Newbie with questions!

Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

emmag26uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Newbie with questions!

*waves*

Hi everyone

I've been reading through the articles on this site for some time now (especially the beginners guide!) and I'm certain that Canada is the place that I want to be with my husband and children. I do think I have a problem or three though and I was wondering if anyone had any answers that might help me out.

First off I know there are police checks, thats problem number one. I have a record showing that I had a caution for drunk and disorderly when I was 19, a caution for petty shoplifting when I was 12 and a record of being bailed on suspicion of child neglect (unproven and case closed, daughter basically wanted attention). Anyway, other than that, my husband had a mental breakdown ten years ago and as a result, attempted to rob a bank. Although he was charged with it and convicted, because of his mental health and the fact social services never helped him or his ex, they let him free that day. That was over 10 years ago. How badly will those two things affect any applications we make?

Also we are both students. I am on my second year of a BA in History and Politics and he is doing an MA in peace and conflict resolution. It has been a couple of years now since I actually held a job and that was only in customer services although I did stay with the company for three years. I have also been trained alongside my uni degree to be an air hostess (although I don't know how helpful that is) and I wanted to know if not having much job experience would limit us in what we could do or where we could go. My hubby hasn't any real work experience as he was a carer for his ex for 17 years before he met me so I don't how badly that will affect anything either.

Finally, we have two kids under 10. If by some miracle the first two problems don't stop us, will the kids be a problem? I mean is canada happy to accept full families immigrating? If so, where is the best place to be headed for a family?

Anyone who got to the end of this essay, I applaud you! Thanks for reading and any advice is gratefully appreciated even if it is to tell me that we don't stand a teapots chance in heck!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newbie with questions!

Hey Emma,

Before worrying about police checks etc, you need to think how you would get a visa. Most people here use the skilled worker route. One of you needs to have a careeer which would qualify for this so that might not be an option, especially if you are currently both students now.

Have you done the self-assessment on the CIC site?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sess/index.asp

Canada happily welcomes family applications, most on here are!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

Hey Emma,

Welcome to the message board, you will find lots of great advice here.

Canada does indeed welcome family applications. The other parts of this board are full of advice about good places to live. You should consider your interests, size of community you're looking for, and climate.

All of what you mentioned in your message would be dependant on which route you took to get to Canada. As delsol suggests, you should read through the CIC website and see which option might work best for you.

Assuming you'd be trying to make a skilled worker application, the principle applicant would require at least one year of skilled work experience. That is an absolute minimum requirement of an skilled worker application. The experience must be in an occupation which is in Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC). I haven't been through a family application, but I think I am correct in saying only the principle applicant must meet this requirement. You will need, at some point, to seek documents which prove and outline your relevant work experiences.

As for the police clearance certificates, I am no expert. Small things over 10 years ago may not be a problem, as you are considered rehabilitated. I have read on the board that getting the certificate is the only way to know what it might show. If the certificate shows some problems or unusual complexities, it might be worth seeking advice from a registered consultant. Andrew Miller is highly recommended by all on this messageboard.

Good luck!

Last edited by ojmurphy; Feb 15th 2008 at 7:50 am.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emmag26uk
*waves*

Hi everyone

Hi Emma and welcome to the site,

I can't give you advice as regards to the Police Checks etc - maybe try the search function on the site as I know that some people have discussed convictions and cautions.
As already mentioned, check out the cic website. Also if you haven't already then have a read of the Wiki section. A Beginner's Guide to Canadian Immigration is a good place to start and take it from there.

Best of luck to you,

Cheers.

Last edited by L'il Bear; Feb 15th 2008 at 8:12 am.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ojmurphy
Assuming you'd be trying to make a skilled worker application, the principle applicant would require at least one year of skilled work experience. That is an absolute minimum requirement of an skilled worker application. The experience must be in an occupation which is in Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC). I haven't been through a family application, but I think I am correct in saying it won't matter that your husband doesn't have the experience if you are the priciple applicant. You will probably need, at some point, to seek documents which prove and outline your relevant work experiences.
One thing it might be worth looking into if you are going to go down the skilled worker route as ojmurphy has said above is whether your amount of work experience is assessed when you apply or when your application gets to the head of the queue. I've no idea unfortunately but it might be worth checking out as skilled worker applications are currently taking around 5 years + to process (and that time is predicted to rise), which would mean you could have many more years of work experience to add to your applications if they allow you to add it in a few years time when your application is nearing the end of the process.

Best of luck and welcome.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
One thing it might be worth looking into if you are going to go down the skilled worker route as ojmurphy has said above is whether your amount of work experience is assessed when you apply or when your application gets to the head of the queue. I've no idea unfortunately but it might be worth checking out as skilled worker applications are currently taking around 5 years + to process (and that time is predicted to rise), which would mean you could have many more years of work experience to add to your applications if they allow you to add it in a few years time when your application is nearing the end of the process.

Best of luck and welcome.
I believe it is at the time the application is filed by the applicant. I could, of course, be wrong ;-)
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ojmurphy
I believe it is at the time the application is filed by the applicant. I could, of course, be wrong ;-)
Oh well, it was worth a try!!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oh well, it was worth a try!!
Yeah; it would be nice if it did work that way!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

yeah before Andrew kindly reminds us it does say you must meet requirements at time of application
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: Newbie with questions!

I doubt very much that the misdemeanours you speak of for yourself will appear on your police clearance checks. A lot of the older information was deleated when the national computer was populated. Not sure about your OH though only way to find out is to apply for the certificate it is a short form and only cost about £20. Cheap for peace of mind I believe.

As everybody is saying your work experience will be the stumbling block. As you seem to enjoy education and university life, what about studying in Canada on a student visa. I know you can work part time on these as well as study. I don’t know much about the mechanics of these but I am sure somebody on here will set you straight on whether you could qualify or not. It would give you chance to see if you like Canada. You will need to have some funds to live on initially but as you seem to be surviving in UK you must have some income.

Just a thought!

Winston