Newbie here and on the move

Old Dec 4th 2016, 10:05 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: N Ireland to Cape Breton Island
Posts: 116
AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newbie here and on the move

HI folks,

Am just new here as I found this site when looking info for moving to Canada. I will give a quick snapshot of where we are and then my questions:

1. UK Citizen married to Canadian for 13.5yrs. 2 kids which are dual UK/Canadian. They have passports for both.
2. We currently live in UK and have property in Canada
3. Planning on moving there at end of school term in June
4. My plan is to be self employed

Having considered various options incl entrepeneur and express entry, it seems like the quickest, and dare I say simplest option will be for my wife to sponsor me, however I am looking tips as to our best approach on getting there

1. I was going to have us all travel together, but them on one way tickets, possibly me on a return in case paperwork doesn't come back
2. On arrival, have the paperwork all completed and lodge the spouse sponsorship paperwork and work permit immediately.
3. Will there be any queries raised as to this at the airport and should we say what our intentions are?

or should we all go out on return tickets and not use the return leg?

I don't want to screw things up and we don't want to wait for things to be processed outside the country due to schools for the kids etc

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

A
AshMyl is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2016, 10:33 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,485
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by AshMyl
HI folks,

Am just new here as I found this site when looking info for moving to Canada. I will give a quick snapshot of where we are and then my questions:

1. UK Citizen married to Canadian for 13.5yrs. 2 kids which are dual UK/Canadian. They have passports for both.
2. We currently live in UK and have property in Canada
3. Planning on moving there at end of school term in June
4. My plan is to be self employed

Having considered various options incl entrepeneur and express entry, it seems like the quickest, and dare I say simplest option will be for my wife to sponsor me, however I am looking tips as to our best approach on getting there

1. I was going to have us all travel together, but them on one way tickets, possibly me on a return in case paperwork doesn't come back
2. On arrival, have the paperwork all completed and lodge the spouse sponsorship paperwork and work permit immediately.
3. Will there be any queries raised as to this at the airport and should we say what our intentions are?

or should we all go out on return tickets and not use the return leg?

I don't want to screw things up and we don't want to wait for things to be processed outside the country due to schools for the kids etc

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

A
I will leave it for others to answer about Inland spousal sponsorship and work permits as not my area of knowledge - other than to say you seem to able to get work permit quicker, but PR approval takes considerably longer.

You COULD apply for outland spousal sponsorship instead. If you got your skates on, you could sort the paperwork and submit it in 3-4 weeks. See the processing timelines of other on the spreadsheet in my signature line. If it went to Ottawa, you would likely get PR by June, but if it went to London, June would be unlikely (but Aug / Sept possible) - you have no choice over where it goes and until you get PR, you would not be able to work, although you COULD wait in Canada under 'dual intent' from say June onwards while your PR came through.

As regards return flight, why not just try some airline sites for quotes for one way then return flights - you will find out very quickly that one way flights are more expensive than return flight, so whatever you intentions, cheaper to book return flight whether you use the return ticket or not.

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Dec 4th 2016 at 10:58 am.
Hurlabrick is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2016, 7:04 pm
  #3  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,160
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by AshMyl
2. On arrival, have the paperwork all completed and lodge the spouse sponsorship paperwork and work permit immediately.
3. Will there be any queries raised as to this at the airport and should we say what our intentions are?
If you do it that way, you'll are risking being refused entry and put on the next plane back. Dual intent only applies when you already have an application underway, so you can't wait until you get there. See the FAQ for more info on dual intent (http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...d:_Dual_Intent). Inland is really for those already in Canada on other statuses that don't need to try and enter, if you do try without any visa application then an immi officer is going to suspect (rightly!) that you don't intent to just visit.

As said above, if I were you, I'd just do an outland application now, then even in the worst case scenario you'd only have to wait a month or two after arriving to get PR (and should have it before, possibly even by spring), which would mean you could work quicker than if you did an outland app and got the work permit 5 months after arriving.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:32 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: N Ireland to Cape Breton Island
Posts: 116
AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

HI, thanks for your help/advice. If I gather right from what you say, if I did an application from here, then we could still go to Canada before the results came back?

My fear was that if we made an application from the UK, then we couldnt move to Canada before the process was completed here. The Sponsor Approval mentioned in the Dual Intent link, is this what takes a long time and is either Ottawa or London?

I do not need a work permit in a hurry, so I can wait a few months, but I would like to be there next summer with a view to getting prepared for the winter to get wood/food grown/stored in etc and sort out the house. I have plenty to do for myself without looking to work for others.

