Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

stevie_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie

Hello there everybody,

My wife and I decided a year ago that we were going to start to look into moving to Canada. Now that a year has passed we have now seen this wasn't just a spurr of the moment decision and need to move to give our children (currently 2 boys and baby on the way) a better life. We have also decided that Prince Edward Island would suit us best as my wife has family there.

I'm a Pipefitter/Welder and I know that my occupation is on the skilled worker shortage list.

I'm in the process of finishing our application forms, so I know I have a bit of a wait before we find out if Canada wants us.

Looking to find out as much information as possible such as costs, and if I would be better off going to Paul Wildy Immigration for as much help as possible.

I really do need as much help as possible thanks in advance.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newbie

Welcome to BE

You should be able to self serve your own immigration if your circumstances are straight forward as there is enough info on here to get you through the ordeal

I've used Paul a couple of times as my circumstances are somewhat complex, and can recommend his services.

Good luck
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevie_m
Hello there everybody,

My wife and I decided a year ago that we were going to start to look into moving to Canada. Now that a year has passed we have now seen this wasn't just a spurr of the moment decision and need to move to give our children (currently 2 boys and baby on the way) a better life. We have also decided that Prince Edward Island would suit us best as my wife has family there.

I'm a Pipefitter/Welder and I know that my occupation is on the skilled worker shortage list.

I'm in the process of finishing our application forms, so I know I have a bit of a wait before we find out if Canada wants us.

Looking to find out as much information as possible such as costs, and if I would be better off going to Paul Wildy Immigration for as much help as possible.

I really do need as much help as possible thanks in advance.
Welcome to BE. A good place to start is by going through the Wiki on the blue bar, top of this page. Lots of info there. Lots of people on here that are more than willing to answer questions that you cannot find in the Wiki.
Enjoy your time on BE
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Is the Police Cert the same as disclosure form that teachers and people who are working with either children or eldery ? Only asking as my wife is a nursery teacher and has one. Not to worried about the Police Cert as I have never been in trouble with the Law and know I have had Police checks to work certain places I have worked.

Medical Forms ... I havent had any problems with my health nor has my wife, one child had a problem with breaking down milk (but I don't see that as a reason to refuse entry)

Money I have money put away and have no debt what so ever ... one problem is that I don't own a house and won't have a windfall of cash from that.

Does anyone here live or work in Prince Edward ? As I would also like to know how the housing market is in the area aswell as the job market (would be nice to know a rough guide to the wage structure in my field ... Don't want to send an email to ask about how much they pay as I'm not that forward).

Just want to get as much information as possible, dont want to rely on my wifes cousin for every piece of information.

Thanks again
Stephen
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

If you're looking for an idea of house prices, it's going to depend where on the island you're looking and what kind of house/property you're looking for. The following link:

http://www.realtor.ca/index.aspx?cul=1

is all houses listed with real estate in Canada. You can zoom in on the map and find PEI and look at different areas. You can also narrow it down by number of bedrooms/bathrooms etc.

If your wife has family on the island, then I'm sure you're aware of the $40 fee you pay every time you leave the island by bridge or by ferry.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kynn
If you're looking for an idea of house prices, it's going to depend where on the island you're looking and what kind of house/property you're looking for. The following link:

http://www.realtor.ca/index.aspx?cul=1

is all houses listed with real estate in Canada. You can zoom in on the map and find PEI and look at different areas. You can also narrow it down by number of bedrooms/bathrooms etc.

If your wife has family on the island, then I'm sure you're aware of the $40 fee you pay every time you leave the island by bridge or by ferry.
See this is the stuff that they won't talk about ...

Small update aswell on the NOC ...

As I'm multiskilled I've noticed that I have a few NOC codes ... 7265 Welders and Related Machine Operators, 7252 Steamfitters, Pipefitters and Sprinkler System Installers, 7313 Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanics.

I'm not trying to show off here just find it strange that all of these "units" aren't combined.

Thanks everybody for your help

7265 Welders and Related Machine Operators
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

The police cert you need is specific for immigration purposes, you'll both need a fresh one
http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

Money:
Upfront you'll need whatever it costs to process the paperwork, probably $1550 ($550 + $550 + $150 +$150 + $150)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-how.asp#step3

Then medical costs for all of you

Then $490 for the final fee

Also, you'll need to have the following when you land
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/funds.asp

Last edited by spaceace; Aug 10th 2010 at 6:29 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
Then $490 for the final fee
Don't forget it will be $980, as there are 2 adults. Total fees should be $2380 for a family of four, plus as you say medical costs which will be around £1000 or so.

Originally Posted by spaceace
Also, you'll need to have the following when you land
And when they first apply - so will need to show a bank account with the figure for family of four (think it's $20599 off the top of my head?) when they send their application off.

OP - welcome to the forum and good luck with your plans.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

oh, you know I double checked the $490 fee and still got it wrong LOL

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...uides/EG75.asp
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:05 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Police Cert the same as disclosure form that teachers and people who are working with either children or eldery ? Only asking as my wife is a nursery teacher and has one. Not to worried about the Police Cert as I have never been in trouble with the Law and know I have had Police checks to work certain places I have worked.

Medical Forms ... I havent had any problems with my health nor has my wife, one child had a problem with breaking down milk (but I don't see that as a reason to refuse entry)

Money I have money put away and have no debt what so ever ... one problem is that I don't own a house and won't have a windfall of cash from that.

Does anyone here live or work in Prince Edward ? As I would also like to know how the housing market is in the area aswell as the job market (would be nice to know a rough guide to the wage structure in my field ... Don't want to send an email to ask about how much they pay as I'm not that forward).

Just want to get as much information as possible, dont want to rely on my wifes cousin for every piece of information.

Thanks again
Stephen
This is a good link for some general info re jobs, wages, skills, training requirements and prospects etc

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...65&province=11
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:51 am
Just Joined

I was under the impression that if I had a job to go to that I wouldn't need to have the 20k odd CAD in the bank account ?

Thank you for all the help people

Last edited by stevie_m; Aug 11th 2010 at 11:58 am.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well spotted

Although I don't recall this exception being stated in the actual application work instructions so I sent in a bank statement.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that if I had a job to go to that I wouldn't need to have the 20k odd CAD in the bank account ?

Thank you for all the help people
That's true, but you don't require a job offer as your job is on 'the list'.

If you do decide you want to try and get a job offer first so that the proof of funds requirement is waived, be prepared for a much tougher process. The job offer has to be approved by HRSDC to count, which means convincing an employer to firstly apply for the AEO for you, and then wait a year for you to start work (by the time you've got the AEO and waited for PR).

Only other way to do it is to get a job offer, convince employer to apply for LMO and then go on a Temp Work Permit (which you can then upgrade to PR), but a TWP isn't ideal for somebody with a family and you're tied to that one employer on it. So if you're made redundant before you get PR, you're potentially scuppered!

Also, do be aware that even with a job offer, we've seen people on this forum being asked for proof of funds, and that CIC still can refuse to give you a visa without it. The amount of money that CIC need to see is generally considered to be on the low side, and won't last long once in Canada, so even with a job offer I'd make sure you've got that.

Good luck.