New TWP policy?????????

Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New TWP policy?????????

Is this correct?
a "terrible" new federal policy that forces people who immigrate under Canada's temporary foreign worker program to leave the country after four years, then wait four more years before they can reapply,
If so when did this come into effect?

Does this preclude persons on a TWP from applying for PR?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New TWP policy?????????

Its half true...

Whats so terrible about it? TWP stands for "Temporary Work Permit"

Emphasis on Temporary...

You can only renew a couple of times now, but really you should go for PR once you are settled anyway... Its not like the old days when it took 4 years to get PR anymore.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

'Tis indeed correct.

It was introduced 3 or 4 months ago iirc, but doesn't apply to everybody on a TWP (i.e. not those on an intra-company transfer TWP amongst others).

And no, it doesn't stop people from applying for PR, they still can do. It just means that they can't stay on a TWP indefinitely.

Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

It was introduced on April 1st 2011. Does not apply to NOC O or A. Does not apply if you achieve PNP or PR etc. Just stops people spending 4 years plus on a TWP.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Its not like the old days when it took 4 years to get PR anymore.
That seems to be a whole other question.

I don't frequent this part of the forum much but when I do I sometimes see posts about people who applied under the old system say back in 2007, who have still not got their PR status yet. But there are those who have applied under the new system who are here already and have been for a while.

How does the government rationalize this?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
How does the government rationalize this?
Come now, this is the canadian government we are talking about, rationality has no place in this discussion!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:04 pm
pfw
Forum Regular

pfw is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that for people like me (intra company transferees) the usual limit is 5 years?

My advice to anyone on a TWP would be to apply for PR as soon as you are able to. The additional cost compared to the total cost of emigrating is not really that high and I can't see any circumstances under which you wouldn't want PR (after all, it doesn't force you to live in Canada).

With hindsight, it's something we left too late and is my main concern with my PR app at the moment. We now have just under 2 years left on my TWP and given some of the responses people are getting at the moment am not convinced that my PR process will be finalized by then (even though we are already over 12 months into the process). As I understand it for FSW2 a TWP needs to be valid at the point PR is issued, there is no implied status equivalent
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:37 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pfw
My understanding is that for people like me (intra company transferees) the usual limit is 5 years?

My advice to anyone on a TWP would be to apply for PR as soon as you are able to. The additional cost compared to the total cost of emigrating is not really that high and I can't see any circumstances under which you wouldn't want PR (after all, it doesn't force you to live in Canada).

With hindsight, it's something we left too late and is my main concern with my PR app at the moment. We now have just under 2 years left on my TWP and given some of the responses people are getting at the moment am not convinced that my PR process will be finalized by then (even though we are already over 12 months into the process). As I understand it for FSW2 a TWP needs to be valid at the point PR is issued, there is no implied status equivalent
Well, that is of course for those who are working on TWP rather than those who apply for AEO and stay in their country of origin until PR arrives.
This is the problem with Cat 2 FSW; they don't distinguish between the TWP route and the AEO route. Obviously, the TWP route is a bit more time-sensitive as the TWP needs to be in force when the PR is issued but for those on AEO there is no time pressure of this sort, but they don't treat them differently.
Basically, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
When my OH inquired about applying to renew his LMO and TWP, a woman at HRSDC said if he wanted to stay longer than 1 year, why hadn't he applied for PR?
My OH applied for PR one week after he got to Canada and there was only that delay because he needed to wait for the bank to issue the Bankers draft. It couldn't have been any faster!
HRSDC clearly have no idea how slowly CIC are working - or more precisely, London VO.
We applied over 9 months ago and not even meds yet.
We would have applied through PNP if we had got better information from CIC when we were deciding which route to apply through.
I hope there will be quicker processing of Cat 2 soon, but it is a worry.
Did you apply after the June changes or before?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:12 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

It is designed to get people off TWPs and into PR. They're emphasizing the "Temoporary" in TWP.

Basically people like me who have been in Canada since 2001 on a TWP (I have now applied for PR). This may seem a long time to some, but I know quite a few who've been doing the same thing for longer (one for nearly two decades).

Also, didn't "uncle" Dave Cameron propose something similar in his immigration speech a while back.

Last edited by JGK; Jun 21st 2011 at 1:20 am.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 6:06 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGK
It is designed to get people off TWPs and into PR. They're emphasizing the "Temoporary" in TWP.

Basically people like me who have been in Canada since 2001 on a TWP (I have now applied for PR). This may seem a long time to some, but I know quite a few who've been doing the same thing for longer (one for nearly two decades).
Well, if they are trying to do this, then I would like to know why they are taking so long to process FSW Cat 2!!!
As I said, we applied as soon as my OH got there, put the TWP copy in there and off it went. Nine months later, still waiting for meds from London.
They have been trying to make TWP really Temporary, as you describe, but the appalling situation at London is making this a nightmare for applicants who want PR. There is no implied status for FSW Cat 2 and this means increased bureaucracy every time we need to renew our LMO and TWP just because they haven't completed the PR.
It really is mad.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 6:45 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

.... but if you've been working in Canada for at least 2 years you can apply under the Canadian Experience Class. I don't know how long the timelines are for this at the moment, but I got mine in under 9 months from submitting the original application.

A temporary work permit is meant to be temporary after all, and it's my understanding that CEC cases get priority treatment in Buffalo....
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
.... but if you've been working in Canada for at least 2 years you can apply under the Canadian Experience Class. I don't know how long the timelines are for this at the moment, but I got mine in under 9 months from submitting the original application.

A temporary work permit is meant to be temporary after all, and it's my understanding that CEC cases get priority treatment in Buffalo....
11 months for 80% http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-ec.asp