Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Newbie clarification of how to get to Canada!!

Newbie clarification of how to get to Canada!!

Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:09 am
Just Joined

bristolmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie clarification of how to get to Canada!!

Hi,

I've only just found this site and so apologise way in advance if what i'm asking is blatantly obvious or has been asked before. Basically, my partner and I have definately decided to try and move to Canada (if they want us) and as far as I understand it, the process goes something like:

1) Check THE LIST - if your occupation is on it and you have enough funds then you can apply under the skilled worker thingy

2) If your occupation is not on the list, then you need a job offer...

My query is, do all job offers then have to go through the provinces provincial nominee programme, or can you apply for PR once you have been offered a job??

We've planned for roughly 3-4 years before we make the move and at the moment we both pass the points system so all is well on that front.

Just an aside, can anybody shed some light on job prospects in Canada?

My partner is a hairdresser with 20+ years experience, an apprenticeship from Vidal Sassoon, some years spent teaching at a local college and also educating various salons on colour application and cutting, and the remainder running franchisees and his own salons.

I've got a BA (Hons), MSc, over a year working in forensics for the police and just over a year working as a crime analyst for the police.

Does anyne know about any of these sort of job markets??

thanks a bundle
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie clarification of how to get to Canada!!

Originally Posted by bristolmuppet
Hi,

I've only just found this site and so apologise way in advance if what i'm asking is blatantly obvious or has been asked before. Basically, my partner and I have definately decided to try and move to Canada (if they want us) and as far as I understand it, the process goes something like:

1) Check THE LIST - if your occupation is on it and you have enough funds then you can apply under the skilled worker thingy

2) If your occupation is not on the list, then you need a job offer...

My query is, do all job offers then have to go through the provinces provincial nominee programme, or can you apply for PR once you have been offered a job??

We've planned for roughly 3-4 years before we make the move and at the moment we both pass the points system so all is well on that front.

Just an aside, can anybody shed some light on job prospects in Canada?

My partner is a hairdresser with 20+ years experience, an apprenticeship from Vidal Sassoon, some years spent teaching at a local college and also educating various salons on colour application and cutting, and the remainder running franchisees and his own salons.

I've got a BA (Hons), MSc, over a year working in forensics for the police and just over a year working as a crime analyst for the police.

Does anyne know about any of these sort of job markets??

thanks a bundle

Hi and welcome to the forum.

No idea about your job prospects I'm afraid, but I can try and explain the process to you.

You've got no's 1 and 2 above correct, and then there are basically three routes to PR once you've got a job offer.

Firstly, you go via a Temporary Work Permit (is usually granted for 1-3 years), which you can then upgrade to PR via Skilled Worker with job offer if you have enough points and are eligible (quickest way to get into Canada but also not secure as there's no guarantee of PR) OR

you can apply via Skilled Worker with a job offer if your employer is prepared to wait that long for you (approx 6-12 months) OR

you can apply via PNP programme (again, if employer is prepared to wait longer for you and if PNP programme allows, some you have to have been there working on a TWP for a certain length of time before you can apply).

There are more complications to each route but I have just outlined them above for ease, for more info read the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will explain them in more detail.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:35 am
Just Joined

bristolmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi and welcome to the forum.

No idea about your job prospects I'm afraid, but I can try and explain the process to you.

You've got no's 1 and 2 above correct, and then there are basically three routes to PR once you've got a job offer.

Firstly, you go via a Temporary Work Permit (is usually granted for 1-3 years), which you can then upgrade to PR via Skilled Worker with job offer if you have enough points and are eligible (quickest way to get into Canada but also not secure as there's no guarantee of PR) OR

you can apply via Skilled Worker with a job offer if your employer is prepared to wait that long for you (approx 6-12 months) OR

you can apply via PNP programme (again, if employer is prepared to wait longer for you and if PNP programme allows, some you have to have been there working on a TWP for a certain length of time before you can apply).

There are more complications to each route but I have just outlined them above for ease, for more info read the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will explain them in more detail.

Good luck.
Thats fab - thanks!

So its either

1) get job offer, temporary work visa, move and then hope that you're eligible
2) get job offer, apply through skilled worker and hope employer waits
3) get job offer, apply via PNP and hope employer waits!

Just a further quickie - if I get offered a job and it is eligible for PNP, can I come over to Canada on a temporary work visa and start work while my skilled worker application is going through?

ta
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:01 am
Just Joined

puma2jep is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bristolmuppet
Thats fab - thanks!

So its either

1) get job offer, temporary work visa, move and then hope that you're eligible
2) get job offer, apply through skilled worker and hope employer waits
3) get job offer, apply via PNP and hope employer waits!

Just a further quickie - if I get offered a job and it is eligible for PNP, can I come over to Canada on a temporary work visa and start work while my skilled worker application is going through?

ta
If you apply under PNP route then after you get the nomination certificate (1 to 4 months depending on the province you apply) then you can apply for a Temporary Work Permit which you can get at the Port of Entry with a support letter from your PNP Case Officer, the once in Canada you can apply for Permanet Residency which you can normally get before 9 months after you apply