New Minister speaks

Old Jan 20th 2002, 10:17 am
Berto Volpentesta

If you happened to catch any of Question Period, channel 8 here in = Toronto, then
you caught a little of what the Hon. Dennis Coderre is = about. =20

Seems that he is a rising star with the PM after spending quite a long = time in the
trenches even though he seems young.

Certainly he was put there by the PM because he is both capable and has = the skills
needed to carry out the task at hand.

Also, very interesting, whereas Ms. Caplan was leaving the department = defiant at
the thought of any change, Mr. Coderre has stated that he is = open to discussion
with all the stakeholders.

Most indicative perhpas, is his statement on retroactivity where he = indicated that
it was not fair to change in the middle and that it was = still open. Ouch my neck.
Complete reversal from Ms. Caplan.

The interviewers were stuck a lot on the refugee and illegals question = which in my
mind is all about show and has no real implication. Those = areas of the Act and regs
have been beefed up anyway.

Seems like some good news on the horizon.

--=20 Good luck,

All opinions expressed are IMHO, not anyone else's

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com