Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New to this site-Immigration to canada Info

New to this site-Immigration to canada Info

Old Jan 1st 2015, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New to this site-Immigration to canada Info

Hi,
My name is Tanya.
I have lived and worked in the UK all my life but now me and my husband are looking at immigrating to Canada to live and work over there. I am a registered staff nurse in the UK with a degree in clinical nursing and 11 years experience. My husband is a marine engineer and a HGV driver. Has anyone completed this process before? Any information on how long the process takes, where to start and how much is cost will be very much appreciated. We are not sure whether to complete the paperwork ourselves or employ an immigration Lawyer?
Are there any nurses around who know exactly what is required to register and practice as a nurse in Canada?
I have heard of a new system called the Express Entry? Has anyone tried this?
Thanks Tanya
Old Jan 1st 2015, 6:11 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this site-Immigration to canada Info

Originally Posted by telgar32
Hi,
My name is Tanya.
I have lived and worked in the UK all my life but now me and my husband are looking at immigrating to Canada to live and work over there. I am a registered staff nurse in the UK with a degree in clinical nursing and 11 years experience. My husband is a marine engineer and a HGV driver. Has anyone completed this process before? Any information on how long the process takes, where to start and how much is cost will be very much appreciated. We are not sure whether to complete the paperwork ourselves or employ an immigration Lawyer?
Are there any nurses around who know exactly what is required to register and practice as a nurse in Canada?
I have heard of a new system called the Express Entry? Has anyone tried this?
Thanks Tanya
Hi and welcome to BE. The best place to start is by having a good read of the Wiki section. It's the fourth tab from the left on the blue bar above. It contains a wealth of information and should answer most of your questions. You should also use the search funtion to find the many threads about nursing. When you have done these two things come back with some specific questions and doubtless help will be forthcoming. Good luck
Old Jan 1st 2015, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for that Simon I shall have a look at the Wiki section now.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 2:26 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Also you can't register to nurse in Canada per se as every province has individual requirements to meet... There is a new organisation in place called NNAS which looks through all criteria and then you apply to the individual province.

It would probably be a good idea to know where you want to live or if you don't mind then maybe the easiest province to register in?

I can only speak for Ontario and approaching a year on I still haven't heard anything about verification of my documents/employment etc, still don't know when I can go forward and write the RPN exam. There are lots of threads about becoming an RN in Ontario and without wanting to put you off don't make for happy reading.

Get reading and get started is the best advice I can give if you really want to come! It can take a while!!!

Good luck and welcome to BE!
Old Jan 1st 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Tirytory! Me and my husband are open minded about where we live so like you say the province that is easiest to register in will be the starting point. Do you have any idea which province this would be? Couldn't agree more about the posts! It doesn't seem to be a quick or easy process, but if you have the will there is a way! I hope you get your documents/employment verified soon.
I don't have experience in midwifery, or paediatrics so I hope that doesn't go again me.
Good luck
Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have experience in midwifery, or paediatrics so I hope that doesn't go again me.
Good luck
It isn't so much experience but clinical and theory hours on your nursing transcripts that show Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. NNAS is a new process and I haven't seen anyone post their experience going through it. Their website states can be anywhere from 2 months to 2 years. Difficult to say which province is the easier as most provincial colleges have the same or very similar requirements to register as a RN and on average the process takes a while and is expensive. I would suggest research and decide where in Canada you both want to live and work and then go from there.

I am a RN in NS and have been working since 2010 here in Canada, although moved here in 2008.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 11:40 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
It isn't so much experience but clinical and theory hours on your nursing transcripts that show Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. NNAS is a new process and I haven't seen anyone post their experience going through it. Their website states can be anywhere from 2 months to 2 years. Difficult to say which province is the easier as most provincial colleges have the same or very similar requirements to register as a RN and on average the process takes a while and is expensive. I would suggest research and decide where in Canada you both want to live and work and then go from there.

I am a RN in NS and have been working since 2010 here in Canada, although moved here in 2008.
I did get the impression that BC were definitely quicker, maybe because of a shortage of nurses? Nova Scotia was less of an issue for us as neither of us felt it was for us.

It might also be helpful asking the same questions for your husband. His job might be more helpful.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to you both Silverdragon and Tirytory. Unfortunately I do lack theory as well as experience in Paeds, mental health, obstetric but have plenty of experience and qualifications in adult. Have either of you heard about bridging courses that can help you gain theory and experience where you lack it? Maybe that a possibility, or even working as a health care assistant until you become licenced.
Good idea Tirytory about my husband asking the same questions about his job and me maybe coming over with him.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:44 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Thanks to you both Silverdragon and Tirytory. Unfortunately I do lack theory as well as experience in Paeds, mental health, obstetric but have plenty of experience and qualifications in adult. Have either of you heard about bridging courses that can help you gain theory and experience where you lack it? Maybe that a possibility, or even working as a health care assistant until you become licenced.
Good idea Tirytory about my husband asking the same questions about his job and me maybe coming over with him.
There is a bridging course in York University, Ontario - it's the one closest to me so the only one I know of- it's for immigrant nurses but it takes three years and costs about 10,000 dollars which isn't feasible for me. I am diploma trained so have applied for registration as an RPN, very similar sounding to the old UK EN which doesn't please me but I think their scope of practice is expanding and my long term plan is to do an RN course online.

Health care assistants have courses behind them over here, I haven't really considered that option but from what I can gather even as a Staff Nurse you can't get a job doing tht at without the right course. However I might be completely wrong about that.

Lots to think about?!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Yes, lots of thinking over the past few weeks! Does anyone know if it is possible to come over to Canada, find a job and for the employer to help with the registration process?
Old Jan 31st 2015, 9:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, lots of thinking over the past few weeks! Does anyone know if it is possible to come over to Canada, find a job and for the employer to help with the registration process?
You can certainly come over to job hunt (in fact it's advised), and then return to the UK whilst you wait for registration/visa.

HTH.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 11:47 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Employers have no pull with the CNO (Ontario) so can't make the process easier or quicker so it is what it is.. Unless you can afford to live on one wage (your husbands) and live in Canada through him and you get a part time job it isn't feasible.

I'm here because of my husband's job and he can support us without me needing to work. I want to work however, and I had some almost good news this week. Three out of four categories I have passed their assessment and awaiting their decision on my university transcripts as to whether they will put me forward for RPN exam. Bad news is that there are only three exams in 2015 and I need to be put forward by beginning of March to sit the second one (already missed one try at exam) so I'm keeping fingers crossed that they assess me quickly. At best I might only be out of nursing 20months. At worst I might be waiting until 2016 to even sit the exam!!!! That's my experience anyway!