Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New IELT Requirement - non English spouse

Wikiposts

New IELT Requirement - non English spouse

Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default New IELT Requirement - non English spouse

Just getting our docs ready for sending to the CIO.

My wife is German. Does she also have to do a language test, or just me as the main applicant? If she does not need to do one, can anyone point me in the direction of where it states this on the CIC web-site?

Also, if she doesn't need to do a test, does she just write a letter explaining how she learned/uses English?

Many thanks,
Wolst
Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:54 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New IELT Requirement - non English spouse

Hi

Originally Posted by wolstie
Just getting our docs ready for sending to the CIO.

My wife is German. Does she also have to do a language test, or just me as the main applicant? If she does not need to do one, can anyone point me in the direction of where it states this on the CIC web-site?

Also, if she doesn't need to do a test, does she just write a letter explaining how she learned/uses English?

Many thanks,
Wolst
1. No just the principal applicant is required to take a language test.
2. No, again it just the principal.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks.

Do you happen to know where on the CIC web site it states that?

Wolst
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

The language requirement goes towards the overall points score, which is based on the principle applicant, therefore she won't have to prove her ability.

I don't think it does explicitly state she wont need to do it on the website.

Do the online points checker.

good luck!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

There are no points for spouse's language, only for education. Thus nobody assesses spouse's language proficiency under federal program.

But under the Quebec program there are points for spouse's language, so the test results are needed for both spouses when applying through Quebec.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Of course, that makes sense now.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.