Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Not Asked for Goods Following at Landing

Not Asked for Goods Following at Landing

Old May 13th 2009, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

RayS is on a distinguished road
Default Not Asked for Goods Following at Landing

Hi
My wife & I landed this week at Vancouver International airport. We had to wait nearly 3 hours to be dealt with by the Immigration Officer so were pretty jet lagged and a bit stressed as we had another plane to catch within BC.
Anyway he was great, did not ask to see any proof of funds, took some new photographs, accepted we were returning to UK in a couple of weeks and noted a friends address in BC for the PR cards to be sent to.
The problem is he did not ask to see my carefully prepared lists of "goods accompanying " or "goods following" and I forgot to produce them or ask him about them.
So, what should I do about this, as I obviously dont want to be taxed on them when they do eventually come in 6-1 months time? (waiting to sell house).
Cheers
Ray
Old May 13th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Asked for Goods Following at Landing

Originally Posted by RayS
Hi
My wife & I landed this week at Vancouver International airport. We had to wait nearly 3 hours to be dealt with by the Immigration Officer so were pretty jet lagged and a bit stressed as we had another plane to catch within BC.
Anyway he was great, did not ask to see any proof of funds, took some new photographs, accepted we were returning to UK in a couple of weeks and noted a friends address in BC for the PR cards to be sent to.
The problem is he did not ask to see my carefully prepared lists of "goods accompanying " or "goods following" and I forgot to produce them or ask him about them.
So, what should I do about this, as I obviously dont want to be taxed on them when they do eventually come in 6-1 months time? (waiting to sell house).
Cheers
Ray
Hi Ray

If you were just doing a landing for PR and the Immigration Officer knew you were going to be going back to the UK to pack and come back that may be a reason for him not asking you for the GTF.

I shouldnt worry about it - Congrats on Landing
Old May 13th 2009, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

I agree with Gaynor .. I don't think this should be a problem.

Next time you come into Canada, explain to the IO at the first point of contact that you are already a landed PR and that you want to present your GTF list. Then it can all be checked and stamped for when you later want to clear customs following the container's actual arrival ie to make sure you don't pay the tax.

(We shipped our belongings when we had been here for over 2 years on TWPs. It wasn't a problem just to get the paperwork stamped at POE when we came back from the trip spent packing it all up and sending it on its merry way.)

Ie it doesn't have to be done on your first "official" entry to the country.

Wahooo!! You'll be all settled soon, hopefully.

Last edited by Monkey Puzzle; May 13th 2009 at 5:50 am. Reason: clarity
Old May 13th 2009, 8:23 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

We had the exact same thing happen too. So when I got home, I queried this with Canada Custums direct, and this is the response I got back.

"Once you enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for more than 12 months you will be entitled to claim duty and tax-free importation of your personal and household effects as long as you have owned, possessed, and used them before arriving in Canada. At that time you will need to present a detailed list, in duplicate, of all goods which you intend to import. Form B4A can be used, although it is not mandatory. The list of goods should contain the make, model, and serial
number (where possible) of each item and its approximate value. For general household items, it is acceptable to provide a group listing (e.g., kitchen utensils, women's clothing, men's clothing, children's
clothing) and an overall value. This list should be in two parts, showing which goods are accompanying you at the time of arrival and which are goods to follow.

Should you require further information on settlers' effects, you can refer to the Canada Border Services Agency Web site at the following address:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html"

so basically, don't sweat it, you only have to provide that information to the CUSTOMS Officer when you land with the intention of remaining!
Old May 13th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

when i landed ours wasn't detailed enough.

so was told to just complie one like they wanted and present it to the customs officer when the goods arrived and needed clearing.

i wasn't convinced ! but it all went smoothly. so theres nothing to worry about
Old May 13th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

RayS is on a distinguished road

Thanks everybody, you've put my mind at rest and I can see the logic of the Immigration Officer not bothering on this occasion!
Roll on our "real" arrival!

Many thanks
Ray

PS It's pouring with rain here in Nanaimo at the moment but was great yesterday. Visiting Gabriola tomorrow
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:42 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sheadboy
so basically, don't sweat it, you only have to provide that information to the CUSTOMS Officer when you land with the intention of remaining!
There may be differences in the interpretation of this, depending on the customs officer. When we first landed, the customs officer said to submit GTF when we returned to settle. Upon returning to settle a year later, we were told sternly that the only opportunity was on first landing, and we had missed it. I had to do some fast talking: luckily I was able to describe the first customs officer accurately enough to identify him (he had a scouse accent!) and they let it go. So, we got away with it, but it was a dose of anxiety that we could have done without.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:23 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agr
There may be differences in the interpretation of this, depending on the customs officer. When we first landed, the customs officer said to submit GTF when we returned to settle. Upon returning to settle a year later, we were told sternly that the only opportunity was on first landing, and we had missed it. I had to do some fast talking: luckily I was able to describe the first customs officer accurately enough to identify him (he had a scouse accent!) and they let it go. So, we got away with it, but it was a dose of anxiety that we could have done without.
I've also kept the correspondence also from the Customs Office advising me of this as a bit of back up.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

I am just compiling my list of goods to follow for landing this week.
How do you value the items? Is it a value if you had to buy it new or its used value as it is now? How do you value items like personal photographs etc? No commercial value???

Any help please!!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:57 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

Originally Posted by coal
I am just compiling my list of goods to follow for landing this week.
How do you value the items? Is it a value if you had to buy it new or its used value as it is now? How do you value items like personal photographs etc? No commercial value???

Any help please!!
value as to what it would cost you to replace the item.

I didn't put a price on photos. if it only has sentimental value, I left it off.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheadboy
value as to what it would cost you to replace the item.

I didn't put a price on photos. if it only has sentimental value, I left it off.
Another good thing to remember on GTF list is that if you take insurance the value on your GTF is the value that the insurers look at.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agr
This does not sound 100% right. You can land, and then leave Canada to live somewhere else for several years (subject to the retention requirements). You still have PR, but you are not resident in Canada. When you next arrive in Canada (not landing this time) after living somewhere else, you can certainly be bringing personal goods with you.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by agr
we were told sternly that the only opportunity was on first landing, .
I disagree with this one - hubby came first to start work and I followed 3 months later to get a work permit and then went back to the uk for a couple months again. Only on the last and final entry into Canada did my GTF come into any use - although I had completed them for each of the journeys
Old Jun 10th 2009, 11:52 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I disagree with this one - hubby came first to start work and I followed 3 months later to get a work permit and then went back to the uk for a couple months again. Only on the last and final entry into Canada did my GTF come into any use - although I had completed them for each of the journeys
I disagree too, I was just reporting what happened to us. It was a difference of interpretation between the customs officer we saw on first landing and the customs officers we saw on settling.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 11:54 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Another good thing to remember on GTF list is that if you take insurance the value on your GTF is the value that the insurers look at.
How would the insurers have access to a GTF list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.