Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

No PR Card - What Happens When eTa Begins

No PR Card - What Happens When eTa Begins

Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow No PR Card - What Happens When eTa Begins

Hi guys,
My colleague is a permanent resident and holds her record of landing from 30+ years ago. She landed with her parents and has remained in Canada ever since. She has no PR card.
With the introduction of eTA for return to Canada via air in March 2016, what does she need to know?
E.g. with no PR card is air travel possible until she applies for a PR card? My feeling is with airline staff, they could be told, this is what a PR card looks like, no other paperwork is admissible.
Your thoughts are appreciated,
Sarah
(We've told her at length that she should be a citizen by now! People don't realise as she sounds Canadian).

Last edited by SarahBC; Jan 13th 2016 at 7:20 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No PR Card - What Happens When eTa Begins

Since 2002 she has had ample opportunity to apply for a PR card or even citizenship.
PRs are exempt from obtaining an eTA.
If she flies via the USA and enters Canada by vehicle then no eTA required but she would need an ESTA to enter the USA and legally she is not even allowed to do that though the US don't seem to care about it.
She needs to apply for a PR card or travel and get a travel document issued abroad.
Apply — Permanent resident card

Let me guess she wants to travel in the next few months?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will be more than airline staff just recognising what a PR card looks like. As I understand it, they will be checking all passengers destined for Canada on a system to get a board/no board message:

About the initiative
As per current practices, all travellers, including Canadians, must provide valid documentation to board an aircraft. The IAPI process begins when air carriers electronically transmit passenger information to the CBSA for international flights destined for Canada. The CBSA verifies this information against Canada's immigration data to confirm that the traveller has the prescribed travel document (for example, visa or eTA) if one is required and that the traveller may enter Canada. The IAPI system also sends a "board/no-board" message to air carriers before the individual boards a flight to Canada.

Perimeter security and economic competitiveness - Interactive Advance Passenger Information (IAPI)

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 14th 2016 at 1:46 am.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks FL & Snowy,It sounds like the old days of just having to convince a CBSA officer face-to-face that you are a genuine PR are long gone.From Snowy's info it is very much in the hands of the airline to determine who boards the plane based on the documentation requirements - not much negotiation or grey areas there.I will pass this information on.Thanks so much for your help,Sarah
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

nataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to all

I tried to board a Toronto bound flight from Paris without a PR card in December and they refused to let me board the plane. Had to reroute via New York and drive across the border.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Natalie sorry to read this but great you let people on here know.

I think PRs really need to take on board that from March 15th certainly no PR card = No travel back to Canada by air (and even now they are tightening up as you found out). It means getting a PRTD or drive (as you did) in a private vehicle across the border.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 15th 2016 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nataliehahn
I tried to board a Toronto bound flight from Paris without a PR card in December and they refused to let me board the plane. Had to reroute via New York and drive across the border.
Woohoo the system working as it should do.
Sorry not trying to be mean but travelling without a valid PR card or travel document is a risk which I keep telling people but they don't listen.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Woohoo the system working as it should do.
Sorry not trying to be mean but travelling without a valid PR card or travel document is a risk which I keep telling people but they don't listen.
While I no longer do the job, I was the bad guy more then once on our Toronto bound flights having to deny people boarding because of lack of proper documents. And this was way before all the extra stuff in place now...

I traveled with a travel doc in 2012 as my PR card was taking forever to process, and I still got a lecture for not having the card by CBSA officer at the ON/NY border.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 9:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi guys,
My colleague is a permanent resident and holds her record of landing from 30+ years ago. She landed with her parents and has remained in Canada ever since. She has no PR card.
With the introduction of eTA for return to Canada via air in March 2016, what does she need to know?
E.g. with no PR card is air travel possible until she applies for a PR card? My feeling is with airline staff, they could be told, this is what a PR card looks like, no other paperwork is admissible.
Your thoughts are appreciated,
Sarah
(We've told her at length that she should be a citizen by now! People don't realise as she sounds Canadian).
She will need to get a Travel Permit before she returns, I believe.

Permanent resident travel document