NOC Help

Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:15 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 23
dayvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NOC Help

Ok, so after my first attempt was knocked back I have decided to put a lot more detail into my Work Experience part of the application form.

What is the general consensus around filling in this part?
Obviously they only leave you 5 boxes for main duties. Under the NOC code system, duties of my job are: -

Descriptor Profile of NOC 1113

Main Characteristics

Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
General learning ability to review financial periodicals, stock and bond reports, business publications and other materials in order to buy and sell stocks, bonds, treasury bills, mutual funds and other securities for individual investors, pension fund managers or companies
Verbal and numerical ability to review financial periodicals, stock and bond reports, business publications and other materials and to carry out investment orders
Innovative interest in identifying potential investments for clients and in preparing investment strategies to help clients achieve their financial goals
Social interest in consulting clients by offering advice and information on various investments to guide them in managing their portfolios; and in developing long-term relationships with clients and a network within the financial industry to gather relevant information
Methodical interest in co-ordinating information to monitor clients' investment portfolios and ensure that investment transactions are carried out according to industry regulations"


Seems a bit strange to write that my current duties are GENERAL LEARNING ABILITY, VERBAL AND NUMERICAL ABILITY, INNOVATIVE INTEREST, SOCIAL INTEREST IN CONSULTING and METHODICAL INTEREST IN CO-ORDINATING

What do most people do? Do you attach a job description? Or would you tailor the above?
Seems to me that they is not an awful lot of room to enter details, or is it just about getting over the first hurdle?
dayvt is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:20 am
  #2  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by dayvt
Ok, so after my first attempt was knocked back I have decided to put a lot more detail into my Work Experience part of the application form.

What is the general consensus around filling in this part?
Obviously they only leave you 5 boxes for main duties. Under the NOC code system, duties of my job are: -

Descriptor Profile of NOC 1113

Main Characteristics

Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
General learning ability to review financial periodicals, stock and bond reports, business publications and other materials in order to buy and sell stocks, bonds, treasury bills, mutual funds and other securities for individual investors, pension fund managers or companies
Verbal and numerical ability to review financial periodicals, stock and bond reports, business publications and other materials and to carry out investment orders
Innovative interest in identifying potential investments for clients and in preparing investment strategies to help clients achieve their financial goals
Social interest in consulting clients by offering advice and information on various investments to guide them in managing their portfolios; and in developing long-term relationships with clients and a network within the financial industry to gather relevant information
Methodical interest in co-ordinating information to monitor clients' investment portfolios and ensure that investment transactions are carried out according to industry regulations"


Seems a bit strange to write that my current duties are GENERAL LEARNING ABILITY, VERBAL AND NUMERICAL ABILITY, INNOVATIVE INTEREST, SOCIAL INTEREST IN CONSULTING and METHODICAL INTEREST IN CO-ORDINATING

What do most people do? Do you attach a job description? Or would you tailor the above?
Seems to me that they is not an awful lot of room to enter details, or is it just about getting over the first hurdle?
You say you have been knocked back - did they say why? What did you put on Schedule 3 last time?
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:24 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 23
dayvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
You say you have been knocked back - did they say why? What did you put on Schedule 3 last time?
"You have indicated that you have work experience in an occupation with the following NOC code: 0111, occupation – Investment Banker, Corporate Banking, Business Banking, Retail Banking. Although this NOC code corresponds to the occupations specified in the instructions identified by the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism and published in the Canada Gazette on 28 November 2008, the main duties that you have listed do not indicate that you performed a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC, including all of the essential duties. As such, I am not satisfied that your experience corresponds to NOC 0111- Financial Managers"

I only put a few lines for each as i didnt do enough research last time. Want to nail it this time though
dayvt is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:27 am
  #4  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by dayvt
"You have indicated that you have work experience in an occupation with the following NOC code: 0111, occupation – Investment Banker, Corporate Banking, Business Banking, Retail Banking. Although this NOC code corresponds to the occupations specified in the instructions identified by the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism and published in the Canada Gazette on 28 November 2008, the main duties that you have listed do not indicate that you performed a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC, including all of the essential duties. As such, I am not satisfied that your experience corresponds to NOC 0111- Financial Managers"

I only put a few lines for each as i didnt do enough research last time. Want to nail it this time though
Okay so you need to take your main duties from here - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=0111 - and you need to be able to back up in past employment reference letters etc that you actually did/do these duties.

What is your actual job?
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:28 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 23
dayvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Okay so you need to take your main duties from here - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=0111 - and you need to be able to back up in past employment reference letters etc that you actually did/do these duties.

What is your actual job?
I put that code last time but i believe (on second look) that i am actually a 1113
So, should I attach a contract?
dayvt is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:30 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by dayvt
I put that code last time but i believe (on second look) that i am actually a 1113
So, should I attach a contract?
If your actually 1113 then you cannot apply as a Skilled Worker as that NOC is not listed on the List of 38 jobs - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list.

So you either have to make your job match 0111 or look at another way in.
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:34 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 23
dayvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
If your actually 1113 then you cannot apply as a Skilled Worker as that NOC is not listed on the List of 38 jobs - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list.

So you either have to make your job match 0111 or look at another way in.
that is the most upsetting news i have had!!!

gutted!!!

thanks for your assistance!
dayvt is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:44 am
  #8  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by dayvt
that is the most upsetting news i have had!!!

gutted!!!

thanks for your assistance!
Don't let it knock you back - what is your actual job title now? Do any of those duties fall into NOC 0111? Where in Canada did you want to move to? Maybe there is a PNP way in instead? Don't give up just yet!
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:48 am
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 23
dayvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Don't let it knock you back - what is your actual job title now? Do any of those duties fall into NOC 0111? Where in Canada did you want to move to? Maybe there is a PNP way in instead? Don't give up just yet!
I am an Investment Banker (one of the most hated people at the moment)
It would be hard to make my job look like a 0111 as, on reflection, the duties are quite different.
Ideally I would like to move to Toronto.
I am 26
I have an uncle & aunt in Calgary, an uncle & aunt in Ottawa and cousins in Calgary and Toronto.

Last edited by dayvt; Dec 29th 2009 at 12:49 am. Reason: missed out a bit
dayvt is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:57 am
  #10  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by dayvt
I am an Investment Banker (one of the most hated people at the moment)
It would be hard to make my job look like a 0111 as, on reflection, the duties are quite different.
Ideally I would like to move to Toronto.
I am 26
I have an uncle & aunt in Calgary, an uncle & aunt in Ottawa and cousins in Calgary and Toronto.
Have you looked at Bunac - http://www.bunac.org/ - as you are under the age of 30.

Other way would be to find a job and come in on a Work Permit.
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:34 am
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 23
dayvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Have you looked at Bunac - http://www.bunac.org/ - as you are under the age of 30.

Other way would be to find a job and come in on a Work Permit.
I'm in a bit of a catch 22....can't get a job without visa and cant get a visa without a job. Tried a few recruitment agencies butt hey have struggles with people like me befoe.

Slightly reluctant to leave my position so i will do some investigating

thanks again for your time!
dayvt is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:40 am
  #12  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Help

Originally Posted by dayvt
I'm in a bit of a catch 22....can't get a job without visa and cant get a visa without a job. Tried a few recruitment agencies butt hey have struggles with people like me befoe.

Slightly reluctant to leave my position so i will do some investigating

thanks again for your time!
Definately look at the Bunac and read up on Temporary Work Permits as much as you can so you can calm the fears of some employers than applying TWP is a nightmare and costly - which it isn't.

Good luck
AmyDavid is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.