Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New Here: EE or PNP for Uni lecturer

New Here: EE or PNP for Uni lecturer

Old May 13th 2020, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Superhands01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Here: EE or PNP for Uni lecturer

Hi everyone. I hope you are all well..
So, for years I have been looking at moving to Canada and I think that various things have settled down enough to finally organise this. Anyway...

So, on Saturday, we had a web expo with.... Brazolot... I know I know, but it spurred us on. We have just had the skype call with him and since the expo nothing sat right with me. And reading on here has confirmed it and we are planning on doing it ourselves... however... He has confused it for us as to what it the best path. Please can I pick someone's brains to see what they suggest?
Our situation, My wife is English, 36 (37 in sept) and she has a Ph.D. in business. Lecturers at our local Uni (8 years experience). She also has a degree and masters as well and she speaks basic french.
I am English 37 (38 in Sept) and I am a qualified digital marketer/E-commerce manager (5.5 years experience).

Brazolot scored us as 455 and being 5 points shy for EE. We have just tried the CRC tool and my wife scored us with not quite top marks (band 7/8) for English with our qualifications she scored us at 464... so just north of EE...

Now, this is the question....
My wife's career is kind of specific and limited in openings. So, we like the sound of BC but might be difficult due to the number of Unis, subjects they teach, and the level/rank of the uni... She might struggle to get a job offer there.
We do, however, have friends who moved to NS on a PNP visa in March so we are not averse to going to NS.

Do we go for EE or is there a PNP for this type of job?
If EE, BC or NS? Or is there another method for this type of career that I am not aware of?
Neither of us is getting any younger and looking to move sooner rather than later (12-18 months)

Brazolot did us a favour with giving us motivation but threw so much information has confused us as to which is the best option. He seemed to be pushing us for a PNP for some reason and basically said EE was not gunna happen... But how would a PNP help us?

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your time.
Old May 14th 2020, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Here: EE or PNP for Uni lecturer

Hi, welcome to BE.

Bit of a no brainer if you do score enough for EE, that would always be my recommended route. Most PNP's cost more, take longer, tie you to the province, and require a job offer. Brazolot was probably pushing it because then he'd get extra fees as it's a two stage process.

Double and trick check your points score, if you're sure you have enough then EE would be the way to go IMO. If you want to break your points score down for us then somebody can double check it for you.

Bear in mind your wife will lose points for age in Sept too, so you need to get cracking asap!

Good luck.
Old May 14th 2020, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

christmasoompa Thank you for your reply. We have a lot to learn and such a short period to do so.
I a not sure how to break the points down so it is ok I need to have a read through her more thoroughly and I might come back.

Thanks again
Old May 14th 2020, 11:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Superhands01
christmasoompa Thank you for your reply. We have a lot to learn and such a short period to do so.
I a not sure how to break the points down so it is ok I need to have a read through her more thoroughly and I might come back.

Thanks again
1. The point calculator is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ess-entry.html
2. Pretty straight forward, put down your English results at the top numbers for IELTs. As if you had taken the exam.
3. Use your PHD as the top for the Education (you would need an ECA, if you intend to submit an Expression of Interest)
4. I would do the calculation twice, once with the spouse as accompanying and once with non accompanying to see how much is the difference.
Old May 27th 2020, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

PMM Thank you for the reply. We are looking good. we have started the WES application and looking to book the IELTS but well.. corona virus...
Can I ask, what are the benefits of my wife applying without a spouse? Seems odd as I will be going... Thanks again.
Old May 27th 2020, 4:43 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

PMM Thank you for the reply. We are looking good. we have started the WES application and looking to book the IELTS but well.. corona virus...
Can I ask, what are the benefits of my wife applying without a spouse? Seems odd as I will be going... Thanks again.
1. Because in some instances where the spouse has a low language score and limited education, it drags down the score total.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi PMM
I am not sure this is the correct place. I am trying to get my head around this.
I have just had another look at our CRS score. We score 490 as far as I can tell.
We have both submitted our WES details and awaiting that to come through.
We are revising for our IELTS exams. Aiming to get 9's.
So, we haven't completed our profiles yet.
My wife has her Phd an is a Uni lecturer (NOC 4011A) which limits the jobs she can apply for (unis.... unis with business schools..... Unis with business schools with a vacancy...)
Is the FSW EE the best option for us?
She has a degree, masters, and a PhD and is 36 (37 in Sept) and been in the role for 8 years.
I have a level 6 diploma in marketing (degree equivalent NOC 0124 0 I think) 37 (38 in Sept).
I fear I am pushing down one alley when there might be a better option. I don't think a PNP is an option for us due to the job limitations for my wife.

Any advice is greatly received. Thank you
Old Jun 10th 2020, 11:16 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi PMM
I am not sure this is the correct place. I am trying to get my head around this.
I have just had another look at our CRS score. We score 490 as far as I can tell.
We have both submitted our WES details and awaiting that to come through.
Hi

We are revising for our IELTS exams. Aiming to get 9's.
So, we haven't completed our profiles yet.
My wife has her Phd an is a Uni lecturer (NOC 4011A) which limits the jobs she can apply for (unis.... unis with business schools..... Unis with business schools with a vacancy...)
Is the FSW EE the best option for us?
She has a degree, masters, and a PhD and is 36 (37 in Sept) and been in the role for 8 years.
I have a level 6 diploma in marketing (degree equivalent NOC 0124 0 I think) 37 (38 in Sept).
I fear I am pushing down one alley when there might be a better option. I don't think a PNP is an option for us due to the job limitations for my wife.

