Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

No PR card and need to re-enter Canada

No PR card and need to re-enter Canada

Old Dec 28th 2018, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

harryg7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No PR card and need to re-enter Canada

Hello,

I need some urgent help.

I received my PR landing on 22nd October 2018. I was advised it would take between 1 and 2 months to receive my PR card in the mail.

On the 19th December, I was due to fly out to England due to family reasons - at this point I had still not received my PR card but I then had no choice but to travel..

now, my question is, having explored the PR Travel Document Route (which I can’t do as I need to travel by next Wednesday and there isn’t enough days to obtain), is it possible for me to enter Canada through the means of land? I understand I’d need the card to enter via plane.

Please advise!

thanks
Old Dec 28th 2018, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No PR card and need to re-enter Canada

Originally Posted by harryg7
Hello,

I need some urgent help.

I received my PR landing on 22nd October 2018. I was advised it would take between 1 and 2 months to receive my PR card in the mail.

On the 19th December, I was due to fly out to England due to family reasons - at this point I had still not received my PR card but I then had no choice but to travel..

now, my question is, having explored the PR Travel Document Route (which I can’t do as I need to travel by next Wednesday and there isn’t enough days to obtain), is it possible for me to enter Canada through the means of land? I understand I’d need the card to enter via plane.

Please advise!

thanks
Yea, you can fly to tge US (you would need an ESTA), then get someone to pick you up by car and drive you to a Canadian land border. CBSA can check on their system. Handy if you have your sramped copy CoPR.
Old Dec 28th 2018, 4:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No PR card and need to re-enter Canada

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?

As Hurlabrick said, you can cross the border by private vehicle - but be prepared for some questions. You should also be aware that if you are considering flying on a one way ticket into the US you may have issues... see this post for important information: Settling Trip Via the US You will need an eSTA as mentioned.

Hopefully you have kept your stamped/signed copy of your COPR somewhere safe - you will also need it in years to come for your Pension and Citizenship, but ideally unless you have your SI# with you, this is the best way to show you have PR.

Presumably you were aware of the need to obtain a PRTD - it would have been to your advantage to have applied for it on your first day of arrival in the UK - you could have had it expedited and back before the 2nd.