Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

new permanent residency application procedure??

new permanent residency application procedure??

Old May 11th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road
Default new permanent residency application procedure??

So I thought I had this whole application proccess figured out.. I wait for my AEO to be approved...which it was friday...and from what I can gather in the 6 weeks it took the application procedure has changed!!

From what I can gather from reading the CIC website...I now send away my application to Sydney, NS...not London...for an initial assesment? Can anyone confirm that this is true? I am applying as a skilled worker, currently on work visa with job offer.

If it is true...does this make the actual process longer? as I have 6 months remaining on my work visa (cutting it fine I know!)

Thanks,

Garry
Old May 11th 2009, 11:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new permanent residency application procedure??

Hi

Originally Posted by canglish
So I thought I had this whole application proccess figured out.. I wait for my AEO to be approved...which it was friday...and from what I can gather in the 6 weeks it took the application procedure has changed!!

From what I can gather from reading the CIC website...I now send away my application to Sydney, NS...not London...for an initial assesment? Can anyone confirm that this is true? I am applying as a skilled worker, currently on work visa with job offer.

If it is true...does this make the actual process longer? as I have 6 months remaining on my work visa (cutting it fine I know!)

Thanks,

Garry

Yes, follow the instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/skilled.asp CIC is stating 6-12 months from the time overseas office receives the file.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

ok just checking I had it right...Do you know what happens if I am still awaiting to hear back or receive PR and my work visa expires?? can I stay as a visitor til I get it or retain my status as a worker til a final decision is made?
Old May 11th 2009, 1:40 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

ok just checking I had it right...Do you know what happens if I am still awaiting to hear back or receive PR and my work visa expires?? can I stay as a visitor til I get it or retain my status as a worker til a final decision is made?
If you make an application to extend your work permit before it expires then you can continue working (for the same employer) under what is know as Implied Status until you receive a decision on your application to extend. So if you are expecting your PR visa within a couple of months of your TWP expiry this would be a good strategy.

If there is obviously going to be a much greater gap between the TWP expiry and the PR visa being issued you can apply to change your status from a Temporary Worker to a Visitor and remain as a Visitor while you await your PR visa. If its more than 6 months you may need to extend your visitor status part way through.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ah ok thanks Paul. I kind of thought that...but then I was also told you could only fast track PR if you had time for it to proccess before TWP expired? Maybe I have my wires crossed (wouldn't be the first time!!) how soon before the visa expires should I be attempting to get implied status if it comes to it?
Old May 11th 2009, 2:13 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok thanks Paul. I kind of thought that...but then I was also told you could only fast track PR if you had time for it to proccess before TWP expired? Maybe I have my wires crossed (wouldn't be the first time!!) how soon before the visa expires should I be attempting to get implied status if it comes to it?
No, for Category 2 Skilled Worker (i.e. you have arranged employment) the important thing is that you have a permanent job offer and an HRSDC confirmation (if required). You dont actually have to be working prior to making your application.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Oh perfect!! Ya I just got offer approved Friday from New Brunswick! its a different job to the work visa im on...but with the same employer (pretty long and involved story) but ya, I am guessing its best to apply under caterogry 2...(been told this before) hopefully its all a go...the only concern I have is proving work experience...I have 2 references from employers back home...all stating time periods I worked for them, job duties, on headed paper..signed. I have no job contrat or pay stubs to show for one of alot of the time periods...hopefully It will be ok?
Old May 11th 2009, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh perfect!! Ya I just got offer approved Friday from New Brunswick! its a different job to the work visa im on...but with the same employer (pretty long and involved story) but ya, I am guessing its best to apply under caterogry 2...(been told this before) hopefully its all a go...the only concern I have is proving work experience...I have 2 references from employers back home...all stating time periods I worked for them, job duties, on headed paper..signed. I have no job contrat or pay stubs to show for one of alot of the time periods...hopefully It will be ok?
Congrats on the AEO! If you don't have a contract or pay slips, then you can use your P60's instead.

Old May 11th 2009, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Don't have P60's either...haha, just a reference. The company I worked for was ridiculous for fileing things and as it was over 7 yrs ago no longer has it on record. Hope this won't be a problem...I have paystubs for the other job and current work, just have 4 yrs missing...which might affect my 4 plus yrs work experience claim if they don't accept it? ahhhhhhhh I give up!! haha...do you ever get any confidence with this whole PR thing working out?!
Old May 11th 2009, 11:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have P60's either...haha, just a reference. The company I worked for was ridiculous for fileing things and as it was over 7 yrs ago no longer has it on record. Hope this won't be a problem...I have paystubs for the other job and current work, just have 4 yrs missing...which might affect my 4 plus yrs work experience claim if they don't accept it? ahhhhhhhh I give up!! haha...do you ever get any confidence with this whole PR thing working out?!
Nope, course you don't!

If you don't have P60's (supposed to keep them for 10 years by the way!), then you'll have to get your National Insurance records. You need proof that you worked there and were paid, rather than just a letter (after all, you could just ask a mate to write a letter) - if you do a search of the forums you'll find info on how to get your NI records and who you need to write to.

Old May 12th 2009, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you don't have P60's (supposed to keep them for 10 years by the way!)
I'm just curious but why do you think that? Most limitation periods in England and Wales are 6 years. Do you have any legal authority for the 10 year period?
Old May 12th 2009, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I'm just curious but why do you think that? Most limitation periods in England and Wales are 6 years. Do you have any legal authority for the 10 year period?
Now been told that by 3 different accountants! So just assumed it was some kind of tax advice but didn't really ask the reason behind it. They all said the same thing though, keep them for 10 years min to be safe.

Old May 12th 2009, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Now been told that by 3 different accountants! So just assumed it was some kind of tax advice but didn't really ask the reason behind it. They all said the same thing though, keep them for 10 years min to be safe.

Thanks
Old May 12th 2009, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

"You need proof that you worked there and were paid, rather than just a letter (after all, you could just ask a mate to write a letter)"

Don't they check up on the references? if they did it would be pretty obvious it wasn't a mate!! whats the point in getting a reference if they don't even use it!!! jesus...this is a never ending struggle!! haha, why do we even bother!
Old May 12th 2009, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

"You need proof that you worked there and were paid, rather than just a letter (after all, you could just ask a mate to write a letter)"

Don't they check up on the references? if they did it would be pretty obvious it wasn't a mate!! whats the point in getting a reference if they don't even use it!!! jesus...this is a never ending struggle!! haha, why do we even bother!
They often do check up on it but only by phone I believe - so not sure how it would be 'pretty obvious it wasn't a mate'? He could just lie again on the phone and say you worked at his office and he was your boss! So you need actual proof. The reference is only part of what they require.