Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Not Asked for Goods Following at Landing

Not Asked for Goods Following at Landing

Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:02 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Not Asked for Goods Following at Landing

Originally Posted by bewillow
This does not sound 100% right. You can land, and then leave Canada to live somewhere else for several years (subject to the retention requirements). You still have PR, but you are not resident in Canada. When you next arrive in Canada (not landing this time) after living somewhere else, you can certainly be bringing personal goods with you.
Except that when you re-enter Canada with your PR card, you will be expected to clear customs as a returning resident. If you want to clear customs as a settler, you will have some explaining to do. Customs will at the very least need to prove from their records that you have not already imported your belongings as a settler.

Residence for immigration and residence for tax are two different things, but I don't think residence for immigration and residence for customs can be separated.

If I had my time again, I would either insist they take the GTF list on first landing, or obtain written permission to submit later.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

jwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the rough

When we landed in Vancouver on the 23rd May this year, also stating that we had to return to the UK. I showed the immigration officer the GTF list . She showed very little interest in it and just said: present this to customs when you come to settle. I guess this means that if we ship our goods and they arrive before we do they will have to go into a bonded warehouse?

Regards,

James.

Last edited by jwsadler; Jun 11th 2009 at 12:52 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwsadler
I guess this means that if we ship our goods and they arrive before we do they will have to go into a bonded warehouse?

Regards,

James.
Yes.

This is something that your shippers will sort out for you - but beware of the costs involved this side My advice would be to see if you shippers UK side are willing to throw in some free storage so that your stuff doesnt have to incur charges on this side. In the past have heard people getting stung with huge bills,
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agr
Except that when you re-enter Canada with your PR card, you will be expected to clear customs as a returning resident. If you want to clear customs as a settler, you will have some explaining to do.
I am sure most people re-entering Canada with a PR card are doing so as returning residents. Just as most people entering with Canadian passports are doing so as returning residents.

But some people with PR do move out of the country for a while. As do some Canadians! And it is perfectly normal for them to return to Canada with "stuff" they bought while abroad. If I remember correctly (off the top of my head), you have to have been out of Canada for 6 months to be considered not resident, though I may be wrong about this.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:12 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

...But some people with PR do move out of the country for a while. As do some Canadians! And it is perfectly normal for them to return to Canada with "stuff" they bought while abroad.
But the point is that the 'stuff' they return with is treated differently by Customs than the 'stuff' a settler lands with. As a returning resident, you would not be allowed to bring in, free of duty, a containerload of furniture and effects acquired abroad.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

I have never heard that a returning former resident of Canada will be treated differently than somebody moving to Canada for the first time. Any references?

The rules for returning former residents I found are at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-3-2-eng.html See also http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5087-eng.html

They specify that you need to have been resident for at least a year outside Canada.

The issue may be for people who LAND in canada, then go away and come back within a year.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:51 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

...They specify that you need to have been resident for at least a year outside Canada.

The issue may be for people who LAND in canada, then go away and come back within a year.
That was exactly the OP's position.