Sorry to sound so dumb, but the terminology is all new and when I spoke to a company who 'specialise' in immigration to Canada their approach was 'go on a holiday, but apply when there'. I don't want to do that if it risks the longer term prospects and what to say when entering the country.

And another thing has spring to mind, what is medical cover in this situation? Should we look for insurance for us all as a fmaily for 12months? or just me?

A
AshMyl is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:24 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,485
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by AshMyl
HI, thanks for your help/advice. If I gather right from what you say, if I did an application from here, then we could still go to Canada before the results came back?

My fear was that if we made an application from the UK, then we couldnt move to Canada before the process was completed here. The Sponsor Approval mentioned in the Dual Intent link, is this what takes a long time and is either Ottawa or London?

I do not need a work permit in a hurry, so I can wait a few months, but I would like to be there next summer with a view to getting prepared for the winter to get wood/food grown/stored in etc and sort out the house. I have plenty to do for myself without looking to work for others.

Sorry to sound so dumb, but the terminology is all new and when I spoke to a company who 'specialise' in immigration to Canada their approach was 'go on a holiday, but apply when there'. I don't want to do that if it risks the longer term prospects and what to say when entering the country.

And another thing has spring to mind, what is medical cover in this situation? Should we look for insurance for us all as a fmaily for 12months? or just me?

A
Check out the spreadsheet link in my signature line. This shows timelines for outland spousal sponsorship applicants.

PR approval is a two stage process, first is Sponsor Approval, which is assessed in Mississauga and takes anywhere between 15 and 75 days, with an average of about 45 days.

They then send the pack on to either London or Ottawa for Principal Applicant approval. If it is London, for a clean application with no queries, it currently seems to take a further 200 days. If Ottawa and clean, maybe a further 80 days or so.

You can move to Canada under 'dual intent' following Sponsor Approval, although you would not be able to work until PA Approval.

Medical insurance depends on which province you move to. Some allow immediate start on the provincial medical scheme, others have a wait period. For example, Ontario has a 3 month wait, so you need medical insurance to cover the gap. If there is such a gap, then ALL of your family would need cover (not just you).

Have a read of the Wiki articles, also in my signature line. You will find links to dual intent, medical insurance and much more - this is an invaluable resource.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Dec 5th 2016 at 7:09 pm.
Hurlabrick is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:02 am
  #6  
Concierge
 
SchnookoLoly's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Posts: 8,320
SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move



First, thanks for starting with a detailed and direct post!

Just chiming in to the advice you have so far to say I agree that you should apply now, and you'll have your PR through at some point next year. You'll probably have a few months of waiting as a visitor if your app goes to London instead of Ottawa (and no you can't request Ottawa, lol)... but it's completely fine for you to come over as a visitor, the wiki articles linked on Dual Intent explains all that clearly.

SchnookoLoly is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:39 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: N Ireland to Cape Breton Island
Posts: 116
AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Check out the spreadsheet link in my signature line. This shows timelines for outland spousal sponsorship applicants.

PR approval is a two stage process, first is Sponsor Approval, which is assessed in Mississauga and takes anywhere between 15 and 75 days, with an average of about 45 days.

They then send the pack on to either London or Ottawa for Principal Applicant approval. If it is London, for a clean application with no queries, it currently seems to take a further 200 days. If Ottawa and clean, maybe a further 80 days or so.

You can move to Canada under 'dual intent' following Sponsor Approval, although you would not be able to work until PA Approval.

Medical insurance depends on which province you move to. Some allow immediate start on the provincial medical scheme, others have a wait period. For example, Ontario has a 3 month wait, so you need medical insurance to cover the gap. If there is such a gap, then ALL of your family would need cover (not just you).

Have a read of the Wiki articles, also in my signature line. You will find links to dual intent, medical insurance and much more - this is an invaluable resource.

Hope this helps.
Very many thanks for your help and advice here. I wasn't 'comfortable' with the approach offered by the 'experts' in rocking up and then applying/staying. The Dual Intent is definately a suitable way and a possible way as I don't need to work immediately after arriving in Canada, like I said before. It also is a clear and transparent way to enter the country.

We are planning on Nova Scotia as our home, so it will be that Health Area we will be under. Not sure if there is the 3mths waiting or not. Would Canadian Citizens be made to wait the period as well (i.e. wife and 2 kids)?

