Not enough time for IEC

Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:22 pm
Gooner

weavos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not enough time for IEC

Hey everyone. Heres a question for ya. I've been searching the net for the answer but theres so many contradicting answers.

The Situation... I came to Vancouver, last year mid February, with the IEC program. I knew that you'd be able to do another year after, so I wasn't worried. When October 2012 rolled around, I started checking the IEC website every day in the hope they would release the 2013 initiative. They didn't, and its now just over 2 weeks before I have to leave and they still haven't.

It'll probably be open in the next couple of days, but I know that the processing times aren't that efficient.

I have a job offer from my employer, so should I just go down the route of "extending your stay" on the CIC website. All the forms are filled in and ready to rock. I just don't want to apply for that if it A; wont work, and B; I cant get another year of IEC if I dont apply in time.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not enough time for IEC

Originally Posted by weavos
Hey everyone. Heres a question for ya. I've been searching the net for the answer but theres so many contradicting answers.

The Situation... I came to Vancouver, last year mid February, with the IEC program. I knew that you'd be able to do another year after, so I wasn't worried. When October 2012 rolled around, I started checking the IEC website every day in the hope they would release the 2013 initiative. They didn't, and its now just over 2 weeks before I have to leave and they still haven't.

It'll probably be open in the next couple of days, but I know that the processing times aren't that efficient.

I have a job offer from my employer, so should I just go down the route of "extending your stay" on the CIC website. All the forms are filled in and ready to rock. I just don't want to apply for that if it A; wont work, and B; I cant get another year of IEC if I dont apply in time.

Any thoughts?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad new but it IEC isn't extendable under any program or initiative. Your only option is to return home and apply for a new IEC, which will be completely separate from your current one. That or stay as a visitor (you cannot work) until your new one comes through. Do not under any circumstance overstay illegally and work, you will screw yourself for the future.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:49 am
Gooner

So If I were to stay as a visitor, is that as simple as crossing the border and coming back again? I don't need to be out the country for a length of time or anything?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:51 am
Gooner

So If I were to stay as a visitor, is that as simple as crossing the border and coming back again? I don't need to be out the country for a length of time or anything?
As I believe I have to leave the country when my work permit expires...
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:33 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to apply from inside Canada but when your current visa expires you'll have to change to a visitor status and I believe it will involve a trip to the border. Other people with more experience might be able to tell you if that in itself will be an issue. I'm not sure how tough they are on "visitors" as you'll presumably not have a return flight to the UK to show them.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for a change of status to 'visitor' - it will cost you $75 and should be sent to CIC before your current visa expires. There is no need to leave the country.

Online: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_appl...online.asp?s=1

Alternatively, you can apply via snail mail to Ottawa using this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/visitor.asp

Whilst you are waiting for a response from CIC you will be on implied visitor status provided you do not leave the country. However, this does not allow you to continue to work once your current IEC visa expires.

The IEC is supposed to be opening on 1st February.

Edit: If you have a job offer, have you considered applying for PR? You will still need the IEC visa so you can work in the iterim, but it may be worth looking into if you wanted to stay in Canada.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 31st 2013 at 5:23 am.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

As I believe I have to leave the country when my work permit expires...
Officially you do have to leave. As the other people suggested on here you can just change to visitor status until your other IEC is complete. Changing to Visitor status online or at a border crossing isnt just as simple as doing it though, you will need evidence of money to support yourself the entire time you will be a visitor. You will also need proof of insurance (as OHIP wont cover you) and you may be asked for evidence of a return flight as you will be telling them you are only applying for a new IEC, there is no guarantee you will get it so this could be seen as a liability.