Not much time left on passport

Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not much time left on passport

I have two years left on my passport, should I renew it?

I mean, what if I get a job offer and an LMO with 3 years tagged on it. I won't get a longer TWP than my passport is valid.

And if I end up in Vancouver and need to renew passport I have to fly to Ottawa to the embassy. Has to be done in person at embassy and not at consulate anymore. *sigh*

I'm currently at home and could do it here now.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

bluedog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not much time left on passport

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I have two years left on my passport, should I renew it?

I mean, what if I get a job offer and an LMO with 3 years tagged on it. I won't get a longer TWP than my passport is valid.

And if I end up in Vancouver and need to renew passport I have to fly to Ottawa to the embassy. Has to be done in person at embassy and not at consulate anymore. *sigh*

I'm currently at home and could do it here now.
Have you got a job offer yet?
I am at the start of all this and think I need to change what I am doing!
I have been told that as a Director I fall inder the FSW program, however with the changes I have now been told (on this site) that unless I have a Job offer with a LMO (not sure what LMO is!) then I have zero change of getting a visa via the normal waiting process!
Thanks
Phil
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't have a job offer yet. But am working on that.

LMO = Labour Market Opinion. It's all in the wiki.

I'm not applying for PR before I have a job anyway.

The longer it will take me to get a job offer the less time I will have left on my passport. That is the thing.

(Moderators: I realized I started this thread in the wrong forum. Please move it to Canada forum.)
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:11 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

i'm just re-newing all our british passports.......we've all got at least two years left on them but if you re-new, you will get a full 10 year passport + upto nine months from your old passport.....worth the money, me thinks....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
i'm just re-newing all our british passports.......we've all got at least two years left on them but if you re-new, you will get a full 10 year passport + upto nine months from your old passport.....worth the money, me thinks....
YYZlover, can you add on 9 extra months from your old passport to your new one on a Swedish passport like you can to a British one? If so then I definitely think it's worth doing...if you get the job offer you don't want anything to hold you back! Even if not then it's probably worth it anyway!

Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluedog
Have you got a job offer yet?
I am at the start of all this and think I need to change what I am doing!
I have been told that as a Director I fall inder the FSW program, however with the changes I have now been told (on this site) that unless I have a Job offer with a LMO (not sure what LMO is!) then I have zero change of getting a visa via the normal waiting process!
Thanks
Phil
Hello Phil, a fellow Huddersfudlian I see! Sounds like you need to sit down and have a big Wiki-reading session, really helps you get your head round the different options before asking more detailed questions on here - the BE gang are really knowledgeable and helpful (on the whole) so you'll learn loads really quickly.

Happy reading and good luck with finding the route that's right for you!

Adele
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by adele
YYZlover, can you add on 9 extra months from your old passport to your new one on a Swedish passport like you can to a British one? If so then I definitely think it's worth doing...if you get the job offer you don't want anything to hold you back! Even if not then it's probably worth it anyway!

No, I'd only get a new ten years.

The one I have has only 7 years because the one issued in 2000 broke so they gave me a new one for free but kept the validity of the one that broke. I think I could get a new passport now with ten years on it. It would take 4-6 weeks, though. And if anything transpires in that time frame I could be shafted as passports must be picked up in person.

We'll see what happens now.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I think they do give TWPs longer than the passport is valid - someone here carries the expired passport with his/her TWP in it, along with their new passport. I wish I could remember who though...!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Not much time left on passport

Hi there,

I would get your passport renewed if it's only got 2 years left on it.

My partners open Work Permit (tacked onto my principal applicant TWP) was only valid up to the expiry date of his passport. So his second Work Permit was nearly a year shorter than mine.

By the way, I was under the impression that your first Temporary Work Permit was only issued for 1 year? Then you could renew once (my second one was renewed for a further 3 years). It was all for the same company, but I was told that I couldn't renew any more, I had to apply for PR. Maybe someone else would know if you get more than 1 year on the first TWP.

Hope this helps,

Sarah