British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   No PR Cards and needing to return to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/no-pr-cards-needing-return-canada-728641/)

Lyndsay13 Aug 15th 2011 8:27 am

No PR Cards and needing to return to Canada

Hi,
We landed and activated our visas in June this year but had to return to the UK to complete our house sale. However, our PR cards have still not arrived and it is now over the 39 business days deadline that CIC are quoting for the issue of new PR cards. As we are outside of Canada though we are unable to contact the call centre to find out how much longer they will be.
Am I correct in thinking that we can obtain travel documents from the London visa office in the meantime? I've tried contacting the office but without success.
I've read on here that some people have re-entered Canada with their COPR forms but I am not willing to pay out for flights and risk not being allowed in.
My questions are:-
1) can we go to the London office and apply for the travel document there in person?
2) does anyone know how long it takes to obtain the document?
3) the form for this application has a section relating to residency obligation but we were only in Canada for 3 weeks after we landed - will this make a difference?
Any advice appreciated.

singingringingtree Aug 15th 2011 10:33 am

Re: No PR Cards and needing to return to Canada

We returned to the UK after landing and my OH went back a few months later without a PR card - he didn't obtain a travel doc, he just showed his COPR and did not have any problem. Friends of ours did the same. It's all on the computer. I have never heard of anyone not being able to enter. He just told them he was here to collect the PR cards as they couldn't be posted outside Canada. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has experienced a problem with this.

Lyndsay13 Aug 15th 2011 10:43 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. Did he have return tickets for the airline as I think the airline can deny you boarding if you have one way tickets and no PR card.

Also, on our COPR paperwork that's attached to our passports, it has printed on it in bold letters "not valid for travel" which is why I'm worried about travelling with just that and no PR cards.

It's so frustrating that you can't get hold of anyone at CIC to speak to.

JAJ Aug 15th 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Lyndsay13 (Post 9560312)
Also, on our COPR paperwork that's attached to our passports, it has printed on it in bold letters "not valid for travel" which is why I'm worried about travelling with just that and no PR cards.

But you have a passport, don't you? That's a travel document ...

Read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

singingringingtree Aug 15th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Lyndsay13 (Post 9560312)
Hi, thanks for the reply. Did he have return tickets for the airline as I think the airline can deny you boarding if you have one way tickets and no PR card.

It's so frustrating that you can't get hold of anyone at CIC to speak to.

Yes, he had a return ticket, but our friends had one-way tickets. They all travelled with Canadian Affair (Thomas Cook planes). OH went to Vancouver, friends went to Calgary.

Lyndsay13 Aug 15th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9560408)
But you have a passport, don't you? That's a travel document ...

Read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

Thanks for that. Would I still need a return air ticket or is a British passport and the fact that we've previously applied for the PR cards sufficient enough for the IO to allow us entry into Canada on a one way ticket?
I'm just confused as to why all the information from CIC doesn't state anywhere that permanent residents from a visa waiver county will be ok to enter with just their passports?
I'm just so nervous about any problems with the airline or IO as we will be travelling with our 8mth old baby and the journey will be stressful enough :eek:

Waggle Aug 15th 2011 1:18 pm

I will probably be in a similar position in October.

We are going for 2 week landing trip in a couple of weeks, then returning to UK. After I've served my notice at work planning to go over and even if the PR cards have arrived at our rented apartment in Canada I won't find out until after I get there.

My understanding is that the issue with a one-way ticket is not with the customs officials at the airport, since the filled-in backcopy of the COPR and visa sticker in your passport clearly demonstrate you are a landed PR. The problem lies with the actual airline allowing you to travel without a return ticket.

I gather the travel document isn't expensive (like £30 or so) but the biggest pain is that you do actually have to collect it from London visa office. Was thinking I would potentially try to order one and then collect it the day before on my way to Gatwick or something.

Anyway - the wiki looks useful so I will give that a read, thanks :)

Wayne.

Waggle Aug 15th 2011 1:21 pm

The link to the travel document on the wiki is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMa...ons/travel.asp

It clearly says "Use this travel document if you have lost your documents showing your permanent residence status."

Surely the visa sticker in your passport and the copy of your COPR is sufficient proof of permanent resident status?

Reading between the lines it seems the only issue is with the individual airline.

Wayne.

chobert Aug 16th 2011 11:41 am

Hi all, I landed in March and gave a relatives address for the PR card. It hasn't arrived and we took a flight on Sunday from Heathrow to Halifax. I did however book a return flight as it was cheaper.

No problem at all with Air Canada UK side - and no problem at all at passport control in Halifax. I explained that i'd previously 'landed' in March, was asked how long since we left Canada and the officer looked at my COPR document - he also asked about our 'goods to follow' list - I confirmed this had all been done back in March so it was as simple as that - he said there was no need to go to immigration or customs as i was a returning resident :thumbsup: So relieved of course but didn't expect any problems really - I now just need to chase up my PR card now we're here.

britsnake Aug 16th 2011 2:16 pm

As has been said, travel documents are something the airline may ask for (especially if it is a low cost airline).

Even with the low cost airlines they do not ask every time. Even if they do ask you can usually get through after a few hard questions and a delay.

If you wish yo apply for travel documents, you can apply in person in London, and providing you go early they issue it the same day.

It does not matter that you were only in Canada 3 weeks. I was only in Canada 3 days and they still issued it to me.

iaink Aug 16th 2011 2:20 pm

No British passport holder has EVER to my knowledge posted here to say they were either refused access to a flight, or entry to Canada for want of a PR card or travel document. There is sometimes a few questions and a pissy immigration officer, but everyone to my knowledge has made it back OK.

The only post I recall where there was a refusal was a pakistan passport holder, who would of course have required a visa to enter Canada as a tourist.