Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

NOC Duties listed on skilled and unskilled

NOC Duties listed on skilled and unskilled

Old Sep 21st 2018, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

RealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond repute
Default NOC Duties listed on skilled and unskilled

It's recently been bought to my attention that half the job duties on the skilled noc I am applying under also appear under an unskilled noc for a role in the same industry. Seeing as I'm using most of these, surely there's a chance they wont class me as skilled? I'm shocked to find they are listed on both, it's very misleading.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Duties listed on skilled and unskilled

Originally Posted by RealVileLev
It's recently been bought to my attention that half the job duties on the skilled noc I am applying under also appear under an unskilled noc for a role in the same industry. Seeing as I'm using most of these, surely there's a chance they wont class me as skilled? I'm shocked to find they are listed on both, it's very misleading.

Any thoughts? Thanks
but do you also do the other 50%?
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

RealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

but do you also do the other 50%?
Hey again mate. So I was performing 6/8 of the skilled noc job duties which is pretty good, but 2 of the 6 listed also appear in the unskilled.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

I'm just hoping the immigration officer realises the type of work I do tends to be a mixed role, hospitality isn't as cut and dry as other professions.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 3:51 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just hoping the immigration officer realises the type of work I do tends to be a mixed role, hospitality isn't as cut and dry as other professions.
what is the NOC code and what do you do?
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
what is the NOC code and what do you do?
I don't feel comfortable giving my exact information I'm afraid
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well its somewhat hard to answer your queries.
Here is everything you wish to know about the NOC and why it used. Certain jobs require certain requirements and that is usually mentioned in the NOC and required by the employer and others use words like usually required or maybe required.

Introduction to Edition 2016 of the National Occupational Classification (NOC)

As you have previously stated your NOC could be classed as skilled or unskilled so without knowing exactly it is what you do or your NOC code is then how do you expect someone to help you figure it out?
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 7:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Without that information nobody can help you with this.

What do you think we could do with the information? It is generic - not specific! We are not saying 'where exactly do you work and what days and times!'.

Your job title, a description of your duties and the NOC you believe you would come under are standard questions when seeking advice.

A relative is a Front of House / Dining Room Manager at a restaurant and acting / assistant GM, but he also has to hire and fire staff, deal with customer complaints, write social media, answer the phone and take reservations if the admin person is off, or work the bar if a bar tender doesn't turn up for their shift, run orders from the kitchen or take orders from a customer if a server leaves early, sort out building maintenance issues, stay until 3am to oversee the cleaners and restock the bar or wipe down tables - and is a keyholder. His NOC would be 0631 but he also does duties that could be construed as NOC 6513 or 6311!

Does that tell you where he works or any personal info? Nope

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 22nd 2018 at 7:55 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah fair enough guys, guess I am being a little paranoid!

My letter says I started as a bartender which includes these roles:

Taking drinks orders from servers and customers
Making drinks
Taking payments
Cleaning and restocking the bar
Ensuring liquor license laws are implemented and complied with.

Once promoted I was given the title of 'manager on duty' and completed these new roles:

Training new staff (on both skilled and unskilled NOCs)
Ordering and managing inventory (on both skilled and unskilled NOCs)
Resolving customer feedback and complaints
Making sure health and safety regulations were enforced
Monitoring staff performances
Managing reservations/bookings/buy outs in the restaurant.

My letter is decent, my experience is 18 months rather than just the 12 months required and the company I worked for is a big successful well known one.

I was not given a pay rise and my title on my payslips says 'bartender' which wont help my case. The letter does say however that once promoted we still perform both roles which is why they didn't change my title but that it was a hybrid role and even when I wasn't officially on a managers shift I was still performing the manager duties.

Last edited by RealVileLev; Sep 22nd 2018 at 8:38 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 3:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Not having the title nor a pay rise commensurate with a management position (and preferably salaried) - together with your pay slips stating 'bartender' are going to be strikes against you being able to prove that you held a skilled position for at least 12 months. 'Hybrid role' won't cut it, I suspect.

