Nicknames and declaration

Old Mar 13th 2017, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

kryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nicknames and declaration

Hi guys,

Another night of worry for me and some assistance would be appreciated.

I'm days away from submitting my eApr.

My *example* name is Marie Louise Jones. That's my birth certificate name and the name in my passport.

My name day to day is Marie-Louise. It's how my parents wrote out my name and something that I occasionally use.

I'm usually careful to make sure my legal name without the hyphen is on official documents but I have come to an issue.

In my PR app it asks about other names used. I thought that it's best to say yes and list the hyphened name. I have got a one and the same name affidavit and my uk PCC has both names as "No Trace".

I've realised though that I likely didn't declare my past hyphen name version in my past IEC visas. Is this going to be a major issue? The hyphen appears on my 2012 T4s but not my 2013 T4s. CRA have not queried this. Am I over worrying about a "-"?

Will a brief explaination of "I'm not sure if the use of hyphen counts as a different name but I have listed it here" with the affidavit be enough?
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nicknames and declaration

Originally Posted by kryt0n
Hi guys,

My *example* name is Marie Louise Jones. That's my birth certificate name and the name in my passport.

My name day to day is Marie-Louise. It's how my parents wrote out my name and something that I occasionally use.

I'm usually careful to make sure my legal name without the hyphen is on official documents but I have come to an issue.

In my PR app it asks about other names used. I thought that it's best to say yes and list the hyphened name. I have got a one and the same name affidavit and my uk PCC has both names as "No Trace".

I've realised though that I likely didn't declare my past hyphen name version in my past IEC visas. Is this going to be a major issue? The hyphen appears on my 2012 T4s but not my 2013 T4s. CRA have not queried this. Am I over worrying about a "-"?

Will a brief explaination of "I'm not sure if the use of hyphen counts as a different name but I have listed it here" with the affidavit be enough?
It won't be a problem as you will be providing copies of passport details etc. I doubt IRCC will reject an application over a hyphen either missing or added.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

kryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It won't be a problem as you will be providing copies of passport details etc. I doubt IRCC will reject an application over a hyphen either missing or added.
Thank you. This is reassuring. I have never thought of this variation as a different name, just another way of writing it out.

I see here my student loans statement also has Marie-louise down. My documents are a mix of Marie Louise and Marie-Louise.

I hope that not mentioning this on a past IEC won't come back to haunt me?
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kryt0n
Hi guys,

A would think a letter of explanation would suffice. It is only a hyphen after all. We submitted my wife's details (whos passport is still in her maiden name) with a letter of explanation detailing that her official name is different to the name she uses socially and professional.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
A would think a letter of explanation would suffice. It is only a hyphen after all. We submitted my wife's details (whos passport is still in her maiden name) with a letter of explanation detailing that her official name is different to the name she uses socially and professional.
Thank you.

I suddenly had a moment of "wow... some docs say Marie-Louise but others say.... erm....."

I got the affidavit a few weeks ago but now it's getting closer to submission I was getting more concerned that this might have been an issue.