Wikiposts

Not sure which route to take

Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Minimoinette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure which route to take

Hi guys,

Firstly thank you so much for your help with this

I live in the UK and I'm currently in a LDR with my bf who lives in Montreal (he has a PR) card.

I want to move over to Canada specifically to Toronto with him. Ideally I wanted to move in September but basically asap this year.

I have two routes I've already looked into but I wanted to ask about a third and get opinions on the best one.

Mobility visa
Through my company (advertising agency) I am applying for an internal transfer to the branch in Toronto. Although I told them in May about the wish to move they are currently searching for a job for me in the Toronto office but haven't found anything yet.

Express entry - Federal skilled worker
I have started to collate everything for my application. English test this weekend, but for the french test Alliance Française dont have any availability until October 20th. I've got a BA Hons and a Graduate Diploma in Law. I'm hoping I will be successfully ranked but I'm worried about how long this process could take especially as I can't do the french course until October. Does anyone know the typical length of time I need for this is it 6 months?

Final option
Is there a working visa I can get easily for a year/2 years which will allow me to go over there?
I've spoken to other advertising agencies and they said they can help with jobs once I have a visa. Once I'm there we are planning to be married so I can then apply for the spousal visa.

Please can anyone advise on which of these routes you feel I should stick to? Which is the fastest route to getting there?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks x

Last edited by Minimoinette; Jul 24th 2017 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure which route to take

A key bit of information is missing. How old are you and what is your nationality?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Ah sorry I'm a British citizen and 28 years old.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minimoinette
Ah sorry I'm a British citizen and 28 years old.

Hope this helps
Others who are more expert will doubtless 'chip in', sometime after 14:00 UK time when Canada wakes up!

However, first thought is an IEC as you are under age 30 (that is why I asked you age and nationality - it is 30 for Brits but strangely age 35 if you were Irish). Go over there, get a job, live with your boyfriend, then if you like it, after one year of living together you could go for 'Common Law' under the 'Spousal Sponsorship' route.

See here for IEC:

International Experience Canada : British Expat Wiki

See here for spousal sponsorship:

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:26 am
Just Joined

I've just done the IEC application and they've said I'm in the pool.

Do you know if I can also apply for express entry?

Thank you so much for this, I really didn't think to go through this route and you've been a massive help
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minimoinette
I've just done the IEC application and they've said I'm in the pool.

Do you know if I can also apply for express entry?

Thank you so much for this, I really didn't think to go through this route and you've been a massive help
Yes no reason you cant also apply for express entry via FSW. have you checked eligibility using?
Do you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant?
What is your score for FSW?
Selection factors: federal skilled workers

What are you scoring on the CRS system? This will determine whether you are likely to be selected for express entry.
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry

For you the best bet is to do IEC (working holiday) and then if all goes well transition to PR via CEC. Note that although you have applied for the 2017 IEC the places are almost entirely gone for 2017. I don't know for sue but you may need to apply again for the 2018 when it opens (I don't think applications carry over). Also note it is a lottery system so you may not be selected at all.

In relation to intra-company transfers these are not as simple as they may seem. To qualify you need to fall into one of three specific classes (specilized knowledge, executive or senior managers or functional managers). International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Significant benefit – Intra-company transferees [R205(a)] (exemption code C12)
I am assuming based on your age, I may be completely wrong, that only specialized knowledge would be an option. To make this work you would need to 'demonstrate, on a balance of probabilities, a high degree of both proprietary knowledge and advanced expertise'. Unless you have been with your company for a while and possess niche skills that the company is unlikely to have already in Toronto this may be hard.