Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Old Dec 13th 2009, 12:30 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 82
snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough
Default No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

I wonder if anyone knows the latest or has been able to get a positive LMO lately?

I ask because OH's employers told him they have been unable to get a new LMO for him. They were told on the phone no new LMO's are being issued at the moment regardless of whether you are skilled or unskilled or are already in a job here.

This was after employers did all the necessary advertising/application etc.

I know things have tightened up on the LMO front but I wasn't aware they had stopped issuing them completely???

Thanks in advance.
snow valley is offline  
Old Dec 13th 2009, 1:42 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
PaulOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 197
PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

I will ask my company's HR Manager and immigration advisor on Monday about this if you haven't got an answer by then 'snow valley'.

You are in a similar position to me (in the process of applying for PR but needing a new LMO/TWP in the meantime). This is BIG news if it turns out to be accurate. Yes, Alberta is suffering increasing unemployment but to formally end the issuing of LMO's seems drastic.

Regards
PaulOK is offline  
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:07 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sherwood Park - Alberta
Posts: 761
JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Paulok

What area(s) is the increased unemployment coming under ? or is it general ?

With the price of Oil up my understanding is that some Projects are back in progress in the Industrial sector and I see a lot of positions advertised.

JET
JET747 is offline  
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:51 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
PaulOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 197
PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Originally Posted by JET747
Paulok

What area(s) is the increased unemployment coming under ? or is it general ?

With the price of Oil up my understanding is that some Projects are back in progress in the Industrial sector and I see a lot of positions advertised.

JET
Hi

I'm quoting the general rise in unemployment in Alberta. It's currently at around 7.5 per cent of the workforce, up from 3.7 per cent a year ago. Alberta is posting some of the sharpest rises in unemployment.

You're right about the oil price. The word is some of the big Oil Sands projects that were shelved are to be reactivated in the New Year but it may take another while for things to really take off again.

Last edited by PaulOK; Dec 13th 2009 at 2:55 am.
PaulOK is offline  
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:30 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 342
Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Originally Posted by snow valley
I wonder if anyone knows the latest or has been able to get a positive LMO lately?

I ask because OH's employers told him they have been unable to get a new LMO for him. They were told on the phone no new LMO's are being issued at the moment regardless of whether you are skilled or unskilled or are already in a job here.

This was after employers did all the necessary advertising/application etc.

I know things have tightened up on the LMO front but I wasn't aware they had stopped issuing them completely???

Thanks in advance.
This'll be interesting! Especially since we're awaiting two unskilled LMO's - would love to know if it's true. Keep us posted 'Snow Valley' - and I'll ask OH's employer to get some information too.
Lloydies is offline  
Old Dec 13th 2009, 5:53 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 82
snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Originally Posted by PaulOK
I will ask my company's HR Manager and immigration advisor on Monday about this if you haven't got an answer by then 'snow valley'.

You are in a similar position to me (in the process of applying for PR but needing a new LMO/TWP in the meantime). This is BIG news if it turns out to be accurate. Yes, Alberta is suffering increasing unemployment but to formally end the issuing of LMO's seems drastic.

Regards
Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, OH received this news second hand from someone other than the HR Dept, so I want to be sure wires/info have not been crossed somewhere. Can't find out any more til next week now.

I can't find any information out there to support this LMO "suspension" not even on the CIC LMO section - so would be very interested to hear what anyone else's employers know of the situation?

What is certain though is that we CANNOT get a new LMO (whatever the reason is!)
snow valley is offline  
Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:40 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Alberta!
Posts: 58
ant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really niceant11 is just really nice
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

I have had a positive LMO from Alberta issued in the last 6 weeks. I am a health care professional
Ant
ant11 is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:12 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 121
Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

How can i find out if this is true. As i need to renew my twp this month ready for june next year
Kirsty John and Dominic is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:32 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 342
Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

We've received OH's positive LMO - probably issued last week 11th Dec, but received by us today WOOOOOHOOOOOOO
Lloydies is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:35 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 342
Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Originally Posted by snow valley
Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, OH received this news second hand from someone other than the HR Dept, so I want to be sure wires/info have not been crossed somewhere. Can't find out any more til next week now.

I can't find any information out there to support this LMO "suspension" not even on the CIC LMO section - so would be very interested to hear what anyone else's employers know of the situation?

