Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

no such thing as obtaining a work permit in advance of entering Canada?? What??

no such thing as obtaining a work permit in advance of entering Canada?? What??

Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough
Default no such thing as obtaining a work permit in advance of entering Canada?? What??

I have tried to find the answer in wiki but no joy...

As some of you may know, we are in the process of moving to Toronto (The idea is that we fly over on 18 Aug, husband will start his new job on 1/9).
Mr B is on an inter-company transfer and his company has said they will arrange for TWP and OSWP for me.

When we questioned them on what the progress was for out TWP they said it was fine and that the application package would be with us at the beginning of August. This seemed to suggest that we had to apply for TWP at POE, something we were not told about before. We have accepted an offer on our UK house, the movers have been contacted and we are arranging a rental in TO...all of this was based on the fact that we would go to TO with a TWP in hand....Now it seems we might even run the risk of being turned away! When we said we were confused and ever so slightly worried, this is what the lawyers at Mr B's Canadian office sent back...

I would like to clarify any confusion you may have. There is no such thing as obtaining a work permit in advance of entering Canada. By legal definition, a work permit can only be issued at a Canadian port of entry. What occurs beforehand with the government is a 'pre-approval'. We file the application with the government, obtain a pre-approval, and then provide you with the pre-approval as part of the application package (along with instructions) to present to the Immigration officer on arrival at the Canadian airport of your choice. You pay the application fee, for which you will be issued a receipt and then submit to XXXXX, and you obtain a work permit. XXXXX has agreed to support your wife's spousal work permit.

I have never heard of this before....I thought people arrived in Canada, clutching TWPs to their chests...are we muppets and have we been reading all the information wrong?? We are panicking slightly about burning all out bridges, only to maybe be turned away at the airport

any thoughts? re-assurances? Please?

Mrs B....
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:15 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no such thing as obtaining a work permit in advance of entering Canada?? What??

Seems clear to me? The permit itself is issued at the port of entry by the Immigration officer.

Everything else leading up to that is a pre approval process, nothing more.

Some classes of permit allow for you to just show up at the border with a job offer and no preapproval and get a permit issued, but for most cases pre approval smooths things out.

Its not like you are going to be refused a permit if pre approval is granted, but the length of permit issued is entirely up to the officer on the day.

Fun isnt it
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:18 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no such thing as obtaining a work permit in advance of entering Canada?? What??

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
I have tried to find the answer in wiki but no joy...

As some of you may know, we are in the process of moving to Toronto (The idea is that we fly over on 18 Aug, husband will start his new job on 1/9).
Mr B is on an inter-company transfer and his company has said they will arrange for TWP and OSWP for me.

When we questioned them on what the progress was for out TWP they said it was fine and that the application package would be with us at the beginning of August. This seemed to suggest that we had to apply for TWP at POE, something we were not told about before. We have accepted an offer on our UK house, the movers have been contacted and we are arranging a rental in TO...all of this was based on the fact that we would go to TO with a TWP in hand....Now it seems we might even run the risk of being turned away! When we said we were confused and ever so slightly worried, this is what the lawyers at Mr B's Canadian office sent back...

I would like to clarify any confusion you may have. There is no such thing as obtaining a work permit in advance of entering Canada. By legal definition, a work permit can only be issued at a Canadian port of entry. What occurs beforehand with the government is a 'pre-approval'. We file the application with the government, obtain a pre-approval, and then provide you with the pre-approval as part of the application package (along with instructions) to present to the Immigration officer on arrival at the Canadian airport of your choice. You pay the application fee, for which you will be issued a receipt and then submit to XXXXX, and you obtain a work permit. XXXXX has agreed to support your wife's spousal work permit.

I have never heard of this before....I thought people arrived in Canada, clutching TWPs to their chests...are we muppets and have we been reading all the information wrong?? We are panicking slightly about burning all out bridges, only to maybe be turned away at the airport

any thoughts? re-assurances? Please?

Mrs B....
At the risk of repeating what iaink said .......

What your employer's lawyer told you is correct.

No one receives a TWP in advance of their arrival in Canada. The TWP is issued at the port of entry (POE).

However, and this is a big however, there are some people who apply to the Canadian High Commission in their country of residence for a TWP. The immigration staff at the relevant visa post (e.g., CHC London) examine the application. If they are satisfied that everything is in order, they write a letter to the applicant that tells him/her that everything is kosher. The applicant takes this letter with him/her when he shows up at a Canadian POE. It then is the immigration officer at the POE who issues the TWP, on the basis of the approval letter from CHC London (or other foreign visa post). If you do it this way, you are more or less assured of being issued with a TWP at the POE. In my 3+ years on this forum, I don't remember hearing of a single case in which a TWP was denied in these circumstances.

There is another way of doing it that several members of this forum have tried and that has been successful in most (but not all) cases. That is to show up at a Canadian POE and apply for a TWP on the spot (without first having applied to the Canadian visa post in your country of residence). There are some circumstances in which you are allowed to do this. As I said, there are many people here who have done it successfully. But there's that finite chance that you'll be turned away because your paperwork is incomplete, and you'll have to turn around and board a plane back to the country from which you came.

There is a Wiki article called TWP : Where to apply. It does not explain that, when you apply from outside of Canada, you're still going to get your TWP issued at the POE. I will add an explanation to that effect to the article.

Edited to add that, if it's an intra-company transfer and if the TWP has been applied for in advance, I cannot imagine the TWP being denied at POE. At that point I'd regard it virtually as a formality.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jun 4th 2008 at 9:21 am.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
Seems clear to me? The permit itself is issued at the port of entry by the Immigration officer.

Everything else leading up to that is a pre approval process, nothing more.

Some classes of permit allow for you to just show up at the border with a job offer and no preapproval and get a permit issued, but for most cases pre approval smooths things out.

Its not like you are going to be refused a permit if pre approval is granted, but the length of permit issued is entirely up to the officer on the day.

Fun isnt it
Ok.....I admit....maybe we are freaking out over little things but all the information that I have read so far, seemed to indicate you could come to Canada with your TWP and all you needed to do was get it stamped... I've just never heard it being called pre-approval.... and yes, the fact that we are about to undertake this huuuuuge thing, might make us a little more hysterical than usual Thank you very much for easing the worst of our fears
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
At the risk of repeating what iaink said .......

What your employer's lawyer told you is correct.

No one receives a TWP in advance of their arrival in Canada. The TWP is issued at the port of entry (POE).

However, and this is a big however, there are some people who apply to the Canadian High Commission in their country of residence for a TWP. The immigration staff at the relevant visa post (e.g., CHC London) examine the application. If they are satisfied that everything is in order, they write a letter to the applicant that tells him/her that everything is kosher. The applicant takes this letter with him/her when he shows up at a Canadian POE. It then is the immigration officer at the POE who issues the TWP, on the basis of the approval letter from CHC London (or other foreign visa post). If you do it this way, you are more or less assured of being issued with a TWP at the POE. In my 3+ years on this forum, I don't remember hearing of a single case in which a TWP was denied in these circumstances.

There is another way of doing it that several members of this forum have tried and that has been successful in most (but not all) cases. That is to show up at a Canadian POE and apply for a TWP on the spot (without first having applied to the Canadian visa post in your country of residence). There are some circumstances in which you are allowed to do this. As I said, there are many people here who have done it successfully. But there's that finite chance that you'll be turned away because your paperwork is incomplete, and you'll have to turn around and board a plane back to the country from which you came.

There is a Wiki article called TWP : Where to apply. It does not explain that, when you apply from outside of Canada, you're still going to get your TWP issued at the POE. I will add an explanation to that effect to the article.

Edited to add that, if it's an intra-company transfer and if the TWP has been applied for in advance, I cannot imagine the TWP being denied at POE. At that point I'd regard it virtually as a formality.
x

Thank you so much! That really has made us feel a lot better I suppose the fact that we have to leave the arranging for the TWP approval to others is making me more nervous than I should be.....Big sigh of relief from our end.... So sorry to trouble everybody with this.... I did look at the wiki about where to apply but I never got that *nobody* arrives with a TWP. I knew about papers having to be stamped but I thought that was not the same as getting your TWP right there and then....I am a silly goose....next time I emigrate to Canada, it will be *much* easier!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: no such thing as obtaining a work permit in advance of entering Canada?? What??

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
Thank you so much! That really has made us feel a lot better I suppose the fact that we have to leave the arranging for the TWP approval to others is making me more nervous than I should be.....Big sigh of relief from our end.... So sorry to trouble everybody with this.... I did look at the wiki about where to apply but I never got that *nobody* arrives with a TWP. I knew about papers having to be stamped but I thought that was not the same as getting your TWP right there and then....I am a silly goose....next time I emigrate to Canada, it will be *much* easier!
Glad i read this post mrs b it was most helpful i myself too thought that you had a twp clutched in hand least i know otherwise now!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

oh and good luck in toronto
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that when you arrive and they issue your TWP that the information is correct. In my case we were very tired/jetlagged with 2 small kids. This doesn't help you think!
I managed to spot that my husband's DOB was wrong but missed the fact they had me and my daughter as male! I then had to get it amended at a later date. They also put on it that I was accompanying my husband! This was Montreal though and she was a French speaking immigration officer.

And yes, we had pre-approval and the TWP was issued at POE. We are now PRs though
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:56 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs B,

I too have recently applied for a TWP on an intra-company transfer basis - I have sent off the application and I'm waiting for it to come back now, hopefully won't take long, otherwise I will too be in a panic.....

I'm expecting as you say to have a pre-approval letter that I will take to POE (TO) to get the TWP issued.

We'll be arriving a couple of weeks after you, so please post back your landing experience