new "Fast track" PR visa???

Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:58 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
gaz555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new "Fast track" PR visa???

Hi folks,

new member to the forum but have been a reader for years.

I've read everything I can get my hands on in terms of getting PR visas for Canada, but I'm still confused about them.

Is it just me or is all information online and most discussions really out of date? Everything online seems to be about 4 years old.

I'm desparate to start my application asap but need to know I'm doing it in the fastest possible way - I want to be cleared to live and work in Canada as quickly as humanly (and legally) possible.

A few threads have mentioned a relatively new "fast-track" visa process, with references to the new and old systems.

I score enough points to get a skilled worker visa even without employment and I'm pretty sure I know a company that would give me a formal offer if i need it - though they aren't my first choice.

How fast is this ilusive fast-track - 12 months? 24 months? 40 months?

Many thanks for your help in advance.
gaz555 is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:22 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Waggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Loughborough, England, UK
Posts: 908
Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Originally Posted by gaz555
Hi folks,

new member to the forum but have been a reader for years.

I've read everything I can get my hands on in terms of getting PR visas for Canada, but I'm still confused about them.

Is it just me or is all information online and most discussions really out of date? Everything online seems to be about 4 years old.

I'm desparate to start my application asap but need to know I'm doing it in the fastest possible way - I want to be cleared to live and work in Canada as quickly as humanly (and legally) possible.

A few threads have mentioned a relatively new "fast-track" visa process, with references to the new and old systems.

I score enough points to get a skilled worker visa even without employment and I'm pretty sure I know a company that would give me a formal offer if i need it - though they aren't my first choice.

How fast is this ilusive fast-track - 12 months? 24 months? 40 months?

Many thanks for your help in advance.
We applied in August 2010 and get our visas next week. So that's 11 months. That's for Federal Skilled Worker.

However, we were caught in the "early" turmoil with a big backlog at CIO last summer and also the movement from CAIPS to GCMS. Those who applied after October 2010 are looking at nearer to 7 months to get visa.

Having said that, there are July/August/September 2010 applicants who have not yet gone into process, so the timelines are approximately.

Those who applied prior to June 2010 are on a bit of a backburner and will be on longer timescales.

By talking of formal offers, I assume you do not have experience in one of the 29 in-demand occupations, and are therefore looking to apply in Category 2? Seems Category 2 are taking longer to process, presumably because of checking out the validity of the job offers but they have a separate team, so honestly no real idea what the delay is there.

My best guess is that if you applied now - you'd be looking at between 7 and 14 months for the visa.

Best of luck.
Wayne.
Waggle is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:38 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
gaz555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Wow! I had no idea it was that quick - that would fit perfectly with my schedule. The posts I've been reading have been talking about 40 months or so.

As far as the 29 in demand careers are concerned - I'm pretty sure I'm covered but I'll have to double check with a consultant. I'm looking at 1122 professional occupations in business services to management - I've spent the last three years in project and programme management office roles in the public and defence sectors, numerous professional qualifications (internationally recognised) and a business degree - I feel I could satisfy the description given for 1122 but I may need to get HR letters to verify the duties involved in the roles to be safe tho.
gaz555 is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:38 am
  #4  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Originally Posted by gaz555
Hi folks,

new member to the forum but have been a reader for years.

I've read everything I can get my hands on in terms of getting PR visas for Canada, but I'm still confused about them.

Is it just me or is all information online and most discussions really out of date? Everything online seems to be about 4 years old.

I'm desparate to start my application asap but need to know I'm doing it in the fastest possible way - I want to be cleared to live and work in Canada as quickly as humanly (and legally) possible.

A few threads have mentioned a relatively new "fast-track" visa process, with references to the new and old systems.

I score enough points to get a skilled worker visa even without employment and I'm pretty sure I know a company that would give me a formal offer if i need it - though they aren't my first choice.

How fast is this ilusive fast-track - 12 months? 24 months? 40 months?

Many thanks for your help in advance.
Scoring enough points is only enough if your job is on 'the list' http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...structions.asp
otherwise you need an approved job offer. There is also a quota for each category, so once that is full then you have to wait until the next year and hope it is still on the list.

