Notary or not

Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notary or not

For copies of certificates, other than police certificate, do we actually have to pay a notary to do this or can we use a professional, like a minister of religion or something like that?

What is the cheapest most effective way of doing this?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:29 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notary or not

Originally Posted by TheBear
For copies of certificates, other than police certificate, do we actually have to pay a notary to do this or can we use a professional, like a minister of religion or something like that?

We had ours done by our bank manager...he didn't charge us for a change!! We also had some done by a solicitor...
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:15 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't get anything notarized and had no problems.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:59 pm
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rob_999
I didn't get anything notarized and had no problems.
I didnt get anything done and all was fine
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

We had the employment contracts witnessed by a solicitor for £5 each.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys...I'm assuming those that said they didn't get things notorised include marriage certs etc. You just saved me a bundle! I've lost all my old employment contracts, but will be able to get references and have P60s...I've heard from others that this is enough...if it isn't they can always ask for more I guess.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:02 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys...I'm assuming those that said they didn't get things notorised include marriage certs etc. You just saved me a bundle! I've lost all my old employment contracts, but will be able to get references and have P60s...I've heard from others that this is enough...if it isn't they can always ask for more I guess.
Yep - we literally sent in the entire SW application for me and my wife with nothing notarized. I didn't even realize you were meant to get docs notarized....... Anyhow, CIC didn't ask for further info and application sailed thought with no problems - so I guess they don't really care as long as everything looks legit.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

I got all my 'copies' singed today by a solicitor. In the UK you don't need a notary pubic, who will charge you an arm and a leg, just a commissioner of oaths. Having said that, I didn't get some things signed out of principal, it's obvious I could have faked the original! Cost £60 (12x5)

I believe in the UK it may be easier as the High Commission is in the UK and the level of documentation is generally quite high here compared to the rest of the world (or at least some of it). Most applications come in from more distant lands with a more idiosyncratic system and an official needs as much help as he can get, hence the instructions (which cover every application) are quite comprehensive. Add to the mix that a lot of items need to be translated too, then you can see why it is done.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

sprucemoose is on a distinguished road

We didn't get anything notarised either, no problems. Although the declaration of common law union did have to be witnessed by a commissioner of oaths.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

reggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oicur0t
I got all my 'copies' singed today by a solicitor. In the UK you don't need a notary pubic, who will charge you an arm and a leg, just a commissioner of oaths. Having said that, I didn't get some things signed out of principal, it's obvious I could have faked the original! Cost £60 (12x5)

I believe in the UK it may be easier as the High Commission is in the UK and the level of documentation is generally quite high here compared to the rest of the world (or at least some of it). Most applications come in from more distant lands with a more idiosyncratic system and an official needs as much help as he can get, hence the instructions (which cover every application) are quite comprehensive. Add to the mix that a lot of items need to be translated too, then you can see why it is done.

90 day letter didn't asked that documents be notorised. I did not get anything signed, although most of my documents came from overseas - certificates, job references, etc. I think you ought to follow the instructions on your 90/120 day letter.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

We were able to get ours done for nothing by a notary friend. We saw that most people on BE said they had not bothered and had had no problems, but didn't want to take any chances. If we'd had to pay a big fee, we might not have gone to him.