New to this site. RMN help

Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

nemoinky is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New to this site. RMN help

Hi,

My Husband is an RMN with 3yrs post qual exp. Is there a different exam for RMN's to register in Canada or do they have to do the CRNE the same as RN's?

Also, is it easier to go out as Temp Work, then apply for permanent or just to go for PR? When we were trying to find out about job offers for if we apply PR, there seems to be some kind of Union intervention meaning that some States won't give you a job unless you are actually in Canada.

Any advice would be great. We're ok with visa's medicals etc, we did go to Australia on a long term visa, but we hated it & came back.

Thanks loads

Nicky
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

SarahMom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to this site. RMN help

Hi.
I'm an RMN moving out to Calgary on 2nd June with PR visas.
I had my qualification accepted by the CRPNA (different governing body to CARNA......has the psych bit in it!). I have to sit an exam once I get there to be Registered with them and I am not sure if it's the same exam as the 'general 'nurses take with CARNA. I posted that question on this site but got no replies .
If the exam is the same I'm stuffed!.......I trained back in the old days, pre project 2000 so my knowledge of general nursing is next to nothing!!
Good Luck
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:24 am
Just Joined

nemoinky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SarahMom
Hi.
I'm an RMN moving out to Calgary on 2nd June with PR visas.
I had my qualification accepted by the CRPNA (different governing body to CARNA......has the psych bit in it!). I have to sit an exam once I get there to be Registered with them and I am not sure if it's the same exam as the 'general 'nurses take with CARNA. I posted that question on this site but got no replies .
If the exam is the same I'm stuffed!.......I trained back in the old days, pre project 2000 so my knowledge of general nursing is next to nothing!!
Good Luck
Thanks for your reply. How long did it take you start/finish? Also, are you going with a job offer or not?

Thankfully Ian only qualified 3yrs ago & has a reasonable grasp on general nursing, but he's still really worried about doing the same one as generals.

Nicky x
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

SarahMom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
It took exactally a year from submitting PR applications to getting visas in passports. We were in no rush as I'd just had a baby and wanted our lives back to normal before emmigrating!! As normal as they can be!
I don't have a job offer but was sponsored by the Health Region so I'll apply for specific posts when I get there. I'm still confused about the exam and what the implications are of working prior to passing it.
There is an RMN who has been in Canada over a year now and used to post loads on here but has tailed off a bit.....she will know more.....I may PM her.
I must admit that I'm not very academic so I'm REALLY worried!!
Sarah
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is a RMN in BC interior health.

she had to sit an exam here that encompassed Mental and general nursing to get fully registered. she'd never done any general nursing but passed so i can't be too bad !

she got her qualifications accredited by them before she came over and then had to sit the exam within a set time period after she started work.

any questions send us a pm and i'll get her to fill in the blanks, but its different in every province