Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

News regarding un-landed COPR holders

News regarding un-landed COPR holders

Old Mar 24th 2020, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default News regarding un-landed COPR holders

I was under the impression that IRCC would simply extend the validity period of COPRs for anyone unable to travel due to government restrictions. If I read it correctly IRCC are now saying that expired COPR holders will have the decision reversed and need new medicals and police checks and then be re evaluated!. Doesn't seem very fair at all.

the info on this is here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nent_residence
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: News regarding un-landed COPR holders

Under the prevailing global pandemic, why would you be surprised that a new medical will be require?
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Under the prevailing global pandemic, why would you be surprised that a new medical will be require?
In that case why not have medicals everyone not just for expired COPR holders
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
That's a very fair question, and if an instant/near instant (less than one hour) test for coronavirus infection becomes available, I could envisage all airline passengers being tested at the airport before they are allowed to fly.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 24th 2020 at 2:50 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that IRCC would simply extend the validity period of COPRs for anyone unable to travel due to government restrictions. If I read it correctly IRCC are now saying that expired COPR holders will have the decision reversed and need new medicals and police checks and then be re evaluated!. Doesn't seem very fair at all.
Seems fair enough to me, and I'm sure most would be expecting it, it's the same as if applications are delayed for any other reason so in line with usual policies. It is only for those from China at the mo, so I doubt will affect many BE members anyway.

Because most other visas (IEC, TWP, study permits etc) don't require medicals in the first place.

Incidentally, I've amended your thread title, there's enough worry for people at the mo without you 'shouting' or telling people that they should be concerned! This is what CIC would normally do anyway if somebody can't land before a medical expires, so there's no need for people to panic about it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 24th 2020 at 2:59 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: News regarding un-landed COPR holders

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Seems fair enough to me, and I'm sure most would be expecting it, it's the same as if applications are delayed for any other reason so in line with usual policies. It is only for those from China at the mo, so I doubt will affect many BE members anyway.

Because most other visas (IEC, TWP, study permits etc) don't require medicals in the first place.

Incidentally, I've amended your thread title, there's enough worry for people at the mo without you 'shouting' or telling people that they should be concerned! This is what CIC would normally do anyway if somebody can't land before a medical expires, so there's no need for people to panic about it.
Fair enough to you maybe but I can't afford to be so smug. It's not you who has £5k laid out on flights that look like they won't be happening and the airline are saying they won't give refunds, its not you who has now been told they may have to re do meds and police checks. Do you know that meds are £330 each plus £70 train fare plus a day off work, police checks £55 each now times that by 5 and you might get the picture of why I am not panicking but very anxious.
I also don't think usual polices fit the current circumstances really, do you?
Old Mar 24th 2020, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough to you maybe but I can't afford to be so smug. It's not you who has £5k laid out on flights that look like they won't be happening and the airline are saying they won't give refunds, its not you who has now been told they may have to re do meds and police checks. Do you know that meds are £330 each plus £70 train fare plus a day off work, police checks £55 each now times that by 5 and you might get the picture of why I am not panicking but very anxious.
I also don't think usual polices fit the current circumstances really, do you?
Actually, I have laid out that amount on flights, more in fact. I'm supposed to be flying on 2nd April. I'm also self-employed and have no income, and I rent rooms in my home out on Air BnB which of course means I don't have that income either. Everybody is in the same situation at the moment, the vast majority of people are facing huge financial losses, so not sure why you feel the need to be so aggressive to others. If this nightmare has taught us anything, it should be that we're all in it together and that the 'Be Kind' movement has never been more relevant.

So call me 'smug' if you like, but I'm simply pointing out the rules and that what you've posted is the same as what would normally happen if you couldn't land before your COPR expired any other time as well. You panicking people isn't going to help anybody, particularly when nobody has actually said you need to re-do your medical or police cert anyway (unless you're in China?).

BTW, if your airline won't refund you and they cancel (rather than you cancelling), then point them in the direction of EU laws regarding cancelled flights.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 24th 2020 at 3:23 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

IRCC are now allowing COPR holders to travel https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-measures.html
Old Apr 20th 2020, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Chloe_Elliot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Revin Kevin,

Any updates on your situation? I'm in a similar boat and wondering how to move forward.

Best,
Chloe
Old Apr 20th 2020, 4:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

the info on this is here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nent_residence
That has been the case for years. Once the 1 year medical validity has expired there is a requirement to obtain new medical reports - but that link (which is operating instructions) is for applicants from the Far East - China, etc., if you are from the UK it won't apply to you.