Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

new rules for immigration and work experience.

new rules for immigration and work experience.

Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

brsnbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new rules for immigration and work experience.

hello everyone,
i was thinking about moving to canada (from US), saw that there were some recent changes in immigration system. I need some advice from experienced people regarding immigration process. I see that there are several "demand" occupations. Fortunatelly i qualify under 7242, industrial electrician. I did an apprentecship with Union Pacific railroad as diesel electrician (locomotive electrician), which clearly qualifies under 7242 job description. However i worked with them for 3.5 years. The apprentship was 3 years and that held journeyman status for 0.5 years. The question is, time spent as an apprentice counts as work experience or not?
thanks everyone.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new rules for immigration and work experience.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't think that the apprenticeship would count towards the one year minimum work requirement (although that is just a guess) but I don't know if you've looked into whether or not you'd need to get your equivalency of qualifications sorted?

For a UK electrician, they have to get something called the Red Seal to be able to work in Canada - and they cannot get the Red Seal unless they can prove that they have at least 9000 hours of experience (not including apprenticeships). I have no idea if it's the same for you coming from the US but I think you'll need to look into that first, as that may make your question null and void anyway!!

Also, it says in the NOC matrix for your job that:

"Completion of a four- or five-year industrial electrician apprenticeship program or a combination of over five years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in industrial electrical equipment is usually required to be eligible for trade certification."

So I don't know if you would be eligible under that? Anyway, have a read of this Wiki link for more info about the Red Seal etc. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Skilled_Trades

Good luck.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Ok, this is the confusion.
check out this from NOC web site:

Results of "View all Titles"
Results :33
apprentice industrial electrician
apprentice marine electrician
diesel electrician – railway
electric signal repairer – railway
electrical repairer, crane maintenance
electrical repairer, industrial
electrical repairer, machine shop
electrical technician – military
electrician – rail transport
electrician, industrial
electrician, plant maintenance
electrician, shipyard
industrial electrician
industrial electrician apprentice
industrial electrician lead hand
journeyman/woman industrial electrician
maintenance electrician – industrial
marine electrician
marine electrician – military
marine equipment electrician
marine wireman/woman
mill electrician
mine electrician
plant electrician
plant maintenance electrician
railway signal installer
railway signal maintainer
rig electrician
ship's electrician
ship's electrician – shipbuilding and repair
ship's electrician – water transport
shipyard electrician
signal maintainer, railway

The very first title, "apprentice industrial electrician" includes the apprentice process as qualifyting based on my interprentation. true or not? Also, for federal process, not prvince nominated, i do not believe someone has to "get qualified" based on local provinces regulations. All they have to do is show number of years of work experience.
Thanks.

Last edited by brsnbs; Dec 20th 2008 at 4:32 am.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the most important question here is, are you a US citzen? if so your probably wasting your time going on a british expats website, the reason being that Canada and the US have different regulations when it comes to immigration that only apply to each other.

Its easier for a US citzen to get into canada.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 4:56 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by stubby42
I think the most important question here is, are you a US citzen? if so your probably wasting your time going on a british expats website, the reason being that Canada and the US have different regulations when it comes to immigration that only apply to each other.

Its easier for a US citzen to get into canada.
The Immigration rules are exactly the same for all citizens. The only difference is in Work Permits eg NAFTA
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:14 am
Just Joined

so the question remains, can i claim 3 years of work experience as apprentice/journeyman based on the above?

thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brsnbs
Also, for federal process, not prvince nominated, i do not believe someone has to "get qualified" based on local provinces regulations. All they have to do is show number of years of work experience.
Thanks.
When I mentioned the Red Seal and proving no. of hrs experience, etc, (and mentioned what the NOC list says about what you need to be eligible for trade certification) it wasn't in relation to being eligible for FSW or not - simply being able to find a job. It's not much good if you qualify as a FSW but then can't actually work in Canada as you don't have the requisite no. of hours!! That's why I mentioned it.

Hopefully somebody will be along to answer your question about the apprenticeship shortly.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:41 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brsnbs
so the question remains, can i claim 3 years of work experience as apprentice/journeyman based on the above?

thanks.
9000 hrs is time spent on the job.
When we moved to alberta hubby had to provide all his apprentice papers, plus 9000hrs doing the actual job.

He is also an industrial electrician and has been since leaving school, if the rules apply the same then your port of call will be the board on where you are looking at moving too...............
if you can advise which area of canada that you are looking at i maybe able to give more advise.

All electricians in canada must hold a licence, there is no getting around this ....sorry