Thanks again and I will read through the wiki articles

A
AshMyl is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:41 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: N Ireland to Cape Breton Island
Posts: 116
AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly


First, thanks for starting with a detailed and direct post!

Just chiming in to the advice you have so far to say I agree that you should apply now, and you'll have your PR through at some point next year. You'll probably have a few months of waiting as a visitor if your app goes to London instead of Ottawa (and no you can't request Ottawa, lol)... but it's completely fine for you to come over as a visitor, the wiki articles linked on Dual Intent explains all that clearly.

Thanks for the welcome. I stumbled across the site and I sure appreciate the information offered so far.

Hopefully in a few months the move will be on!

A
AshMyl is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:41 am
  #9  
Concierge
 
SchnookoLoly's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Posts: 8,320
SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by AshMyl
Would Canadian Citizens be made to wait the period as well (i.e. wife and 2 kids)?
A
It depends on the province and their different rules on this. In Ontario, the answer is yes - 3 month wait period for anyone establishing residency in the province, citizen or not.
SchnookoLoly is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:53 am
  #10  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by AshMyl
Very many thanks for your help and advice here. I wasn't 'comfortable' with the approach offered by the 'experts' in rocking up and then applying/staying. The Dual Intent is definately a suitable way and a possible way as I don't need to work immediately after arriving in Canada, like I said before. It also is a clear and transparent way to enter the country.

We are planning on Nova Scotia as our home, so it will be that Health Area we will be under. Not sure if there is the 3mths waiting or not. Would Canadian Citizens be made to wait the period as well (i.e. wife and 2 kids)?

Thanks again and I will read through the wiki articles

A
Returning Citizens appear to have coverage from Day 1 for Nova Scotia.

MSI Moving and Travel | novascotia.ca

For yourself, once you become a PR you will qualify from the first day; in the interim, you may want to take out some sort of insurance if you haven't received PR when you arrive. Something like this might be of use: Emigration Travel Insurance | Emigration Policy - DUInsure



Siouxie is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:52 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: N Ireland to Cape Breton Island
Posts: 116
AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

So, we have waited for new forms and have them mostly filled out. Just to get the photocopies and photos taken now.

A question comes up about the Sponsor (i.e. my wife) in relation to her employment etc. As she has been a homemaker with 2 kids and only works part time, her income is not high. For the Employment/Source of Support section, it asks for a letter from her current employer, also recent tax returns. As we are in UK, what relevance is the tax return here in this and will they wish to see a copy of it? Also, if we are moving from UK to Canada, the employment here finishes when we move, so is it relevant?

P.S. This is gettting exciting!
AshMyl is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:57 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,874
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by AshMyl
So, we have waited for new forms and have them mostly filled out. Just to get the photocopies and photos taken now.

A question comes up about the Sponsor (i.e. my wife) in relation to her employment etc. As she has been a homemaker with 2 kids and only works part time, her income is not high. For the Employment/Source of Support section, it asks for a letter from her current employer, also recent tax returns. As we are in UK, what relevance is the tax return here in this and will they wish to see a copy of it? Also, if we are moving from UK to Canada, the employment here finishes when we move, so is it relevant?

P.S. This is gettting exciting!
If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.

Read this link for other info
Guide 5289 - Sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:05 am
  #13  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by AshMyl
Very many thanks for your help and advice here. I wasn't 'comfortable' with the approach offered by the 'experts' in rocking up and then applying/staying.

A
"Experts" are a bit unreliable (especially if their name begins with a B). There are experts on here, as you see, who offer accurate and free advice.

You'll be fine if you rely on this site.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2016, 11:53 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: N Ireland to Cape Breton Island
Posts: 116
AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Well folks, Out with the Old, and in with the New!!

Just completed all the docs, paid the relevant fees and got all documentation ready to pop in the post.. Now the waiting begins... and then to see our names appear on the spreadsheet...
AshMyl is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2016, 11:07 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,485
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here and on the move

Originally Posted by AshMyl
Well folks, Out with the Old, and in with the New!!

Just completed all the docs, paid the relevant fees and got all documentation ready to pop in the post.. Now the waiting begins... and then to see our names appear on the spreadsheet...
Very happy to add your details to the spreadsheet, but you need to let us have some details so we can do this. Please look at the spreadsheet link in my signature line for an idea of the information we are after. At this stage it would be:

- Roughly where you live (e.g. London, UK)
- Date your application is received at CIC Mississauga

Then please keep us updated on progress by posting on this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12139649
Hurlabrick is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.