Wikiposts

Newbie :)

Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

njj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nice
Default Newbie :)

Hi there, I had your information from netmums.

My husband and myself and little ones are looking to move to Canada.

My husband has applied for a job and has been told that he has it on a trial basis as and when we can get out to Canada. We have looked into Visas and have been advised that it is likely that we can get one. Just a question and some advise please. How long does the whole process take, I realise that it cant happen overnight, and just wondering what the best route is to take.

Thankyou for you assistance in advance

Nic
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie :)

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Exactly what visa have you looked in to? I'd assume a Temp Work Permit, but from what you've said, it also sounds like the company is expecting you to sort all of the visa side of things out and that's not the way it works - to get a Temp Work Permit, you'd need the employer to apply for a Labour Market Opinion. It also wouldn't be possible to get a TWP for a 'trial' position.

Is is a TWP you'll be going for, or some other kind of visa? And what's the job? If you can be a bit more specific then hopefully we can help and tell you how long it'll take etc.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

njj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nicenjj74 is just really nice

Hi there,

Thankyou for responding so quickly, Im not sure to be honest what kind of visa we are hoping to go out there on, my husband was looking into that, just hoping that somebody would have a bit of advice and advise what kind of visa would be best for us

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

sorry the job is for a maintenance mechanical engineer
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd assume it would be a Temp Work Permit then? That's the usual work based visa, unless by any chance your husband is aged 30 and under? If so, the Working Holiday Visa would be another option.

But assuming it's a TWP, you first need the employer to apply for the Labour Market Opinion. For this they have to submit the forms and proof to show that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job.

Once they've got the LMO back (takes approx 12-16 weeks), you then apply for the TWP.

If your husband is a UK citizen then he can just turn up and apply for the TWP at the airport in Canada, alternatively if he's from a country that needs a visa to enter Canada then he'll have to do it via a visa office (another 8-10 weeks or so).

Does that help? Do also note that a LMO won't be granted for a 'trial' position, so that needs to be something the employer adjusts.

Good luck.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for that, is there any other visa that we can go out there on rather than a temporary working visa

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by njj74
Thank you for that, is there any other visa that we can go out there on rather than a temporary working visa

Thanks
Yes if he's aged 30 or under, then he could go on a Working Holiday Visa as mentioned above - that's a year's open work permit.

There are lots of other options too, such as the Provincial Nominee Programs or directly to Permanent Residency, but they will all involve the employer doing much more paperwork and also take much longer.

The TWP would be your quickest and easiest route unless hubby is 30 or younger.

Have a look at the Wiki for info on all the various visas as well.

Good luck.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

My husband is 37 so we dont qualify for the working holiday visa unfortunately. It looks like its a long long process but its something that we definately want to do so we best get cracking

Thanks for the tips.

Nic
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

hiya all, this time its Nic`s 37 year old husband, Ian, talking. How is everyone doing?
Right then, I`ve just looked at this years list of uncapped ( no limit on numbers of applicants allowed) occupations, I think it was the Federal Workers Program.
Does the fact that there is no limit on the number of applicants allowed to immigrate mean that there is a big shortage in these occupations / trades? Does this in itself mean that finding a job and therefore a written offer of employment will be easier?

Time and space permitting, could some nice people explain the Provincial Nomination process? what i want to know is everything about it, all info greatly appreciated. Anyone had any success going down this road? Would anyone recommend this?

I could qualify under the uncapped occupations under several categories ( Machinist, what i assume is a fitter which is labelled a millwright, Oil and gas industry, and a few more).

Would this help my case in visa application?

.I have read about Red Seal certification, could anyone out there shed a little light on this process, and what manner of testing is required, ie is it written, practical, etc.? How much credence would a Canadian employer place in a UK apprenticeship and technical trade education? Would anyone recommend this?

Finally ( I know this a lot of long arse questions) , we have an 18 year old daughter who is not in full time education, as well as the little ones. Would she be classed as a dependant child , or could she possibly be denied entry without a written job offer?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, any info someone out there could supply would be really really appreciated.
Ian.

Last edited by njj74; Jan 16th 2013 at 10:33 am. Reason: missed a bit out.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:35 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the Wiki, it covers a lot of what you're asking

http://http://britishexpats.com/wiki...an_Immigration
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

well well that was a quick reply. thanks Tigger, I`ll check it out now.