Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Not accepted to IEC, other options?

Not accepted to IEC, other options?

Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not accepted to IEC, other options?

Originally Posted by iBoBBa
Thank you for your reply, I just have 1 more question for you! We started living together May 19th which was the day i arrived, would 'we' have to wait until then before sending the outland route?

And I would have to go to the border to change my status to visitor 30 days prior to my IEC expiring?
You need to have a minimum of 12 months of living together at the time of application, so yes, you need to wait until May 20th to submit. There is no reason why you can't get everything ready for that though - there is a lot of documentation and proof to get together, lots to have to write and gather plus get your medical done - it needs to be submitted at the same time. It took me about 5 weeks to get it all done.

As to changing your status to visitor, the best thing to do is submit an application for a change of status by mail (yes, I know, but there is a reason) - send it in so it gets there between 10 and 30 days before your IEC visa expires. Explain on the form that you are applying for PR under the family stream - if you can pay the initial submission fee and send a copy (marked copy) of the fee's and include it, it will help - and ask to a) change to visitor status and b) for a 1 year visa. You will need to include confirmation that you or your girlfriend can support yourself financially and that you have sufficient funds or a visa card to enable you to buy a ticket back if your application is not successful.

The reason to send it in by mail is that at present it is taking 109 days to process paper applications; whilst they are processing it you are on implied status and can remain in Canada until a decision is made. You won't be able to work, but at least you get to stay here.

Hope that helps a little.