You may also want to read this http://www.wildyimmigration.com/news

And watch this for updates http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

For 1122 you may want to get a move on as it will fill quickly for 2011/2012, if not already.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 11th 2011 at 9:46 am.
Aviator is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:07 pm
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

As The Aviator said, you'll need to get a wiggle on if you want to be able to apply this year. The quota has just opened (1st July), but only 500 applications will be taken before it closes, and given the large amount of people who missed out last year and will have been sitting with complete applications just waiting to send them in on 1st July, I wouldn't expect it to take more than 3 or 4 weeks (at most) to fill. It only took 2 months last time, and there were 1000 applications accepted then.

Given that you'll need to get your IELTS results and all of your paperwork, I don't think you'll manage to get your application in before the quota is reached, but get cracking and give it a go.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:49 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
gaz555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to start completing the forms today. If I miss out then at least I'm set for next year.

Am I right in thinking that if I miss out on the 500 quota, that I can still apply if I have a job offer?

If the quota is filled, do I get my application fee refunded?
gaz555 is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:05 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Waggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Loughborough, England, UK
Posts: 908
Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Originally Posted by gaz555
Wow! I had no idea it was that quick - that would fit perfectly with my schedule. The posts I've been reading have been talking about 40 months or so.

As far as the 29 in demand careers are concerned - I'm pretty sure I'm covered but I'll have to double check with a consultant. I'm looking at 1122 professional occupations in business services to management - I've spent the last three years in project and programme management office roles in the public and defence sectors, numerous professional qualifications (internationally recognised) and a business degree - I feel I could satisfy the description given for 1122 but I may need to get HR letters to verify the duties involved in the roles to be safe tho.
Hi - ok then you may have a secondary problem. There is a maximum cap of 500 applications per NOC (last year it was 1000). Based on last year, 1122 is the most popular NOC.

Last year it took about 3.5 months to fill and was the fastest to fill up, but the first 2 months of that were mainly people gathering documents and taking IELTS etc, so most of them were from September and October.

It is estimated this year that the CAP will fill for 1122 in 2 to 6 weeks. So realistically you would need to get an application in by the end of this month to have any chance of making it inside the cap.

The total applications received will be published here when they are available (guessing in the next week or so). Once we see the first set of figures we might get an idea as to how quickly the various NOCs are filling up.

Have you already taken an IELTS test?

Wayne.
Waggle is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:07 pm
  #8  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Originally Posted by gaz555
Thank you for the advice, I'm going to start completing the forms today. If I miss out then at least I'm set for next year.
Don't worry about the forms yet, concentrate on the things that will take the longest i.e. book your IELTS, get your degree transcripts and police check ordered etc.

Originally Posted by gaz555
Am I right in thinking that if I miss out on the 500 quota, that I can still apply if I have a job offer?
You can, but it must be a job offer approved by HRSDC. Meaning that you must either have an AEO (which takes 6 months to obtain - and you cannot apply for PR until you've got it, so your potential employer is looking at a hell of a long wait for you to start work!), or a LMO if you go over on a Temp Work Permit first.

Originally Posted by gaz555
If the quota is filled, do I get my application fee refunded?
Yes.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:08 pm
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi - ok then you may have a secondary problem. There is a maximum cap of 500 applications per NOC (last year it was 1000). Based on last year, 1122 is the most popular NOC.

Last year it took about 3.5 months to fill and was the fastest to fill up, but the first 2 months of that were mainly people gathering documents and taking IELTS etc, so most of them were from September and October.

It is estimated this year that the CAP will fill for 1122 in 2 to 6 weeks. So realistically you would need to get an application in by the end of this month to have any chance of making it inside the cap.

The total applications received will be published here when they are available (guessing in the next week or so). Once we see the first set of figures we might get an idea as to how quickly the various NOCs are filling up.

Have you already taken an IELTS test?

Wayne.
Is there an echo in here - didn't I just say all that?!?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:27 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
gaz555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Right.

Guys - cards on the table, I'm totally ill-prepared and have underestimated how long this will all take. I'd idly thought I'd put in my application in the next month or so and everything would be fine. I feel a bit foolish now, but I didn't want to start badgering people with questions until I was ready to proceed - if only I'd asked this a month ago.

But, it ain't over till the larger-lady sings. If I miss it, I miss it but at least I've tried.

I'm on a blackberry at work at the month, so can't get properly online - but if anyone fancies helping me prepare the fastest visa application completion ever I'd really appreciate it. If nothing else it'll be 'one for the forum' as an example of just how quickly it can be done.

So step one is book an IELTS, get police certificate and order degree transcript? I can do all of these from work today I think.

