Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for advice on NS immigration

Newbie looking for advice on NS immigration

Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:18 am
Just Joined

mandytalk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie looking for advice on NS immigration

Hi everyone, Husband and I have finally decided to take the plunge and move further afield and we have set our hearts on NS. Looking at the various options available to us it seems that we are down to two really viable ones:

1. NS PNP - downside is needing a job first, and after speaking to many companies there regarding his work that doesn't seem likely, however, most companies would employ him immediately when he has a work permit.

2. Skilled worker - his job is on the list (0631) and there are a good few jobs available out there, so this option seems to be the most logical one.

However, we are concerned about time - we are living in Beirut at the moment and tensions here are rising and locally people feel that it is going to get a lot worse. I've been looking into the times on the CIC website and it does look as if option 2 would take around 12-18 months to process so am a bit unsure about what to do. Would it be worth us starting the process for SW whilst still searching for jobs - then if by a miracle one did come up would we be able to switch to the PNP then (as it is supposed to be a quicker route??)?

After reading the information here and on other websites my brain is racing trying to process all the information and figure out which are our best options.

Any advice would be greatly received.

(Just to add - on the points we get 70 something without pre-arranged employment which is why both options are open to us)

Mandy
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie looking for advice on NS immigration

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by mandytalk
1. NS PNP - downside is needing a job first, and after speaking to many companies there regarding his work that doesn't seem likely, however, most companies would employ him immediately when he has a work permit.
There are other streams available under the NS PNP that don't require a job offer, so I'd suggest you have another look and explore them all, particularly the Community Identified Stream.

2. Skilled worker - his job is on the list (0631) and there are a good few jobs available out there, so this option seems to be the most logical one.
Last time I checked, 0631 was rapidly approaching its quota, so if you do want to apply as FSW, you'll need to get a move on. By the time you've gathered paperwork and got your IELTS result, it'll be cutting it fine, so don't delay if that's the route you are interested in. Plus of course, when the list is revised in June, there's no guarantee that 0631 will still be on it.

Would it be worth us starting the process for SW whilst still searching for jobs - then if by a miracle one did come up would we be able to switch to the PNP then (as it is supposed to be a quicker route??)?
Are you sure the PNP is a quicker route? It's usually about the same, and if you've got to factor in time to find a job offer first from an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/wait/hassle of hiring you, then that'll add a considerable amount of time on to the whole process - we have people on the forum who have been looking for a job for a year or two without success.

If I were you, I'd apply for FSW asap, and if you need to leave Beirut in the interim (are you UKC's, could you go back there for a year or so whilst your PR is processed if necessary), then maybe do that.

By the time you've found a job, probably not a lot of point switching to PNP either - you'd be better off just going over on a Temp Work Permit until you get PR via FSW if that's the route you've already applied under.

HTH, good luck.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

mandytalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

There are other streams available under the NS PNP that don't require a job offer, so I'd suggest you have another look and explore them all, particularly the Community Identified Stream.

Last time I checked, 0631 was rapidly approaching its quota, so if you do want to apply as FSW, you'll need to get a move on. By the time you've gathered paperwork and got your IELTS result, it'll be cutting it fine, so don't delay if that's the route you are interested in. Plus of course, when the list is revised in June, there's no guarantee that 0631 will still be on it.

Are you sure the PNP is a quicker route? It's usually about the same, and if you've got to factor in time to find a job offer first from an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/wait/hassle of hiring you, then that'll add a considerable amount of time on to the whole process - we have people on the forum who have been looking for a job for a year or two without success.

If I were you, I'd apply for FSW asap, and if you need to leave Beirut in the interim (are you UKC's, could you go back there for a year or so whilst your PR is processed if necessary), then maybe do that.

By the time you've found a job, probably not a lot of point switching to PNP either - you'd be better off just going over on a Temp Work Permit until you get PR via FSW if that's the route you've already applied under.

HTH, good luck.
Thank you for your advice, I hadn't realised that 0631 was approaching its limit, definately will start to gather the paperwork together (most is ready anyway) during the next week.

Going back to the UK is out for us at the moment due to my husband's nationality and the paperwork, expense required etc - if we went there, then we wouldn't be able to afford to emigrate for a long time after that unfortunately.

It was actually the office of immigration that told me the PNP route would be quicker as once the nomination part of the application was done and the rest of the paperwork would go in then they would be able to issue a TWP within a month of so (that is the current processing time here in Beirut). I think the problem is that there is so much conflicting advice from these offices depending on who you speak to.

Off to download application forms now!

Thanks again for your reply.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advice, I hadn't realised that 0631 was approaching its limit, definately will start to gather the paperwork together (most is ready anyway) during the next week.
First thing to do is get your husband's IELTS exam booked - don't know what it's like in Beirut, but in the UK there is usually a wait of a few weeks for a test slot, and then a 2 week wait for results, so that's the bit that takes the most time. Plus you'll need to get police checks from each country you've lived in for 6 months or more, so presumably will need a UK one? So that's another thing to get started on quickly as it may take a while to get from the UK due to the postal system. You can gather the rest of the paperwork whilst waiting for the IELTS result etc.

Going back to the UK is out for us at the moment due to my husband's nationality and the paperwork, expense required etc - if we went there, then we wouldn't be able to afford to emigrate for a long time after that unfortunately.
Ah, I see. Any route to PR without a job offer is going to take around a year or more, so if you do need to be there quicker I think your only option is for one of you to try and get a job offer approved by HRSDC. Or go on another visa i.e. visitor visa or study permit, whilst you await PR? Although obviously not being able to work much (or at all if on a visitor visa) may be an issue.

It was actually the office of immigration that told me the PNP route would be quicker as once the nomination part of the application was done and the rest of the paperwork would go in then they would be able to issue a TWP within a month of so (that is the current processing time here in Beirut). I think the problem is that there is so much conflicting advice from these offices depending on who you speak to.
Don't ever rely on advice from the CIC 'misinformation' line! Remember that the staff are not trained in immigration, they are just reading off a script and more often than not seem to just guess at the answers, often incorrectly. Having said that, they are correct that you would get a work permit via PNP much quicker than waiting for PR via FSW, but the total processing time to PR won't be any different really.

Good luck with it, fingers crossed you manage to get it in before the quota fills - I've just checked by the way and it's currently at 744, that was four days ago. So hopefully you'll manage it if you are quick.

Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've just checked by the way and it's currently at 744, that was four days ago.
Just to add to this, they've updated it this morning - it's now at 775 applications. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp