Noc 7241/7242

Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noc 7241/7242

Hi all,

Just a quick question I wont be fully qualifed to full Electrician for another 20 months, I know it sounds like a long time but not really as my world seems to go fast so I want to prepare my aim is once I am qualified or not long after to move to Canada with my family and setup camp forever.

Anyway my question is and this is owing to the fact I dont want the job to drop off the list. When can I apply for skill worker status because I am thinking it takes quite a while to get a visa.

Say it takes a minimum of 1 year to get the visa can I apply a year before I finish getting qualifed because by the time its done I will be.

I really don't want it to come off the list before I apply and if I wait 20 months thats like 2 more changes to the list

Thanks

Also any tips on applying for Electrician roles out there Resume that kind of thing. I could apply for 2nd 3rd year apprentice do they take on international people for apprentices?

Last edited by neolight90; Jun 11th 2011 at 10:40 am.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Noc 7241/7242

Unfortunately to apply as a skilled worker I beleive you need to have a minimum of a years experience in the job that your qualified to do. You may be able to look at the Provincial Nominee Programme PNP. I have seen apprentices on the NOC list somewhere, but I don't know if its on the elligible occupations list on the immigration website. I woudn't worry too much about the trade dropping off the list, even if it does it will be back on the year after. As far as I am aware, my sources in Canada tell me that the demand for sparkies is only sparce and there are people still being sent home, but it differs somewhat in areas of other Provinces.

So unless a 1000 applications are processed and there's no work for electricians who are already in Canada, it will drop off the list. But as you are probably aware, its an allied building trade and the demand depends on the current and forecasted economy of an area. As for the industrial electrician, the demand tends to be offset by the oil sands demand for trades. And when they're busy, factories and other types of companies sometimes tend to be short of electricians.

You seem only young, so I wouldn't worry about not getting there yet, you have got quite a few years to blossom in your profession and decide exactly what you choose to do with your life and where you want to go. When you have finished your time and college, and obtained your papers, maybe see about working there for a year or so through the PNP programme. In the meantime consider purchasing the CEC, (Canadian wiring regs) and study and compare the differences between the British and North American wiring system.

Anyway, keep popping into this and the other forums for more advice and similiar threads on on migrating. There will be others along with more advce and information.

Good luck with your exams and all the best.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Unfortunately to apply as a skilled worker I beleive you need to have a minimum of a years experience in the job that your qualified to do. You may be able to look at the Provincial Nominee Programme PNP. I have seen apprentices on the NOC list somewhere, but I don't know if its on the elligible occupations list on the immigration website. I woudn't worry too much about the trade dropping off the list, even if it does it will be back on the year after. As far as I am aware, my sources in Canada tell me that the demand for sparkies is only sparce and there are people still being sent home, but it differs somewhat in areas of other Provinces.

So unless a 1000 applications are processed and there's no work for electricians who are already in Canada, it will drop off the list. But as you are probably aware, its an allied building trade and the demand depends on the current and forecasted economy of an area. As for the industrial electrician, the demand tends to be offset by the oil sands demand for trades. And when they're busy, factories and other types of companies sometimes tend to be short of electricians.

You seem only young, so I wouldn't worry about not getting there yet, you have got quite a few years to blossom in your profession and decide exactly what you choose to do with your life and where you want to go. When you have finished your time and college, and obtained your papers, maybe see about working there for a year or so through the PNP programme. In the meantime consider purchasing the CEC, (Canadian wiring regs) and study and compare the differences between the British and North American wiring system.

Anyway, keep popping into this and the other forums for more advice and similiar threads on on migrating. There will be others along with more advce and information.

Good luck with your exams and all the best.
Thanks for the advice I am not doing it like an apprenticeship I am doing the required courses to become fully qualified I am working though as an Electricians mate/Improver does this count as experience? Although it is through agencies

I am not that young im 29 lol ok not that old but I dont want to be closer to 40 I keep worrying that I am getting old and wont be able to enjoy myself as much lol

anyhow what is the demand for sparks in Alberta then?
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

As long a you can prove a years experience in your job after being qualified, you should be OK to apply. When you get to Canada its another story though, you have to prove around 9000 hours of experience that doesn't include your classroom time, to be able to sit the Red Seal exam for your licence. If you have experience of working with an electrician before you went to college, then that should count towards your 9000 hours. As far as I know the demand for electricians in Alberta isn't that great at the moment, but don't worry, it will change. In the meantime you have got quite a bit of studying and working to do before you need to worry about the demand getting greater. And the ideal age for federal skilled worker is actually between 21 and 49, so you have plenty of time.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojovibe
And the ideal age for federal skilled worker is actually between 21 and 49, so you have plenty of time.
But note that this is going to change at the end of the month - a points overhaul is being done, and apparently the age limit for maximum points will be reduced to around 35, with points tailing off after this.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But note that this is going to change at the end of the month - a points overhaul is being done, and apparently the age limit for maximum points will be reduced to around 35, with points tailing off after this.
Still ok for me though as I'm not 35 for 6 years
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neolight90
Yes, it is - but as said above, by the time you are eligible to apply as a FSW, chances are things will have changed even more, or electricians will no longer be on 'the list' anyway. So no point worry about it now really, just wait and see if you are eligible once you are ready to move.

Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neolight90
show off

Lindsey ( aged 39, 11 months and 4 days....)
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Noc 7241/7242

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
show off

Lindsey ( aged 39, 11 months and 4 days....)
And yet you don't look a day over 21