Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New User - Brit looking to up sticks!

New User - Brit looking to up sticks!

Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New User - Brit looking to up sticks!

Originally Posted by Maggie83
Thanks Sally! Il defo have a scoot through the wiki info and look at all my options, if any.

I should probably make clear I'm not a personal trainer that works in gyms or anything. I work clinically so with heart disease patients, type 2 diabetes etc etc. I think the term "nutritionist" varies between countries. I'm Clinical and Public Health, not sports/fitness.
Ah OK I wasn't sure about that. I don't think that would help you but I'm not sure. Obviously the health system is totally different in the US so not sure where you would fit in.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Maggie83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey! Lol!! Well...we can but try! Nothing ventured, nothing gained as my mother would say!! :-)
Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey! Lol!! Well...we can but try! Nothing ventured, nothing gained as my mother would say!! :-)
You could try posting in the US forums with your exact qualifications.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Yeah thanks il try that! I have a nice long break over Xmas so I can spend a bit of time doing some poking around and putting some feelers out!
Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:53 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The suggestion via Novo maybe your best way to a new life away from the UK
Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah thanks il try that! I have a nice long break over Xmas so I can spend a bit of time doing some poking around and putting some feelers out!
What attracts you to go to North America?

Originally Posted by magnumpi
The suggestion via Novo maybe your best way to a new life away from the UK
Well worth looking at.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 11:08 am
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Maggie!! It sounds like you've done some moving around already, so it makes sense that you want to venture West. There are different regulations here, and many people find their qualifications are not recognized, so you may have an uphill struggle! Good luck, tho.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 2:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Novocastrian, I'm not sure if its intentional but I'm finding your responses quite rude and abrasive. I'd prefer you not to comment again. I literally only joined a couple of hours ago.
There is a general "be nice to the newbies" ethic on here and I apologize if you found me rude and abrasive.

In fact I'm not rude or abrasive, but simply attempting to disabuse your good self of the prospects of your relocating (legally) to either Canada or the US with your qualifications.

Sadly, comically and ironically, you'd have a better chance if you were are a truck driver.

This is not my doing, so don't shoot the messenger.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 2:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's called a Dietitian in Canada. http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=3132

You can read more about getting registered here: Dietitians of Canada - Internship/practicum options for Internationally Educated Dietitians

Regulatory bodies:

College of Dietitians of British Columbia
College of Dietitians of Alberta
Saskatchewan Dietitians Association
College of Dietitians of Manitoba
College of Dietitians of Ontario
Ordre professionnel des diététistes du Québec
New Brunswick Association of Dietitians
Nova Scotia Dietetic Association
PEI Dietitians Registration Board
Newfoundland and Labrador College of Dietitians

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 9th 2014 at 2:34 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 2:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I work clinically so with heart disease patients, type 2 diabetes etc etc. I think the term "nutritionist" varies between countries. I'm Clinical and Public Health,
For NZ there seems to be a difference between Dietician and Nutritionist.
251111 DIETITIAN
    251112 NUTRITIONIST
      Neither occupation is in shortage for New Zealand. However, if the OP was to find an NZ job offer it is possible they could uplift a temp work visa which might lead to residency.
      Old Dec 9th 2014, 9:33 pm
      Just Joined

@ Sally Redux - well it's an area of the world that i havent really touched on yet and iv always wanted to go to the States ever since i was a little girl so i guess i have il always have that "what if" feeling if i dont give it a go at least. I do also run an online business aside from my day job and have a large social media following with my nutrition stuff. At least 80% of my audience and customers are from the US and Canada so i guess it's appealing to know that i seem to be quite popular and people like what i do in that neck of the woods too! And maybe that's something i can expand on/work with in the future.

@Sioxouxi - thanks so much for those links, il check them out! That's really helpful!

@BEVS - we have that difference in the UK too. There is a lot of overlap but dieticians are remedial (working with acute clinical/hospitalised care, more medicinal) and nutritionists are preventative (so helping people prevent and/or try to alleviate illness before getting to an acute stage through food, lifestyle). NZ is perhaps something for me to definately look at so thanks for the taking the time to post the info!! :-)
      Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:12 pm
      Lost in BE Cyberspace

@ Sally Redux - well it's an area of the world that i havent really touched on yet and iv always wanted to go to the States ever since i was a little girl so i guess i have il always have that "what if" feeling if i dont give it a go at least. I do also run an online business aside from my day job and have a large social media following with my nutrition stuff. At least 80% of my audience and customers are from the US and Canada so i guess it's appealing to know that i seem to be quite popular and people like what i do in that neck of the woods too! And maybe that's something i can expand on/work with in the future.

@Sioxouxi - thanks so much for those links, il check them out! That's really helpful!

@BEVS - we have that difference in the UK too. There is a lot of overlap but dieticians are remedial (working with acute clinical/hospitalised care, more medicinal) and nutritionists are preventative (so helping people prevent and/or try to alleviate illness before getting to an acute stage through food, lifestyle). NZ is perhaps something for me to definately look at so thanks for the taking the time to post the info!! :-)

Understood.

The healthcare provision is so different in the US though - they don't have the public health/preventive scope that the NHS does.

We tell everyone this, and they don't like to hear it, but once you move, everyday life is not that much different, so beware of that mental pitfall.

Any chance of something like an exchange/fact-finding visit or similar through your current workplace? Might be all you need to satisfy the wanderlust, or could give you some firmer leads for a move (although we have to be realistic about the chances of that happening)
      Old Dec 10th 2014, 12:48 am
      Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I never came across many nutritionists in the NHS- only dieticians covering both aspects so maybe private sector work is your only way forward and probably not in the US either (too much competition).

I suppose theoretically if you get your credentials assessed and are found equivalent (again theoretically) you might find a way into Canada through a job as it seems to me to be quite popular over here. There is definitely more emphasis on health here... But again with popular topics like that come a lot of qualified Canadians ready to do them. The popularity of your blog/website doesn't necessarily translate into a means to work in either country.

NZ is also a bit more like the UK model of healthcare but whether they employ nutritionists who know...scout around on the other boards? How about Australia?