New to this and very confused!

Old Sep 11th 2020, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this and very confused!

Originally Posted by alyttle1987
The reason we wouldn’t move south is because we don’t want to. We have always wanted to move away from here and Canada has always been top of the list! When we say opportunities for kids, I mean generally in Canada, not necessarily just Nova Scotia. When they have their education they can move wherever they choose within Canada. Everyone has there choices and this is one we have considered for years. It’s only now that we’ve decided to go through with it and look back and wish we had done it sooner!
Well sometimes it's not about what we want. You need to be realistic and if you don't meet the requirements what other options do you have? Apart from the huge cost to get over, that money could have offered your children better education closer to home. I would have liked a villa with direct beach access in Spain but couldn't afford it, so opted for something a bit further from beach. You might be lucky and Canada is waiting for exactly your skills. If not, no point feeling down and at the end of the day it's just another country with more bills and same problems. Your kids would be better off learning a 2nd language and can still always move later.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 11th 2020 at 8:32 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 8:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So the question is what, if anything, is your husband qualified to do in Canada? What does he have a license, certificate, or registration to do to support a visa application as a skilled worker?
None of that is required for a FSW app.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A gentle reminder to all, we try to keep the immi section of the forum to visa queries only. And yes, I know it was me that mentioned the location choice first, but I did suggest the main forum as the place to research that.

Ok so I took the test on behalf of my husband and our in that spouse (myself) would be going too along with our children. It said

Express Entry

You might be eligible for Express Entry, which includes the following federal economic immigration programs:
  • the Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • the Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • the Canadian Experience Class

It took me through to the next stage and provided a reference number. What would the next stage be after this?
That’s a good start.

Now you need to check that you score at least 67 on this test - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

That’s the first step and would get you in to the Express Entry ‘pool’ of applicants. But once in that pool, only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR, on a different scoring system. You can check your score for that here - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

You’ll need above approx 460-470 as a rough guide.

So check both of those tests above and let us know what you get, we can then help you work out the next step.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

alyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond reputealyttle1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A gentle reminder to all, we try to keep the immi section of the forum to visa queries only. And yes, I know it was me that mentioned the location choice first, but I did suggest the main forum as the place to research that.

That’s a good start.

Now you need to check that you score at least 67 on this test - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

That’s the first step and would get you in to the Express Entry ‘pool’ of applicants. But once in that pool, only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR, on a different scoring system. You can check your score for that here - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

You’ll need above approx 460-470 as a rough guide.

So check both of those tests above and let us know what you get, we can then help you work out the next step.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info!! I haven’t had time to do these yet but will get a chance this weekend. I also wanted to say, my husband has a HGV class 1 license and I read somewhere that truck drivers were in demand. We don’t know though if his license here would be valid in Nova Scotia. Do you have any ideas on this or if he would have to do a separate test out there?

Just looking at other options for us. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 21st 2020, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the info!! I haven’t had time to do these yet but will get a chance this weekend. I also wanted to say, my husband has a HGV class 1 license and I read somewhere that truck drivers were in demand. We don’t know though if his license here would be valid in Nova Scotia. Do you have any ideas on this or if he would have to do a separate test out there?

Just looking at other options for us. Thanks in advance!
It may be useful if you have no other options, but truckers aren't in demand as much as they used to be due to a rule change about the number of foreign drivers a company could hire. It would also depend on how recent his experience is, and do bear in mind it's not classed as a 'skilled' job so there's no way of applying for PR for it via a Federal route, so you'd need to make sure you could get PR via a PNP instead if you were relying on that occupation.

Here's our Wiki article on trucking for info - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada_

So check your scores first, as that would be a much easier route if it's open to you, and your job may well be more likely to lead to a sponsoring job offer if you do find you need that to get a visa.

HTH, good luck.