Any advice is greatly received. Thank you
1. Have your wife be the principal applicant, as she has the highest education and will garner the highest score. With a 490 score apply for EE, she easily get an ITA on the next EE draw.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. just laying my mind at rest.
We spoke to Braolot and he basically said we wouldn't get EE. and it worries me that's all.
Thank you
Old Jun 11th 2020, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I think I should mention one point ......... from my experience of both of us working in a university environment in Canada since 1968.

Lecturers tend to be the lowest of the low in the ranking. Most are employed as Sessional lecturers unless they can prove themselves as extraordinary in some way (eg teaching in a Science laboratory programme) and get offered a permanent position as Lecturer, which may put them on a tenure track or not.

Many universities advertise positions in the CAUT Bulletin

https://www.caut.ca/bulletin

It might be worth your wife's time to browse though online editions.

Most, if not all, Canadian universities are planning on having most courses mainly online in September, and who knows how long that will last?
Old Jun 11th 2020, 8:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. just laying my mind at rest.
We spoke to Braolot and he basically said we wouldn't get EE. and it worries me that's all.
Thank you
Can you ask him why he says that? Current draws are at around 460-470, so you're scoring well over that and would get an ITA in the next FSW draw once in the pool. Without knowing your points breakdown, it's hard for us to say if it's accurate or not though, do post your points breakdown if you want us to double check it.

EE is definitely the easiest and quickest option if you can apply under that. Your points score is great, but there are other criteria to be able to enter the EE pool in the first place, perhaps Brazolot thinks you don't meet the criteria there? Have you taken the Come to Canada tool on the CIC website just to check you'd be eligible to enter the EE pool? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html
Old Jun 11th 2020, 9:20 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I think I should mention one point ......... from my experience of both of us working in a university environment in Canada since 1968.

Lecturers tend to be the lowest of the low in the ranking. Most are employed as Sessional lecturers unless they can prove themselves as extraordinary in some way (eg teaching in a Science laboratory programme) and get offered a permanent position as Lecturer, which may put them on a tenure track or not.

Many universities advertise positions in the CAUT Bulletin

https://www.caut.ca/bulletin

It might be worth your wife's time to browse though online editions.

Most, if not all, Canadian universities are planning on having most courses mainly online in September, and who knows how long that will last?
For the record, that's not the case in my experience. But whatever.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
For the record, that's not the case in my experience. But whatever.

I presume you are referring to my comments about Lecturers, not to the online teaching come September?

Different universities, different provinces, different faculties.

Science usually good with lecturers, although many were Sessional. Arts usually the pits, lecturers were lowly paid and not certain for having continuing positions. Only difference now is Faculty Associations may have helped raise the pay scales, but there are still complaints about security of position from year to year and pay.

We have friends who were/are lecturers across the country and in both Science and Arts faculties.

Plus of course, several faculties including business use adjunct professors and sometimes lecturers ...... people working in the field but who give 1 or 2 courses or parts of courses.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi again,
So, its been a while and we are slowly getting through bits and bobs. Still trying to go for EE.
I have been reading through the Wiki and trying to make sure I have this..
FSW points we score 70 I think.
CRS points we did it again the other day and got 461 based on level 8 IELTS (just to be safe but obvs aiming for 9).
My wifes WES qualifications are all done and she has a nice badge on her Linked In.
I had some problems with the Chartered Institute of Marketing and WES not talking to each other due to digital copies of my qualifications due to c19... but that seems to have clicked in to place today!
Our IELTs are booked for a couple of weeks time. We have opted to do the computer based test for a number of reasons but one being its a quicker turn around as we are in a hurry.

Here are where my questions start..
My wife and I both have birthdays in September (she will be 37, i will be 38), do we need to submit our profile BEFORE sept? Or can we still submit in Sept?

We have to get a criminal record check and a Medical check dont we? This is once our profiles have been submitted isn't it?
My wife had breast cancer 4 years ago and was discharged 3 years ago. Will this be on the medical record? if so, will it likely have any effect? Can we be turned down??

I think thats all for now. We have let this roll for so long now and its getting detrimental to our points. So trying to get a rush on so we can make the best of what we have.
Thanks again for your help

Old Aug 6th 2020, 9:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You can apply whenever you like, your points will drop when you have a birthday though unless you've had an ITA by then.

Have you had your ECA back yet?

You don't need to send police certs, or have medicals done, until you actually get an ITA. The UK police cert is very quick, some countries can be much longer though so if you need one from a country with a longer processing time, you may want to think about starting that process sooner rather than later in anticipation.

And your wife's history of cancer won't affect things at all. You can only fail the medical if you have something that is a threat to public health, or if your healthcare will cost the Canadian system more than a certain amount per year. As your wife isn't having any treatment now, that will be fine. Glad she's beaten it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.