Wikiposts

Newbie - Psychiatric Nursing BC

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:32 am
Just Joined

NatashaMorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newbie - Psychiatric Nursing BC

Ok I'm new to this site so here goes...

Hi everyone

I'm a 23 year old mental health nursing student, UK national, I'm in my second year at uni and I'm married. My husband and I would love to move to Canada when I finish uni but this is has always been just a distant dream until recently!

When I qualify I will already have 4 years experience working as a mental health nursing assistant and have experience working with adults, older people and children. My course also requires me to gain exposure to adult nursing, learning disability and children's nursing which I will have been signed off on when I qualify.

My husband currently works as a residential support worker with a brain injury client but has a HND in Aeronautical Engineering from British Aerospace so wants to get back into this field but is struggling to do so in the UK at present.

We would love to move to British Columbia and I have been trying to research how to go about everything and visa's etc but it's all just so confusing! I feel like I just need to sit down with someone who can explain it all and write a simple list of what we need to do as I don't understand all the abbreviation and acronym's!

If someone could help that would be fantastic!!

Thanks so much everyone!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie - Psychiatric Nursing BC

Originally Posted by NatashaMorris
Ok I'm new to this site so here goes...

Hi everyone

I'm a 23 year old mental health nursing student, UK national, I'm in my second year at uni and I'm married. My husband and I would love to move to Canada when I finish uni but this is has always been just a distant dream until recently!

When I qualify I will already have 4 years experience working as a mental health nursing assistant and have experience working with adults, older people and children. My course also requires me to gain exposure to adult nursing, learning disability and children's nursing which I will have been signed off on when I qualify.

My husband currently works as a residential support worker with a brain injury client but has a HND in Aeronautical Engineering from British Aerospace so wants to get back into this field but is struggling to do so in the UK at present.

We would love to move to British Columbia and I have been trying to research how to go about everything and visa's etc but it's all just so confusing! I feel like I just need to sit down with someone who can explain it all and write a simple list of what we need to do as I don't understand all the abbreviation and acronym's!

If someone could help that would be fantastic!!

Thanks so much everyone!
Hello and welcome to BE!

It's unlikely that your qualifications in mental health will be automatically recognised in Canada, you will need to check: http://www.cachwr.bc.ca/Documents/14...chure_WEB.aspx

Your husband may qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker stream (FSW without a job offer) as '2146 Aerospace engineers' is on the list of eligible careers, provided he has experience.

For abbreviations used see here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations

For an overview of immigrating to Canada see here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

Sorry for the abrupt reply, in a bit of a rush!

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

BC does have a college of psychiatric nurses just do a google search for them
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Newbie - Psychiatric Nursing BC

Hi Natasha!
My husband is a psychiatric nurse in BC. He has to register with the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses College Of British Columbia (CRPNBC), website www.crpnbc.ca.
They may be able to give you some advice re getting your qualifications recognised and your eligibility to sit the exam. You can work before you sit the exam; you are on an interim permit until you do so. He was on his 3 months before he sat the exam. I think they do them several times a year at the offices in Burnaby.
Hope this helps start your quest!
Elaine
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Hi Natasha!
My husband is a psychiatric nurse in BC. He has to register with the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses College Of British Columbia (CRPNBC), website www.crpnbc.ca.
They may be able to give you some advice re getting your qualifications recognised and your eligibility to sit the exam. You can work before you sit the exam; you are on an interim permit until you do so. He was on his 3 months before he sat the exam. I think they do them several times a year at the offices in Burnaby.
Hope this helps start your quest!
Elaine

Thanks, you gave a better response than I did - thank you for sharing the info!