Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Newbie and CONFUSED! Need some help

Newbie and CONFUSED! Need some help

Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Wallabee32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie and CONFUSED! Need some help

Hello everyone!

I'm in the beginning stages of applying for a TWP fro Canada and originally reading through the CIC website, the process looked pretty simple and fast. However, reading through all these posted and threads, my head is seriously turning! Currently i have WAY more questions than I have answers so excuse me if this thread is so newbie but im in dyer need of a nice push in the right direction.

Here is what Im trying to accomplish:

Gain a TWP first, start working and look at PR.

Here are my qualification:

Education: BA in Sociology 2005
Employment: Real Estate and financial experience in Sales over two tears (I believe this falls under SW B
I have a significant other (not married or engaged) who lives in Vancouver.
I have no criminal records and in perfect health.
Dont speak French but speak Spanish (hispanic)

For those of you who have TONS of experience with the process and possible humps, please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

am I a good candidate? I don't wanna go through a representative.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:38 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie and CONFUSED! Need some help

Although you need an offer of employment in order to get a temporary work permit, a job offer is insufficient in and of itself. The prospective employer first has to apply to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). The LMO will be forthcoming only if HRSDC is satisfied that the prospective employer has recruited across Canada and has been unsuccessful in attracting a qualified Canadian resident to the position.

I'm not an immigration expert, but I don't think a prospective employer is likely to get an LMO for a position that you could fill.

If you're a British citizen (or an Aussie or a Kiwi or some such), you could come to Canada for 12 months on a working holiday visa (WHV). The information on WHVs on this forum is geared towards British citizens. If you are not British, I don't know how you go about getting a WHV. However, there are umpteen ski lift operators in Canada from the UK, Oz, NZ, etc., who are living proof that it can be done.

If you have lived with your significant other in a conjugal relationship for a year, he/she can sponsor you as a common-law partner. There are quite a few hoops you need to jump through to demonstrate that you are in a committed relationship. If you get married, it's a bit easier to prove, but even then Citizenship and Immigration Canada will want to satisfy themselves that it's not a marriage of convenience.

See Andrew Miller's responses in these previous threads:

Also read the BE Wiki article entitled Getting into Canada quickly. Unfortunately I don't think it would be very feasible for you to get in by any of the methods mentioned in that article (temporary work permit, permanent residence application backed up by Arranged Employment Opinion, or Provincial Nominee Program).

There are a few members of this forum who have come to Canada on a working holiday visa through BUNAC and who then have obtained permanent residence through British Columbia's Provincial Nominee Program. But they had specific skill sets, such as IT and engineering.

I have participated in this forum since early 2005, and I have no idea what SW B means. I assume SW is skilled worker. Perhaps B refers to Skill Level B on the National Occupational Classification.

With your age, degree, and fluency in one of Canada's official languages, I think you have a good chance of getting enough points to apply for permanent residence via the skilled worker route. You can use Citizenship and Immigration Canada's self-assessment tool to figure that out. Unfortunately that application process is taking 5+ years these days.

Being classified as Skill Level B is rather immaterial to your application, as far as I know. From what I've seen on this forum, that ranking is used to determine secondary factors, e.g., to determine if your spouse or common-law partner is eligible for a spousal open work permit (which does not require an LMO) if you yourself are getting into Canada on a work permit.

I'm not an immigration expert, and I have no personal experience of the work permit process or the Provincial Nominee Programs. My husband and I immigrated to Canada nearly thirty one years ago via the permanent residence - skilled worker route, with my engineer husband being the primary applicant.

Still, I think I've laid out for you what the theoretical options are and what the practical limitations are. I hope that has helped.

You might consider asking Andrew Miller for a free, no-obligation, preliminary assessment. Whereas I am not an immigration expert, he is.