Next step to staying in Canada

Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:45 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
lozza23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Next step to staying in Canada

Hi all

I am hoping someone can help me.. I have been quietly trawling these forums for a few weeks now and sending myself in spins trying to find out what i need to find out. So i have decided to go the best way about that and just ask!

I am on my second IEC work permit, living and working in Ottawa. This runs out in May 2014 and already having sat on it too long i really need to get the wheels in motion for what to do next. I am a Scottish girl who moved to Ottawa to be with my Canadian boyfriend and plan to stay here. But i really am confused as to how i can go about staying/working.

At the moment i am a waitress and i have just got a casual position in a bank which i start in 10 days. I have lived with my boyfriend the whole time i have been in Canada (arrived April 2012) and have no "skilled" qualifications.

Having talked to/read about a whole host of options i think the best one for me is spousal sponsorship (i think?!) The LMO would perhaps be an option but as my bank job will only be casual to start with i need to wait to a permanent position to open up which i can then apply for. But even still i'm not entirely sure on this.

Any help/guidance/opinions would be much appreciated as i am putting off doing anything for the reason that i dont know what im doing!

Thanks muchly..

Lx
lozza23 is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:49 am
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next step to staying in Canada

Originally Posted by lozza23
Hi all

I am hoping someone can help me.. I have been quietly trawling these forums for a few weeks now and sending myself in spins trying to find out what i need to find out. So i have decided to go the best way about that and just ask!

I am on my second IEC work permit, living and working in Ottawa. This runs out in May 2014 and already having sat on it too long i really need to get the wheels in motion for what to do next. I am a Scottish girl who moved to Ottawa to be with my Canadian boyfriend and plan to stay here. But i really am confused as to how i can go about staying/working.

At the moment i am a waitress and i have just got a casual position in a bank which i start in 10 days. I have lived with my boyfriend the whole time i have been in Canada (arrived April 2012) and have no "skilled" qualifications.

Having talked to/read about a whole host of options i think the best one for me is spousal sponsorship (i think?!) The LMO would perhaps be an option but as my bank job will only be casual to start with i need to wait to a permanent position to open up which i can then apply for. But even still i'm not entirely sure on this.

Any help/guidance/opinions would be much appreciated as i am putting off doing anything for the reason that i dont know what im doing!

Thanks muchly..

Lx
Spousal (common-law) sponsorship would be the way to go as it is by far the easiest (and one of the quickest) ways for PR. You have already met the requirements of living together for more than 12 months. If you get your application done quickly, you could have PR by about the time your current IEC runs out or very shortly after.

You should use this application pack: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp whilst it says outland it is perfectly acceptable to submit an outland application, even if you are residing in Canada. It is far quicker than 'inland' processing would be.

Make sure you have lots of supporting documentation and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!


Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 7th 2013 at 6:52 am.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:26 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
lozza23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Next step to staying in Canada

Thanks for the super quick reply siouxie.. A few things initially..

- Is the application done online or do you have to print and post in?

- In terms of "documentation" - what kind of thing would this be? Photos, valentines cards etc?

- How long would spousal sponsorship cover me to stay here for?

Have you yourself applied for it or are you just very clued up!?

Lx
lozza23 is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:30 am
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,162
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next step to staying in Canada

You have to print it and post it, you'll need proof of living together (so Valentines cards etc won't do that, you need things like joint bank account, joint rental agreement, joint insurance, utility bills in both names etc), and you'd get PR, so you'd be a Permanent Resident. The clue as to how long you can stay is in the title.

The best thing to do is look at the link Siouxie gave you, as that gives you the answers to the above, so start with that and have a good read. The Wiki article on Spousal Sponsorship is also worth a look.

Once you've done that then shout with any specific questions.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:41 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
lozza23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Next step to staying in Canada

Just starting to pull stuff together now... Theres a lot to be done!

In terms of the medical? Do both my partner and I both have to get one done or just me? How much should i expect to pay for it/them?

Lx
lozza23 is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:48 am
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,162
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next step to staying in Canada

Originally Posted by lozza23
Just starting to pull stuff together now... Theres a lot to be done!

In terms of the medical? Do both my partner and I both have to get one done or just me? How much should i expect to pay for it/them?

Lx
Just you, and approx £200-300. Best thing to do is you're unsure about who needs to do what, is to look at the document checklist so you can see what you need to send with your application.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 1:55 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
DizzyLizzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 23
DizzyLizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Next step to staying in Canada

Hi Lozza I got here on a spousal and my medical cost $170 in Ontario, depends on the province I guess but it is quick and easy to do. Good luck from what you say a spousal is definitely the way to go
DizzyLizzy is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:18 pm
  #8  
The ride never ends
 
orly's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 2,481
orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next step to staying in Canada

Originally Posted by lozza23
Thanks for the super quick reply siouxie.. A few things initially..

- Is the application done online or do you have to print and post in?

- In terms of "documentation" - what kind of thing would this be? Photos, valentines cards etc?

- How long would spousal sponsorship cover me to stay here for?

Have you yourself applied for it or are you just very clued up!?

Lx
- Print and post

- Photos, joint bank accounts (I'd go so far as to make this an essential proof you give evidence of), joint rent/mortgage/insurance/bills...anything with both names on it. Proof of trips to see each other before you came to Canada if applicable. As you're not married you might want to get signed and dated letters from family and friends attesting to your relationship being known to them and genuine (you'd have to include copies of each of these peoples passport info pages too as anyone could write a letter and send it in)

- Permanently, subject to the conditions imposed.
orly is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:54 am
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
lozza23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Next step to staying in Canada

Originally Posted by DizzyLizzy
Hi Lozza I got here on a spousal and my medical cost $170 in Ontario, depends on the province I guess but it is quick and easy to do. Good luck from what you say a spousal is definitely the way to go
Thanks Dizzy.. I am in Ottawa so hopefully $170 will be about the going rate!
lozza23 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.