Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Newbie with a Study permit question

Newbie with a Study permit question

Old Nov 28th 2016, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Helsyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie with a Study permit question

Hi there, (apologies if I ramble, I'm new at this )
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me;
I am hoping to spend 2 years studying a diploma in Ontario, taking my husband and 2 school age children with me. I have been accepted by Niagara College. Hubby is self employed and will be able to work from Canada with an open Work Permit, it's the application forms for the kids I'm confused by.
Everything I've read says that they don't need study visas if they are travelling with a parent that has a study or work permit, however in the application process if I put that they want to study for more than 6 months it comes up that I need to get study visas for them both also.
Obviously this is a problem because they don't have school places as yet.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.
Cheers.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie with a Study permit question

Originally Posted by Helsyi
Hi there, (apologies if I ramble, I'm new at this )
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me;
I am hoping to spend 2 years studying a diploma in Ontario, taking my husband and 2 school age children with me. I have been accepted by Niagara College. Hubby is self employed and will be able to work from Canada with an open Work Permit, it's the application forms for the kids I'm confused by.
Everything I've read says that they don't need study visas if they are travelling with a parent that has a study or work permit, however in the application process if I put that they want to study for more than 6 months it comes up that I need to get study visas for them both also.
Obviously this is a problem because they don't have school places as yet.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.
Cheers.
Hello and welcome to BE!

Your husband should be able to obtain his OWP at the port of entry (airport) and you can get visitor records for your children (at no cost) at the same time. No study visa's necessary!

You can read more here: Can a minor child go to school in Canada without a study permit?

and here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12061366

The trick is not to put them down on your application for a study permit (nor your husband for his OWP).

Do make sure that the college is on the designated learning institution list, to ensure that you will get a study visa. Designated learning institutions list

Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:35 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie's given you all the info you need, so you should be set with that. Niagara College is on the list of designated learning institutions, so you should be golden there.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to post back! Tons of people here and willing and ready to help!

Best of luck on your new adventure! Wheeee!
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello and welcome to BE!

Your husband should be able to obtain his OWP at the port of entry (airport) and you can get visitor records for your children (at no cost) at the same time. No study visa's necessary!

You can read more here: Can a minor child go to school in Canada without a study permit?

and here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12061366

The trick is not to put them down on your application for a study permit (nor your husband for his OWP).

Do make sure that the college is on the designated learning institution list, to ensure that you will get a study visa. Designated learning institutions list

Thanks so much, this is fab!
The College is on the list of Designated Institutions, one of the many many lists I've encountered since we started this adventure, getting the feeling it's not going to be the last
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks SchnookoLoly