Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New website Promotes Innovations in the Assessment and Recognition of International Q

New website Promotes Innovations in the Assessment and Recognition of International Q

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default New website Promotes Innovations in the Assessment and Recognition of International Q

Don't know if this has any relevance for anyone here, but I thought I would post the link to a CIC news release we posted recently, in the news section, in case anyone was interested in reading it.

New website Promotes Innovations in the Assessment and Recognition of International Qualifications
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New website Promotes Innovations in the Assessment and Recognition of Internation

Just CIC spending more taxpayers dollars
It might be useful to some but a pointless waste of money to others.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

marika g will become famous soon enoughmarika g will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: New website Promotes Innovations in the Assessment and Recognition of Internation

GOOD! I am having a terrible time of it at the moment trying to find a job as an Special needs educational assistant because I don't have a degree! No offence, but no degree is going to give someone the initiative, patience, intuition, and hands on experience that is really requied to do that kind of job!

I have come away from a Service Canada office today to basically be told that all my professional development or college certificates I did in the U.K previous to coming here don't mean diddly squat!

Apparantly the education system here (in Calgary anyway) is calling out for behavioural assistants etc but I can't seem to be able to get my foot in the door anywhere!

It's VERY frustrating! Especially to see job descriptions that were EXACTLY what I was doing back in the U.K (in most cases actually less than what I used to do) only to find that I need a degree to even be considered...or a 'Canadian' certificate.

I came here for a better life, especially for my son, but actually feel like I'm being treated as though I've come from a 3rd world country!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:05 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New website Promotes Innovations in the Assessment and Recognition of Internation

Originally Posted by marika g
GOOD! I am having a terrible time of it at the moment trying to find a job as an Special needs educational assistant because I don't have a degree! No offence, but no degree is going to give someone the initiative, patience, intuition, and hands on experience that is really requied to do that kind of job!

I have come away from a Service Canada office today to basically be told that all my professional development or college certificates I did in the U.K previous to coming here don't mean diddly squat!

Apparantly the education system here (in Calgary anyway) is calling out for behavioural assistants etc but I can't seem to be able to get my foot in the door anywhere!

It's VERY frustrating! Especially to see job descriptions that were EXACTLY what I was doing back in the U.K (in most cases actually less than what I used to do) only to find that I need a degree to even be considered...or a 'Canadian' certificate.

I came here for a better life, especially for my son, but actually feel like I'm being treated as though I've come from a 3rd world country!
If you came to Canada without researching what was required to continue in your profession here, then more the fool you. You are not being treated any differently than anyone else who needs certain qualifications to work at their profession in Canada.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Yeah...actually I came to Canada on an open work permit as we moved here because my partner received an offer of employment....we had 3 weeks notice as we ended up on the TWP route....it all happened very fast compared the way a lot of other people come to Canada so I guess more fool you for 'assuming'. As I am sure you are aware, not everyone's 'story' is the same and everybody has different circumstances!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marika g
Yeah...actually I came to Canada on an open work permit as we moved here because my partner received an offer of employment....we had 3 weeks notice as we ended up on the TWP route....it all happened very fast compared the way a lot of other people come to Canada so I guess more fool you for 'assuming'. As I am sure you are aware, not everyone's 'story' is the same and everybody has different circumstances!
I hope hes getting paid enough to compensate for your lack of options then...

Welcome to Canada eh...

There is no point railing against the system, it is what it is and its not going to change, so ultimately you probably have to get the qualifications reassesed, or take a conversion course Im afraid.

In the short term you might also have to consider some creative resume writing to put the emphasis on experience and responsibilities and rather gloss over the whole qualifications thing. That and work on the whole networking thing to get your name out there, often its a case of who you know too, to get your foot in the door, qualifications or not.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: New website Promotes Innovations in the Assessment and Recognition of Internation

Thank you for the non judgemental reply! I know...you are right! I have enrolled on a resume writing course... my whole purpose to go to the Service Canada office was to see if I could get some advice on training and education etc...unfortunately the 'advisor' was about as helpful as a chocolate fire guard and just basically told me (not quite in these words) that my resume was crap and my previous experience and qualifications were worth nothing! I'm just a bit cheesed off because I actually paid a Canadian to do my resume as I 'thought' that they understood the system a bit better so would be able to direct/help me with the whole resume thing. (Should've trusted my intincts on that one and saved my money!)

I have already looked into getting some Canadian education behind me etc and also have been networking...it's just a bit hard when living in a place that is based on oil and gas as those are the main training courses available and I don't feel particularly attracted to that field.

Lol! My fella's job doesn't pay badly but it's still not enough to really cover living in Calgary...I find it quite expensive here! Plus I've always been quite independent so I like to bring in a wage too!

Thanks for the advice!