not so sunny jim

Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:59 am
Just Joined

not so sunny jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default not so sunny jim

I am trying to find out how to stay permanently in Canada, my Girlfriend is Canadian and I have known her for four years. . She has a Dog Grooming and boarding business and also maintains a farm. She and her ex-husband both want to sponsor me to help run the farm and care for the dogs.
What is the best course of action for me.....by the way I am 61 years old!!
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:50 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not so sunny jim

There are over 50 ways into Canada, so you need to do a bit of research on your own to work out which routes you may qualify for. You haven't given nearly enough information here for us to really help.

One question, though, how long have you and your girlfriend lived together? If it's for 12 months unbroken or more, then you qualify as common-law partners, and she can sponsor you as part of the family class. (Or you could get married and she can sponsor you.) That will take about 8ish months to get your PR, at which point you can live and work in Canada freely. (You can be in Canada as a visitor or under a work permit you qualify for while you wait.)

Have a read of the wiki, in the blue bar at the top, and have a look at some of the different options. If you do some research yourself then ask specific questions you'll find you will get much better responses.

Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Thank you for that, unfortunately we haven't been living together continuously for twelve months just whenever we can away over the last four years. I am at present out in Canada on holiday and I am due back to the Uk at the beginning of November.

Would it be better to get sponsorship from her and her ex-husband and get a work permit that way. They need someone to look after dogs and manage the farm and cannot find anyone local to do so.

Thank you for your help and I will check up on wiki.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Your easiest route is likely to marry her if you can
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:50 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not so sunny jim
Would it be better to get sponsorship from her and her ex-husband and get a work permit that way. They need someone to look after dogs and manage the farm and cannot find anyone local to do so..
They would have to show how they tried to recruit locally and show copies of ads, also explain to HRSDC why they could not find someone within Canada to do the job. It seems a pretty straightforward role to fill from within Canada, so unlikely to be able to sponsor a foreigner, unless you have specialized qualifications and experience in that field.

The other ag option open to them is SAWP and they could hire a foreign worker from Mexico or the Caribbean.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:14 am
Just Joined

My Girlfriend runs dog grooming and boarding business from the farm and she cannot find anyone local able to look after dogs and help maintain the farm
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My Girlfriend runs dog grooming and boarding business from the farm and she cannot find anyone local able to look after dogs and help maintain the farm
OK, so if she can prove that (showing adverts advertising the role across Canada, details of any Canadians that applied and why they weren't suitable etc), then she could apply for a LMIA for you, and if that's granted you'd get a Temp Work Permit.

She'll need to pay a $1000 fee, and pay you the market rate for the role, but if it's a genuine job that she needs filled, then that's a good option.

HTH.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you for that, it does seem the best option for me.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that, it does seem the best option for me.
Yep. I'm not sure what skill level the job would be, you'd need to find out the job title and/or NOC code, but here are the relevant links. One's for lower skilled and other for high skilled, so it will depend on that as to which is relevant.

Hiring Temporary Foreign Workers for Lower-skilled Occupations | ESDC

Hiring Temporary Foreign Workers for Higher-skilled Occupations | ESDC

HTH.