Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New resident sponsoring visiting British wife (outland)

New resident sponsoring visiting British wife (outland)

Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:05 am
Just Joined

racoon83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New resident sponsoring visiting British wife (outland)

I have Canadian citizenship (and a valid passport) through descent even though I have never lived in Canada. My wife and I will be moving to Canada in a few weeks. I will go in on my Canadian passport and my wife will go in on her British passport as a visitor on visa-waiver (hopefully for 6 months, or as long as the immigration officer will stamp).

What we intend to do is to start the outland sponsorship process within a few weeks of arrival (once I have a local address and SIN number, driver license etc). Hoping someone can help with some of our concerns and questions:

1) will CPC Mississauga consider me to be eligible to sponsor seeing as I will only have lived in the country for a very short time?

2) Will a local sublet agreement suffice as proof of a local address for me? Can my wife put this down as a mailing address while declaring her residential address to be our address in the UK? Would it be better to get a PO Box address in Canada instead?

3) I will be job-hunting at the time we file the outland application, but we have enough savings to support ourselves. Will not being employed be a problem if we just state that we have savings alongside the application?

4) Will it be okay to declare my wife is living with me in Canada as a visitor (Q12 on form 5540-Sponsor Questionnaire) or should we not mention it?

5) What should we tell the immigration official when we enter Canada? Should we just say we are on an extended visit (we will have 6 suitcases with us!) or should we mention we intend to start PR proceedings?

Thanks very much!!!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New resident sponsoring visiting British wife (outland)

Somebody with more knowledge than me will answer your specific questions, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum!

And you do realise that as a citizen you can sponsor your wife from the UK? You don't have to wait until you are in Canada to start the process.

Good luck with it all.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Somebody with more knowledge than me will answer your specific questions, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum!

And you do realise that as a citizen you can sponsor your wife from the UK? You don't have to wait until you are in Canada to start the process.

Good luck with it all.
Thank you very much!

The reasons we wanted to wait until we get to Canada to file the application outland is threefold - 1. the medical exams seem much less pricey in Canada, 2. as I have never been to Canada and don't yet have a job offer or a property in Canada, we thought the case for 'reestablishing in Canada' will be stronger if I have actually moved back and 3. we are eager to get there asap and start our lives.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:59 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Be honest about your intentions. They will not mind that but they do hate it when people try to deny the obvious.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Be honest about your intentions. They will not mind that but they do hate it when people try to deny the obvious.
Thanks for the advice Jim.

Also, if we were to visit some friends in the US (overland by car) during that time after we filed the outland PR application, would we find any difficulties reentering Canada? (My wife would have a return ticket to the UK dated for 6 months from date of first entry to Canada, just incase her PR hasn't come through by that time) Thanks