Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:36 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
ailsagj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

Hi everyone - new to all this so apologies for lots of really dumb questions.

My husband and I have been contemplating emigrating to Canada for a while, I have filled in one of the on line assessments using my hubby's jobs as the skilled worker as he is an IT professional with over ten year's experience.

It came up that we don't have enough points, I am guessing this is because he has no formal education since leaving high school. He has done various IT quals since like Prince and ITIL but nothing through a formal educational institution and no degree.

Does anyone out there know whether Canada is worth pursuing? I'm worried that this lack of degree is going to make us a non starter.

I have a degree but my specialism is HR and not sure this is a profession which is required.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks
ailsagj is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:47 pm
  #2  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

The qualifications which your husband has done suggest that he is either working towards a career in Project Management or something similar so again he may qualify under the category of Computer and Information Systems Manager which is definitely on the list.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

Have you taken a pre-assessment test yet? It's free and you can do it online. With the right level of skills and experience then he may not necassarily need a degree.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:42 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
ailsagj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

We did an online assessment with canadavisa.com and that came back as unlikely to get a visa, I assumed it was because he had no degree. I did a points calculator one and we only got 60 points and that was including basic french as a second language based on him having done quite well at school with french.

It feels like his lack of post school education may be a real stumbling block even though I agree his job almost certainly comes under the skilled worker criteria.
ailsagj is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:49 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,101
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

Originally Posted by ailsagj
We did an online assessment with canadavisa.com and that came back as unlikely to get a visa, I assumed it was because he had no degree. I did a points calculator one and we only got 60 points and that was including basic french as a second language based on him having done quite well at school with french.

It feels like his lack of post school education may be a real stumbling block even though I agree his job almost certainly comes under the skilled worker criteria.
Can you let us know how you calculated the points? It would be unusual to only get 60, especially as he can claim points for your degree too - do none of his qualifications count as a 'non-university diploma'? Bear in mind that basic French is equivalent to A level standard, I don't know how long he did it for at school, but just something to consider.

Whereabouts are you hoping to go and are you under 30 by any chance?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:50 pm
  #5  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

You realise that his certifications can be counted as post secondary education though? The only problem being that the test usually states 2yr/3yr etc so you may have to do some time calculations.

Prince2 would definitely count as a trade certificate though, especially if he is a fully certified practioner.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:11 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
patriciaparker5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

Hi
Immigrating to Canada under a provincial immigration, there are two, as far as I am aware, Nova Scotia and Quebec, and that certificate can be less onerous.
patriciaparker5 is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:15 pm
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,101
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

Originally Posted by patriciaparker5
Hi
Immigrating to Canada under a provincial immigration, there are two, as far as I am aware, Nova Scotia and Quebec, and that certificate can be less onerous.
Can you be a little clearer for the OP please. Which PNP stream are you referring to, and which certificate?

And you've now got two usernames (your original one was changed as requested), so we'll need to delete one, which one would you prefer we got rid of?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:09 pm
  #8  
Future Albertan
 
Kaye.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 546
Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No degree - non starter??? HELP please.

Originally Posted by ailsagj
Hi everyone - new to all this so apologies for lots of really dumb questions.

My husband and I have been contemplating emigrating to Canada for a while, I have filled in one of the on line assessments using my hubby's jobs as the skilled worker as he is an IT professional with over ten year's experience.

It came up that we don't have enough points, I am guessing this is because he has no formal education since leaving high school. He has done various IT quals since like Prince and ITIL but nothing through a formal educational institution and no degree.

Does anyone out there know whether Canada is worth pursuing? I'm worried that this lack of degree is going to make us a non starter.

I have a degree but my specialism is HR and not sure this is a profession which is required.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks
Where are you hoping to emigrate to? If an option for yourselves is Nova Scotia then take a read of this.

If you are under 30 and have no kids you could apply for a BUNAC visa.

Good luck.
Kaye. is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.