Wikiposts

Newbie questions

Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Amanda411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newbie questions

Good Morning Everyone!

My name is Amanda and I hail from the USA. I know this is a British site but everyone seemed so knowlegable,and I am in need of suggestions. I am twenty four years old married with no children. My husband and I have been looking into immigrating to Nova Scotia for some time now. I am a receptionist and he is an Accountant currently in school working on his Masters. He will be done in about a year.

Is it difficult to aquire a visa for Nova Scotia? Our goal is to open our own accounting business in NS, is that even possible? I doubt we fall under the Skilled Workers and we have no family in NS. I'm just not even sure where to begin if we are looking to move in 2 years. Should I start now?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA for any and all help.

Amanda.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newbie questions

Hi, welcome to BE

I can't help you but have you had a good read of here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

or here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...an_Immigration

Good luck
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda411
Good Morning Everyone!

My name is Amanda and I hail from the USA. I know this is a British site but everyone seemed so knowlegable,and I am in need of suggestions. I am twenty four years old married with no children. My husband and I have been looking into immigrating to Nova Scotia for some time now. I am a receptionist and he is an Accountant currently in school working on his Masters. He will be done in about a year.

Is it difficult to aquire a visa for Nova Scotia? Our goal is to open our own accounting business in NS, is that even possible? I doubt we fall under the Skilled Workers and we have no family in NS. I'm just not even sure where to begin if we are looking to move in 2 years. Should I start now?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA for any and all help.

Amanda.
Hi, and welcome to the site. If you definitely don't qualify as a Skilled Worker (unfortunately, accountants were removed from the list of eligible occupations last week!), do a search on the forum and Google for 'Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream' - part of the NS Provincial Nominee Program.

It would get you Permanent Residency so you can open your own business, so could be a good option for you.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much! It is very confusing but your replies have helped. Anyone know the average wait time for a temp. work permit?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much! It is very confusing but your replies have helped. Anyone know the average wait time for a temp. work permit?
Depends on the length of the queue at the Port of Entry, maybe half an hour?? But the Labour Market Opinion can take up to six months (and many are being refused at the mo), and of course finding a job can take a while in the current economic climate.

There are people on this forum who have been looking for a year or two, and haven't yet even got a job offer, never mind the LMO, but then again others have been lucky and got one almost straight away.

for you if you decide to go down that route.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:31 am
Just Joined

:Crossing fingers and toes:

I know this is going to be a long drawn out process. I will not be discouraged. I will not be discouraged. I will not be discouraged.

Thank you both for your kindness.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I hail from the USA.
You may also want to look at NAFTA arrangements. This may allow you to move to Canada easier, but I don't know enough about the programme to give you any suggestions, other than take a look at it:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/sp...ness.asp#nafta

Ray