'Degree transcript' is this either a certificate or a letter from the university confirming I have a degree/what grade, etc.? If so I have both - the letter is a few years old but I have it, can't think why.

Police certificate I'll get ordered, been in security-cleared jobs for 3 years, don't know if this'll make any difference?

Are there any other providers other than IELTS?

Thank you very much once again.
gaz555 is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:42 pm
  #11  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Originally Posted by gaz555
'Degree transcript' is this either a certificate or a letter from the university confirming I have a degree/what grade, etc.? If so I have both - the letter is a few years old but I have it, can't think why.
No, you need a sealed transcript from university (basically it gives details of all your modules and marks for them, and is additional to your degree certificate - which you also need to provide). Some universities will provide them for free, some make a small charge, but it'll probably take a couple of weeks to obtain. Do note it *must* be sealed, so don't open it when it arrives!

Originally Posted by gaz555
Police certificate I'll get ordered, been in security-cleared jobs for 3 years, don't know if this'll make any difference?
No, you need an ACPO police check for immigration purposes so your security clearance or anything else you've had done like a CRB check make no difference at all. ACPO is the only one accepted. Takes around 2 weeks to obtain (they do have a quicker service, but there's no point in you paying for it as it'll still be here before you have everything else together if you order it quickly).

Originally Posted by gaz555
Are there any other providers other than IELTS?
No, you must provide an IELTS result, and note that it must be the 'general' test, not the 'academic' one. There is usually a wait of a few weeks for a test, then another couple of weeks before you get the result, hence why this needs to be your first step. Whilst you're waiting for it, you can crack on with getting everything else together and forms filled.

Other things that you might want to think about are getting photos done (not normal passport photos, they have specific sizes they require - Snappy Snaps do them if you take the photo specifications in - you also need to provide photos with your police check application), proof of funds i.e. bank statement - if you normally bank online it can take a week or two to get a paper statement, identity documents i.e. dig out your birth certificate, marriage certificate etc, work references (from the past 10 years, so you may need to contact past employers), etc. Download the application guide and document checklist as soon as you can and then you can see what you need to provide.

HTH, good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:53 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
gaz555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Thank you again christmasoompa.

Been onto acpo - they can have my police certificate with me in 2 days plus 2 days receipt/delivery.

I'll get onto Uni - shouldn't be a problem, I work nearby and will happily go and bug the student registry till they give me it.

Problem is, as anticipated, the ielts. The earliest I can get one is the 30th July. If they don't give you the results on the day then the delay could be the killer - going to call in a second to ask them. Realistically if I put it all in special delivery the day I get my ielts results - do you reckon I'm going to miss the quota?

Do the degree transcripts/IELTS have an expiry date or could I use them again in a year, if I absolutley had to wait that long?
gaz555 is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:59 pm
  #13  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Originally Posted by gaz555
Been onto acpo - they can have my police certificate with me in 2 days plus 2 days receipt/delivery.
As I said above, not much point in paying for the speedy service, as 2 weeks will be fine - you won't have everything else before then anyway. Your call though.

Originally Posted by gaz555
Problem is, as anticipated, the ielts. The earliest I can get one is the 30th July.
That's actually quite quick, normally it's a 4 week or so wait for a test. But have you checked several different test centres? May be that one further away has an earlier slot, I know it means you travelling further but it may just be worth it.

They don't give you the results on the day I don't think, I thought you had to wait a couple of weeks to get them by post?

Originally Posted by gaz555
Do the degree transcripts/IELTS have an expiry date or could I use them again in a year, if I absolutley had to wait that long?
Your transcript wouldn't expire, the IELTS is valid for a year so that would be fine. The only thing that you'd have to do again is the police check (as it must be less than 3 months old when submitted), any forms that have changed, and updated info i.e. employment records etc.

But do remember that there is no guarantee that 1122 will be on next year's list, it was actually expected by most to be dropped from this years, so don't count on being able to apply next July as things may have changed.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:09 pm
  #14  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

And another thing, do double check that you definitely come under NOC 1122, as you mention above that you are not 100% sure. No point spending money on police checks, IELTS, etc, if you don't do the duties to qualify!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:13 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
gaz555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new "Fast track" PR visa???

Yeah - I am quite worried about that. Is there any way of definitively checking or do I just have to try and demonstrate how I meet the criteria?
gaz555 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.