Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

not been in home country for 3 yrs prior to IEC

not been in home country for 3 yrs prior to IEC

Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road
Default not been in home country for 3 yrs prior to IEC

my friend who I'm getting an iec visa with is Swedish. She's been in England for ten months and before that Australia for a year. And before that Asia for not sure how long. No more than a year though.

I read somewhere about having to be in your home country for three years before going to Canada - or am I getting something mixed up?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default Re: not been in home country for 3 yrs prior to IEC

Below is copied from the FAQ on the CIC London web site.

Residency Requirements

What does “3 years habitual residency requirement” mean?

This means that that a candidate’s habitual residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time directly prior to applying to the IEC. An exception can be made if the candidate has temporarily resided in a foreign country for studies or short-term work, but the time spent outside the UK must not exceed 18 months cumulative over the three previous years.

Tim
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tim010
Below is copied from the FAQ on the CIC London web site.

Residency Requirements

What does “3 years habitual residency requirement” mean?

This means that that a candidate’s habitual residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time directly prior to applying to the IEC. An exception can be made if the candidate has temporarily resided in a foreign country for studies or short-term work, but the time spent outside the UK must not exceed 18 months cumulative over the three previous years.

Tim
Oh damn.

However...

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...aq.aspx?view=d

Doesn't mention the 3 year thing so maybe it doesn't matter to them? Because they know a lot of Europeans come to England....but English people can't go anywhere in Europe because we don't speak any other language ha
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jg2802
Oh damn.

However...

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...aq.aspx?view=d

Doesn't mention the 3 year thing so maybe it doesn't matter to them? Because they know a lot of Europeans come to England....but English people can't go anywhere in Europe because we don't speak any other language ha
Is this also saying that she can apply now to go in 2012?? It says in faq as well about applying now for 2011 but going in 2012
I'm on my phone so can't open up the per document

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...px?view=d#Set1
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Is this also saying that she can apply now to go in 2012?? It says in faq as well about applying now for 2011 but going in 2012
I'm on my phone so can't open up the per document

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...px?view=d#Set1
Ok she can... There are ten places left for Sweden. If she does and gets a place can she def wait till I've got mine and go in April next year??
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Ok she can... There are ten places left for Sweden. If she does and gets a place can she def wait till I've got mine and go in April next year??
Ok she can. Case closed ha. How unfair though!