Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New Member - Conjugal or common-law?

Wikiposts

New Member - Conjugal or common-law?

Old Jan 26th 2016, 5:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member - Conjugal or common-law?

Originally Posted by bramallblade
Sadly I'm 30 so I guess I miss the boat in that regard. We might just have to wait until July.

Out of interest, would a civil partnership be viewed as 'marriage' by CIC? Just a thought. Wedding is pencilled in for August 2017.
Provided you are not 31, you can still apply! They will accept your application and your age is 'locked in' at the date you apply, so even if you hit 31 prior to activating the work permit it will still be valid.

Places are going quickly - it's a bit of a lottery now - so I would suggest getting an application in and keeping your fingers crossed.

International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada

See section 5:41 for your other question http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 26th 2016 at 5:21 am.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 5:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly I'm 30 so I guess I miss the boat in that regard. We might just have to wait until July.
No you don't - yay! It's 30 and under, so you're eligible until you turn 31. You would need to apply NOW (literally, like get on it today - half of this years visas have already gone and the rest are a lottery, so the sooner you apply the more chance you've got of being selected).

That would give you a two year open work permit, meaning you could both go to Canada together in August and you'd be able to work and stay there whilst you get your full year of living together (make sure you get lots of proof this time).

That would be much better than your other options (which are basically to bring the wedding forward, or qualify for a visa in another way, or try and accompany your bf when he returns to Canada but you'd be on visitor status to start with and couldn't work/wouldn't be eligible for healthcare).

So I would really recommend that you get cracking with an IEC app, as that's your easiest way over by a mile and would mean you could work etc whilst waiting for PR.

Good luck!
Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your info guys earlier this week. I have now formally submitted my application under the 'International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada'.

Any idea when I might hear if am lucky enough to be invited to apply?
Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your info guys earlier this week. I have now formally submitted my application under the 'International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada'.

It's totally random this year, could be tomorrow.. equally you could not receive an invite at all this year
Old Jan 30th 2016, 3:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant!

As said above, you might get an ITA in the next draw, or might get one in 3 months time, or might not get one at all. It's a complete lottery I'm afraid, basically whether or not your name gets picked out of the hat.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

That's frustrating but unavoidable. Is there any clue as to when they pick names?
Old Jan 30th 2016, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

That's frustrating but unavoidable. Is there any clue as to when they pick names?
As and when they please
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

I have a medical booked this coming Saturday. Am I right in thinking they are valid for 6 months? I submitted proof of medical booking in my application so presume that I should go through with it this weekend as planned?

Any thoughts guys?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have a medical booked this coming Saturday. Am I right in thinking they are valid for 6 months? I submitted proof of medical booking in my application so presume that I should go through with it this weekend as planned?

Any thoughts guys?
Which application?

There is no medical requirement for an IEC working holiday work permit unless you are intending on working with vulnerable people, working in the education system or working in the health industry or you have recently resided in one of the designated countries on CIC's list.

If you are talking about a spousal application, then you submit the proof of undergoing the medical with your application, not proof of booking it. The medical is valid for 1 year.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 31st 2016 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Any thoughts guys?
As Siouxie said, they're valid for a year, but remember that you have to land before it expires, not just submit it before the year is up.

So personally, as you can't apply until July at the earliest (preferably later to get more proof of living as spouses and 'combining your affairs'), I would cancel Sat's appointment and wait until you're actually about to submit your PR app.

HTH.