Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

NOC Code Confusion - Help Required

NOC Code Confusion - Help Required

Old May 10th 2016, 3:28 am
Just Joined

andrewmarks31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile NOC Code Confusion - Help Required

Hey Guys!

I am in preparing myself for a Canadian immigration. I have one question I would like to clarify.

My degree is in Electrical Engineering. However, I have been doing a software based job in telecommunication sector since more than 6 years. From a NOC list, I can see the NOC Code '2173 Software engineers and designers' fits ok with me considering it has mentioned a role 'telecommunications software engineer' in the example titles (link below).

Unit Group

But NOC Code 2173 also requires candidates to have a degree in computer engineering. Please let me know if I can still apply?

I would like to thank you for reading.
Old May 10th 2016, 3:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Code Confusion - Help Required

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Don't worry about the related job titles, or the requirements - neither actually matter when it comes to choosing your NOC code.

The vital thing is making sure that you do at least half the duties listed under the 'main duties' section, and that you meet the criteria in the opening paragraph, as that's what CIC will be looking for and what you'll need to prove via things like employment references, job contracts, etc.

So just find the NOC with the closest duties to your own and that would be the right one.

Do you need a job offer to get a visa, or do you score enough on the Comprehensive Ranking System to get PR without one? If you do need a job offer and will be working in Canada when you apply, then you'll just go with whatever NOC is on your LMIA/TWP.

HTH, good luck.
Old May 10th 2016, 3:47 am
Just Joined

andrewmarks31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for quick reply.

1. My education is different than the required one in NOC Code. In NOC Code, below degrees are mentioned. However, I have Electrical Engineering' degree. Will it be accepted?

"A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics"

2. I don't have a job offer. How much CRS score is required to get an ITA?

Thanks again.
Old May 10th 2016, 3:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewmarks31
Thank you for quick reply.

1. My education is different than the required one in NOC Code. In NOC Code, below degrees are mentioned. However, I have Electrical Engineering' degree. Will it be accepted?

"A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics"

2. I don't have a job offer. How much CRS score is required to get an ITA?

Thanks again.
1. As mentioned above, this isn't relevant at all.
2. Approx 450-480 as a minimum.

HTH.
Old May 10th 2016, 5:40 am
Just Joined

amarks2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be requiring State Nomination I believe with the requirement of CRS points

1. Do I have to apply for State Nomination before applying for an Express Entry?

2. Which state is the easiest to get in & which state has the most jobs?

Appreciate your help.
Old May 10th 2016, 6:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by amarks2018
I will be requiring State Nomination I believe with the requirement of CRS points

1. Do I have to apply for State Nomination before applying for an Express Entry?

2. Which state is the easiest to get in & which state has the most jobs?

Appreciate your help.
Canada doesn't have states, or state nomination? Do you mean a PNP nomination?

If so, then you don't need it before you apply (assuming you qualify under another program i.e. FSW), but if you don't score enough you'll need it to get selected.

And there is no 'easiest' and even if there was, you shouldn't just do it for that reason! You do actually have to be committed to the province that nominates you and want to live there, so I'd first work out which province you might like to move to, and take it from there. Each province has its own PNP, you can check the requirements for each on their individual websites.

Most PNP streams will require you to have a job offer, so you might find it easier to go down the LMIA/TWP route for the extra 600 points, so do discuss both with your potential employer.

As for jobs, that will depend. You can look on Job Bank to see which province has the most jobs for your NOC code which may give you an idea.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 10th 2016 at 6:25 am.
Old May 10th 2016, 11:18 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Are you answering under amarks and andrewmarks... That seems odd
Old May 10th 2016, 3:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Noted, thanks Stinky.