Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A next giant leap.... is it stupidly complex?

A next giant leap.... is it stupidly complex?

Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold
Default A next giant leap.... is it stupidly complex?

Following Santa bringing myself and my better half a pair of lovely PR visas, i think the New Year's fog has cleared enough, for us to act out our plan...

It is my hope that you good and wise people might have experience of, or an opinion on what i propose we do next....

With our finances not being as plentiful as they once were, due to current exchange rates, it has become as vital as ever to at least try to secure work asap and thus hit the Canadian ground running.

And so we will be mail shot-ing our resumes far and wide over the next few weeks, with the hope of securing a meeting or 10 in early to mid-March. I am wondering though if the current climate makes such things futile, as nobody is really hiring, especially not people currently in the UK?

Our 'recce' is also timed to allow us to meet up with friends in Banff, to enjoy some mountain air, which brings concerns about our place of landing:

We would wish to fly into Calgary, even though our intended destination for residence has always been Vancouver. Vancouver even features on the documents received with our PR visas and so is this likely to cause the landing officials in Calgary concern? Are we committed to landing in the destination we specified initially?

Also, because of our long term plans being based in Vancouver, we are hoping to get the PR cards delivered to a Vancouver based PO box. Are the officials likely to have an issue with this?

Finally, this is only a short lived 'recce' trip, as a return to the UK is required to complete the sales of 'stuff' and the fulfillment of work and tenancy periods of notice.... and so we are hoping to forward our PR cards from the Vancouver PO Box to a UK address....

Is this all too convoluted a plan to be necessary?
Could we simply allow the PR cards to remain in the PO Box and await our collection when we return using the usual visa waiver mode of entry?

Failing any such things, (or even the ability to rent a Postal Box given our current location,) would CIC frown upon our getting our PR cards delivered to a friend's address...in Toronto!!?

Life is seldom as simple as we would prefer it to be and we hope you do not feel we bring such situations upon ourselves. As such, your advice would be gratefully received as we appreciate the best solution is often / always the simplest.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:41 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A next giant leap.... is it stupidly complex?

Hi

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
Following Santa bringing myself and my better half a pair of lovely PR visas, i think the New Year's fog has cleared enough, for us to act out our plan...

It is my hope that you good and wise people might have experience of, or an opinion on what i propose we do next....

With our finances not being as plentiful as they once were, due to current exchange rates, it has become as vital as ever to at least try to secure work asap and thus hit the Canadian ground running.

And so we will be mail shot-ing our resumes far and wide over the next few weeks, with the hope of securing a meeting or 10 in early to mid-March. I am wondering though if the current climate makes such things futile, as nobody is really hiring, especially not people currently in the UK?

Our 'recce' is also timed to allow us to meet up with friends in Banff, to enjoy some mountain air, which brings concerns about our place of landing:

We would wish to fly into Calgary, even though our intended destination for residence has always been Vancouver. Vancouver even features on the documents received with our PR visas and so is this likely to cause the landing officials in Calgary concern? Are we committed to landing in the destination we specified initially?

Also, because of our long term plans being based in Vancouver, we are hoping to get the PR cards delivered to a Vancouver based PO box. Are the officials likely to have an issue with this?

Finally, this is only a short lived 'recce' trip, as a return to the UK is required to complete the sales of 'stuff' and the fulfillment of work and tenancy periods of notice.... and so we are hoping to forward our PR cards from the Vancouver PO Box to a UK address....

Is this all too convoluted a plan to be necessary?
Could we simply allow the PR cards to remain in the PO Box and await our collection when we return using the usual visa waiver mode of entry?

Failing any such things, (or even the ability to rent a Postal Box given our current location,) would CIC frown upon our getting our PR cards delivered to a friend's address...in Toronto!!?

Life is seldom as simple as we would prefer it to be and we hope you do not feel we bring such situations upon ourselves. As such, your advice would be gratefully received as we appreciate the best solution is often / always the simplest.

Many thanks.
1. Calgary/Vancouver it doesn't matter as long as it is not Quebec.
2. Your PR cards will not be delivered to a PO Box.
3. Have them sent to a friends address in Toronto.