Manager on Duty is not the same as 'Manager' - it's an interim position (a bit like 'floor walker' where you don't have the full manager title or any of the benefits or salary), but you do the managers role when they are off for that shift / day / evening. It saves the employer taking on a full time manager and the additional expenses.

Which Province are you working in - not BC by chance? The reason I ask is that some Provinces have an 'semi-skilled' stream for PNP, once you have worked for 9-12 months, which might be of help to you. For BC it includes Tourism / Hospitality industry.. could you get an offer of a permanent job from your employers?
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...d-Semi-Skilled
Saskatchewan have a similar program: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/resident...sector-project

Just trying to explore your options a little

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 23rd 2018 at 3:23 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not having the title nor a pay rise commensurate with a management position (and preferably salaried) - together with your pay slips stating 'bartender' are going to be strikes against you being able to prove that you held a skilled position for at least 12 months. 'Hybrid role' won't cut it, I suspect.

Manager on Duty is not the same as 'Manager' - it's an interim position (a bit like 'floor walker' where you don't have the full manager title or any of the benefits or salary), but you do the managers role when they are off for that shift / day / evening. It saves the employer taking on a full time manager and the additional expenses.

Which Province are you working in - not BC by chance? The reason I ask is that some Provinces have an 'semi-skilled' stream for PNP, once you have worked for 9-12 months, which might be of help to you. For BC it includes Tourism / Hospitality industry.. could you get an offer of a permanent job from your employers?
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...d-Semi-Skilled
Saskatchewan have a similar program: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/resident...sector-project

Just trying to explore your options a little
Hey Siouxie. Is doing the managers role more important than salary or benefits? Because it still makes me a skilled worker right?

I've looked at PNP but didn't qualify, I can't remember why. Do I have to be in Canada already? I completed my IEC work visa over a year ago and am now back home. I've looked into school too but it would costs thousands upon thousands and I can't really do it.

Thanks for your words. Not feeling too hopeful but I feel this will come down to the leniency of the VO, not losing hope yet! Nothing like immigration to make your professional skillset feel totally worthless.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Siouxie. Is doing the managers role more important than salary or benefits? Because it still makes me a skilled worker right?
Not necessarily. Job bank has a salary band for each NOC. A immigration officer may use this to determine if you were truly doing the NOC you claim. I.e. if you salary falls below the range or even the median presented for the area you were working in the officer may not be satisfied you were truly completing that role, especially if your title did not change and your payslips use the unskilled title.
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/explorecar...elect=ec-wages

Although it does not affect you this is used when assessing LMIAs, ICTs etc. so immigration do use it as a tool.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

So I just have to hope through their research they will see that my company is legitimate and that my letter from head office is legitimate. I'd hope they'd speak to someone working for the company to clarify the information I've given is true rather than just assume I'm lying because of pay and the title on my payslips. Both these things are addressed in my letter however which I'm hoping will help. I've also heard from a few other people who have got PR through managing, and not necessarily being the general manager. Most managers in hospitality end up doing skilled and unskilled work, it comes with the territory. I've also noticed the duties on the NOCs aren't even that accurate, for example 'hiring and firing' is on the bartender noc. I've never worked anywhere where a bartender or server fires people...
Old Sep 24th 2018, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So I just have to hope through their research they will see that my company is legitimate and that my letter from head office is legitimate. I'd hope they'd speak to someone working for the company to clarify the information I've given is true rather than just assume I'm lying because of pay and the title on my payslips. Both these things are addressed in my letter however which I'm hoping will help. I've also heard from a few other people who have got PR through managing, and not necessarily being the general manager. Most managers in hospitality end up doing skilled and unskilled work, it comes with the territory. I've also noticed the duties on the NOCs aren't even that accurate, for example 'hiring and firing' is on the bartender noc. I've never worked anywhere where a bartender or server fires people...
You've not said, but what route are you applying under? That does have a bearing.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You've not said, but what route are you applying under? That does have a bearing.
CEC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.