noc classification-Please help

Old May 21st 2005, 10:21 pm
krn
Forum Regular

krn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the rough
Question noc classification-Please help!!!

Hi, I'm applying from the London Office and just about to fill in the application forms. I need to ask for an opinion on what classification I come under the NOC as I've been searching the whole NOC website and can't seem to get the exact specification.

I work for the NHS as a Health Information Officer and my primary role is to undertake research and to provide information from accredited resources via webmail to the general public. I also do literature searches on databases and also make use of medical and non-medical book resources. I help the Librairian do Website assessments for credibility and suitability for inclusions in the NHS approved website list. I have to keep in mind patient confidentiality, child protection issues, and clinical governance when dealing with enquiries. Knowledge of copyright laws and the use of the Harvard System for citations is essential.

Thanks....any advice welcome.

Last edited by krn; May 21st 2005 at 10:32 pm. Reason: not completed yet!!!
Old May 21st 2005, 10:56 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: noc classification-Please help!!!

Originally Posted by krn
Hi, I'm applying from the London Office and just about to fill in the application forms. I need to ask for an opinion on what classification I come under the NOC as I've been searching the whole NOC website and can't seem to get the exact specification.

I work for the NHS as a Health Information Officer and my primary role is to undertake research and to provide information from accredited resources via webmail to the general public. I also do literature searches on databases and also make use of medical and non-medical book resources. I help the Librairian do Website assessments for credibility and suitability for inclusions in the NHS approved website list. I have to keep in mind patient confidentiality, child protection issues, and clinical governance when dealing with enquiries. Knowledge of copyright laws and the use of the Harvard System for citations is essential.

Guess it could come under Communications (as in marketing comms), Information Services/Management, Business Admin ? Providing job description and experience support any of these (or nearest NOC code), should be fine. Pick nearest similar, won't be a problem, as you may never find exact match based on title alone.

Rich.
Old May 21st 2005, 11:05 pm
krn
Forum Regular

krn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: noc classification-Please help

Thanks Rich.. .

also i am thinking of Library and Archive Technicians and Assistants. But like you say it shouldn't be exact.
Old May 21st 2005, 11:34 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

GOBLIN will become famous soon enoughGOBLIN will become famous soon enough

Click on the link given below to the NOC website and search for occupational descriptions of the following noc occupation codes:

see if any of them matches your actual job duties

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/.../welcome.shtml

Originally Posted by krn

Old May 21st 2005, 11:46 pm
krn
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GOBLIN
Click on the link given below to the NOC website and search for occupational descriptions of the following noc occupation codes:

see if any of them matches your actual job duties

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/.../welcome.shtml

EUREKA...Thanks a Million...code number 5124 matches to the "T".
Old May 21st 2005, 11:57 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

GOBLIN will become famous soon enoughGOBLIN will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by krn
Good Luck with your application!

GOBLIN
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:41 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

It has been so long since we applied I can remember if they asked you to write it or not.

But I can remember we found the code and read th description that was closest to our curretn occupations.Then we wrote a summary of how our job relates to the description, covering as many of the points that were relevant.
I have had two "careers" in my life both very different, both that I am qulaified for so I showed how both NOC codes . This showed( I hope) that I am not pidgeon holed into one job type, and that I would be adaptable. Especailly as people say it is often difficult to get a job in your chosen field initially.
My husband also has two "careers" both of which have been recently quoted as being in demand of workers within BC, on the BC government website. BC is where we are going.

Originally Posted by krn