Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Newcomer needs a little help in the right direction!

Newcomer needs a little help in the right direction!

Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

jadielane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newcomer needs a little help in the right direction!

Thanks so much for your advice.

I thought as much.

To be honest, it's swaying towards the whole FSW option more and more every day I think.

TWP would be brilliant but both of our options involve getting a secured job anyway so why not go the whole hog and go for PR whilst we're at it.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 1:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jadielane
Thanks so much for your advice.

I thought as much.

To be honest, it's swaying towards the whole FSW option more and more every day I think.

TWP would be brilliant but both of our options involve getting a secured job anyway so why not go the whole hog and go for PR whilst we're at it.
I've been away, but a belated welcome to the forum!

One thing to consider with FSW cat 2, is are you sure your mum's potential employer would be prepared to wait a couple of years for her to be able to start work? It's fairly unusual for that to be the case, most people have to go over on a TWP first.

But yes, you are correct that as the dependent child of a TWP holder in Ontario, you would get an open work permit. As you said, it's a pilot program and there are only a few provinces that allow it, ON being one of them.

Good luck with it all.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've been away, but a belated welcome to the forum!

One thing to consider with FSW cat 2, is are you sure your mum's potential employer would be prepared to wait a couple of years for her to be able to start work? It's fairly unusual for that to be the case, most people have to go over on a TWP first.

But yes, you are correct that as the dependent child of a TWP holder in Ontario, you would get an open work permit. As you said, it's a pilot program and there are only a few provinces that allow it, ON being one of them.

Good luck with it all.

Thank you! Well this is the one thing swaying our original hope of cat 2 is the whole employer being willing to wait. We're open to the idea of the TWP and think that is a good idea but I guess we got put off a little thinking I wouldn't be eligible for an open work permit. I was sure i had read that so thank you for confirming!
Another thing is I read on the CIC website (maybe I didn't and I'm making this up but i think i did!) is that the last applications for that pilot program is july 2012 and all things considered, there is no way we'd be ready to apply in july this year!

Do you think there will be another pilot program starting the following year or am I just being too hopeful?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jadielane
Thank you! Well this is the one thing swaying our original hope of cat 2 is the whole employer being willing to wait. We're open to the idea of the TWP and think that is a good idea but I guess we got put off a little thinking I wouldn't be eligible for an open work permit. I was sure i had read that so thank you for confirming!
Another thing is I read on the CIC website (maybe I didn't and I'm making this up but i think i did!) is that the last applications for that pilot program is july 2012 and all things considered, there is no way we'd be ready to apply in july this year!

Do you think there will be another pilot program starting the following year or am I just being too hopeful?
You're right, there's very little chance of you being able to move before July, even if your mum finds a job offer asap. Does she already have one in palce by the way?

Most of the pilot programs have been renewed in the past, so I'd say there's a good chance. But of course, that doesn't mean it will definitely still be in place after July! Guess you'd just have to wait and see, and if it's not in place then you could always apply for an IEC visa to give you a year or two's open work permit until PR came through.

Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're right, there's very little chance of you being able to move before July, even if your mum finds a job offer asap. Does she already have one in palce by the way?

Most of the pilot programs have been renewed in the past, so I'd say there's a good chance. But of course, that doesn't mean it will definitely still be in place after July! Guess you'd just have to wait and see, and if it's not in place then you could always apply for an IEC visa to give you a year or two's open work permit until PR came through.

That's very true. Unfortunately, no she doesn't. We are currently searching for her plus we have relatives out there who are a big help in helping us look, too.
Must mention we are taking a trip there in June to try and further look for a job if we haven't already found something!

That does sound promising and we will see what happens on the pilot program. Fingers crossed, eh!