Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Newcomer needs a little help in the right direction!

Newcomer needs a little help in the right direction!

Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

jadielane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcomer needs a little help in the right direction!

Hi everyone, my name is Jade and I've been reading this forum for some time now before becoming a member.
Just wanna give a quick overview of my status:

I am 19, soon to be 20 and me and my mum have decided to move to Canada where we have relatives. I am here posting as quite frankly my mum has left me in charge of finding out all the info, getting the right forms, etc and that's fine with me.

As i said earlier, i have been reading the forum for a while and all this time, me and my mum have been certain on entering Canada the FSW cat 2 route as it's not possible for us to enter the cat 1 way.

I would just like a little advice from anyone who has been through the same/or going through whether it is more beneficial to get the job offer (hard enough in it's own right, I know!) then go through the FSW cat 2 immigration process
OR
would it be better for my mum to gain her TWP/LMO with job offer, and then at a later stage, apply for FSW ?

(N.B: I am my mums dependant, and on the website at the moment it would enable me to accompany with an open permit as the location we would be going to is Ontario).

Hope that makes sense and any help or advice at all would be greatly received, thanks so much.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomer needs a little help in the right direction!

Originally Posted by jadielane
Hi everyone, my name is Jade and I've been reading this forum for some time now before becoming a member.

I am 19, soon to be 20 and me and my mum have decided to move to Canada where we have relatives. I am here posting as quite frankly my mum has left me in charge of finding out all the info, getting the right forms, etc and that's fine with me.

As i said earlier, i have been reading the forum for a while and all this time, me and my mum have been certain on entering Canada the FSW cat 2 route as it's not possible for us to enter the cat 1 way.

I would just like a little advice from anyone who has been through the same/or going through whether it is more beneficial to get the job offer (hard enough in it's own right, I know!) then go through the FSW cat 2 immigration process
OR
would it be better for my mum to gain her TWP/LMO with job offer, and then at a later stage, apply for FSW ?

(N.B: I am my mums dependant, and on the website at the moment it would enable me to accompany with an open permit as the location we would be going to is Ontario).

Hope that makes sense and any help or advice at all would be greatly received, thanks so much.
I'm afraid I don't know but wanted to wish you well and bump you back up to the top!!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 12:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OR
Hi, it's not easy to say. What sort of thing does your mum do for a living?

On TWP? That's news to me. On FSW (PR) then yes. (Actually you'd get your own PR) But you should check that for TWP. You'd get a study permit for sure, but an open work permit? I don't think so (but I'm no expert).

Welcome aboard.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 13th 2012 at 1:10 am. Reason: 2nd thoughts.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 1:14 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

OR

With out telling anyone to do their job- I think the best help you will get is if this is re-posted or moved by a Mod to the "immigration" section. That way it will gain mor exposure to people going through the process with more qualified advice.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for replying, I appreciate it. I will point out I have no idea if I even posted this in the right place at all so thanks for suggesting it be moved.

and to Novocastrian- thanks for your response.

My mum works in education, has previously owned her own nurseries, that kind of thing.

Well i didnt think that was possible either but having a little scout around, I found something on the website that said the dependant of an applicant on TWP could be eligible for an OWP if they lived in a certain province, providing they was looking for a job under a particular scheme. In our case, it's Ontario and at the moment it says you can apply under something called a Pilot scheme (may have got that name wrong but it's something similar!)
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well i didnt think that was possible either but having a little scout around, I found something on the website that said the dependant of an applicant on TWP could be eligible for an OWP if they lived in a certain province, providing they was looking for a job under a particular scheme. In our case, it's Ontario and at the moment it says you can apply under something called a Pilot scheme (may have got that name wrong but it's something similar!)
JamesM was right, this should be moved to immigration where the experts hang out. They could tell you definitively if the OWP for dependents of TWP's (in Ontario or elsewhere) applies to sons/daughters or only to spouses.

I think it's the latter, but I'm not one of the experts.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

I hope it could possibly get moved. Although i'm not sure how?

But thank you so much for taking your time to respond to me!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:32 pm
Born again atheist

You now have posted three times which means you now have access to the private message system. Send a PM message to iaink or to christmasoompa (the local moderators) and ask them to move it.

Or just stamp your feet and scream until one of them notices.

Oh heck, I'll do it for you.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Tis done.... dont worry about PMimg
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your help.

Fingers crossed I get a little advice on the right track
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:35 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by iaink
Tis done.... dont worry about PMimg
Was it the stamping?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How close are the relatives here? All things being equal sponsorship is often the quickest easiest way to Canada.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Was it the stamping?
LOL, you know me, I hang on your every word
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

I wish it were that simple- see we did look into that.

However our relatives are on my mums side, the main relative being her cousin. Which i dont think really counts as being a close relative, or does it?!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I wish it were that simple- see we did look into that.

However our relatives are on my mums side, the main relative being her cousin. Which i dont think really counts as being a close relative, or does it?!
No, you are right, thats not close enough to do much good.

The rights of dependents of TWP recipients depend on what class the TWP is. The ontario PNP pilot scheme is pretty small scale at present, to be honest Im not even sure what jobs it covers (primarily medical maybe?)... sorry not much use.

The trick in either case (FSW or TWP) is to get the job offer I guess. Its usually easier to get the job after PR, but Im proof that you can come on a TWP and make it to PR and citizenship too. I cant offer much advice though as it was a while ago for me, and I wasnt actively trying to get here, it all sort of fell in my lap.

Education and ECE is not going to be that easy to get a LMO in Im afraid, too many teachers looking for full time work as it is i suspect, so I would try and focus on the FSW route if its practical to do so. Thats not an expert opinion though...

Last edited by iaink; Feb 13th 2012 at 8:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.