What is certain though is that we CANNOT get a new LMO (whatever the reason is!)
Can't his employer appeal because they're supporting him down the 'AINP Employer Stream' route?
Lloydies is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:16 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
PaulOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 197
PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Hi

I have just gotten off the phone with my company's Calgary based immigration advisor and she told me that they are still issuing positive LMO's in Alberta and that she received a few last week. She seemed a bit incredulous when I asked about it and said it would have been a major news story if it were accurate. It would have meant that Alberta was effectively shutting down a major part of its immigration system.

She also told me that once you have provisional approval under the AINP scheme (it's currently taking around 8 to 9 months to get this from the date of initial application) then this exempts you for the need for an LMO in future, if you happen to need one for TWP renewal, while you wait for PR to be finalised under AINP.

I agree with 'Lloydies' point above and maybe speak to your OH's employer 'snow valley'. I'm sure there's something that could be done to get around this considering you're in the AINP stream already and probably not that long from approval.


Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited by PaulOK; Dec 14th 2009 at 3:48 pm.
PaulOK is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:47 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 82
snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Originally Posted by Lloydies
We've received OH's positive LMO - probably issued last week 11th Dec, but received by us today WOOOOOHOOOOOOO
That's fantastic news - I am so pleased for you!
snow valley is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:48 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 82
snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Originally Posted by PaulOK
Hi

I have just gotten off the phone with my company's Calgary based immigration advisor and she told me that they are still issuing positive LMO's in Alberta and that she received a few last week. She seemed a bit incredulous when I asked about it and said it would have been a major news story if it were accurate. It would have meant that Alberta was effectively shutting down a major part of its immigration system.

She also told me that once you have provisional approval under the AINP scheme (it's currently taking around 8 to 9 months to get this from the date of initial application) then this exempts you for the need for an LMO in future, if you happen to need one for TWP renewal, while you wait for PR to be finalised under AINP.

I agree with 'Lloydies' point above and maybe speak to your OH's employer 'snow valley'. I'm sure there's something that could be done to get around this considering you're in the AINP stream already and probably not that long from approval.


Good luck and hope this helps.
Thanks PaulOK - that's really helpful and interesting. As we speak, we are waiting for a call back from HR with an update! Will keep you posted.

Cheers
snow valley is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:39 pm
  #14  
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 821
lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Originally Posted by snow valley
Thanks PaulOK - that's really helpful and interesting. As we speak, we are waiting for a call back from HR with an update! Will keep you posted.

Cheers
On the letter your employer received should be a reason why they refused the LMO, what your employer needs to do is do everything and alittle bit more before reapplying.........
I have seen this happen a few times now and honestly like the other poster said if they had closed there doors in alberta then it would be a massive story here..
Is your HR using a lawyer or doing it alone
Sometimes employers get scared when a letter like that comes through, but they are just wanting the employers to go that extra mile at the moment.
Any help just yell

LB
lancashirebird is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:29 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 82
snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: No more LMO's being issued in Alberta?

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
On the letter your employer received should be a reason why they refused the LMO, what your employer needs to do is do everything and alittle bit more before reapplying.........
I have seen this happen a few times now and honestly like the other poster said if they had closed there doors in alberta then it would be a massive story here..
Is your HR using a lawyer or doing it alone
Sometimes employers get scared when a letter like that comes through, but they are just wanting the employers to go that extra mile at the moment.
Any help just yell

LB
OK, after having palpitations all day, think I have got to the bottom of this.

HR Department asks Business Unit Manager to call for update on LMO application. He has call with girl who answers phone who is full of doom and gloom and paints a really bleak picture.

She explains how difficult it is to get an LMO and says they have virtually stopped issuing them, but doesn't talk specifically about our LMO application.

Manager is concerned (he doesn't usually get involved with this side of the business)- visits OH to tell him can't get LMO coz girl on phone says so.

HR Dept today say, slow down horsey, we haven't heard anything official about OH's case either way - this is just someone's opinion at the end of the phone who isn't handling the file! Let's wait to hear officially first before we get alarmed.

I'm sorry to have concerned anyone unduly - I know I frightened myself! So LMO still being considered and hasn't been refused YET anyway ..

Cheers everyone.
snow valley is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.